|By PR Newswire||
|January 13, 2014 05:19 PM EST||
LONDON, January 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
Rapidly increasing obesity rates, poor nutrition and lifestyle choices do not set the scene for a healthy Britain, and whilst many of us are counting calories and pounding the treadmill at the gym in attempt to fulfill our new year's resolutions, the obesity time bomb continues to quietly tick away across the nation.
Global nutrition company Herbalife, today welcomed the opportunity to highlight the issues raised in the recent report published by the National Obesity Forum auditing the state of obesity in the UK. Commenting on the news, Consultant Nutritionist to Herbalife, Miguel Toribio-Mateas said: "The report highlights the extent of the obesity problem we are facing and rightly addresses the call to proactively target the issue now before we reach dangerous levels of obesity here in the UK.
"More importantly, it has shown that there needs to be more of a focus on independent action & education that encourages people to take control of their health and ensure a better lifestyle for themselves and their families. This includes education around better nutrition, the importance of regular daily exercise and healthy lifestyle options that span all ages. Watching for early signs of obesity will help. If your waistline is steadily growing larger, it's time to take action and reverse the trend. Everyone is different, but some basic advice works for everyone with a weight issue":
- "Cut out sugar and all foods containing masses of added sugar, e.g. cakes and biscuits. The WHO's nutrition guidance expert advisory group (NUGAG) recommend that sugar should not account for more than 10% of the calories in our diet. Raised blood sugar levels increase your chances of developing not only obesity but diabetes and cardiovascular disease, as identified by researchers at the British Heart Foundation".
- "Dramatically reduce starch, that's bread, pasta, potatoes and rice".
- "Make green vegetables your staple food. Have them any way you like: steamed, stir fried, raw, juiced or blended".
- "Up your protein. Lean meat and fish provide you with energy that's sustainably released during the day. Metabolising protein takes longer than carbohydrates, which burns more calories in itself. Good quality protein isolates/concentrates made into shakes also provide an excellent source of protein and have the advantage of portability, ideal for those with busy lifestyles who may not be able to cook meals from scratch twice a day".
- "Up your healthy fats from oily fish, nuts and olive oil. Oily fish contains vitamin D, which has been scientifically proven to reduce obesity rates at adequate levels. We make vitamin D from the sun, and we get little of it during the winter, so including good food sources of vitamin D is paramount. Full fat dairy products are also a great source, and they contain vitamin K2, which helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels".
- "Half of my ideal plate to combat obesity would be made up of green and other bright coloured vegetables. The remaining half would comprise one part lean protein, with the other part split between fruit, good fats and starch-containing foods, with flexibility to increase fat and exclude starch content. I would definitely remove all sugar-laden foods and include a shake made with a combination of fruit and vegetables and a prime quality protein isolate/concentrate, which could substitute a main meal, such as breakfast".
Herbalife has 30 years' experience at the forefront of nutrition and weight management science. Its
weight management products are guided by leading experts in the fields of nutrition and health in order to help support a healthy lifestyle. The company's Formula 1 Shakes are the world's number 1 selling meal replacement helping to tackle obesity and weight management issues head-on by supporting good health and effective weight control. People also receive support through the thousands of Herbalife Weight Loss Challenges that run throughout the UK and Ireland, receiving invaluable guidance and advice that enable them to make positive, long term changes to their health.
Country Director for UK and Ireland, Gavin Aley said: "We know that obesity is a direct cause of many health problems and we're playing a proactive role in helping to support people in their weight management issues. Scientific studies show that daily use of meal replacement shakes, along with moderate exercise, is effective in managing weight. Our Herbalife shakes can be consumed once a day as a meal replacement for a healthy, nutritious breakfast, or twice a day in place of meals for controlled weight loss. It's clear there are some real issues that affect weight management but good nutrition along with encouragement and support is a great place to start.
Herbalife Formula 1 shakes
Designed to compliment a healthy, active lifestyle, Herbalife offers a range of nutritious products to support weight loss and good nutrition. Herbalife Formula 1 protein shakes are formulated with an excellent balance of high quality soy protein, with essential micronutrients, botanicals and herbs that deliver real benefits to the body - whether you're looking to lose weight, shape up or simply ensure healthier nutrition.
Containing just 220 kcals per serving, Formula 1 is available in a variety of flavours and there is a dairy & gluten free option - Vanilla 'Free From' containing pisane - a naturally derived pea protein to deliver all the benefits of standard F1 shakes, minus the gluten, lactose and soy - a great option for those with specific dietary requirements that want all of the calorie-controlled benefits of standard F1 shakes.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
Herbalife Ltd. (NYSE:HLF) is a global nutrition company that sells weight-management, nutrition, and personal care products intended to support a healthy lifestyle. Herbalife products are sold in more than 80 countries to and through a network of independent distributors. The company supports the Herbalife Family Foundation and its Casa Herbalife program to help bring good nutrition to children. Herbalife's website contains information about Herbalife, including financial and other information for investors at http://ir.Herbalife.com. The company encourages investors to visit its website from time to time, as information is updated and new information is posted.
*Nutritional Scientist, Miguel Toribio-Mateas is Chairman of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy and lecturer at the Institute for Optimum Nutrition and The University of West London.