|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2014 01:11 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Massively Open Online Courses ("MOOCs") are open free courses by some of the world's leading universities, organizations, and industry experts. Majority of the University MOOCs are the same or very similar to courses being taught on the ground at their campuses and for much higher tuition prices. Most MOOCs offer a free Certificate of Completion for those who successfully complete the MOOC.
For students wanting to showcase their MOOC courses and achievements to employers, schools and others, a new optional type of paid "Verified Certificate" credential verifying the identity of the person who took and completed the MOOC is now available.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs will verify your identity through a variety of means that can include webcam, keystroke analysis, valid photo identification, and/or test centers. Each MOOC provider can require different methods of identification in order to grant the Verified Certificate. Make sure to read the MOOC's requirements closely prior to enrolling in the course because most Verified Certificate fees must be paid at the beginning of the course and are not refundable. While most of these Verified Certificate MOOCs do not yet offer credit, some institutions may provide cost-savings incentives if you enroll in one of their related existing online degree programs.
The new Verified Certificate MOOCs are a critical step forward for the MOOC movement in continuing to attract larger global audiences as they create viable "affordable" credential value for the serious MOOC students. They also represent a volume revenue opportunity and potential key piece of the sustainable business models of most MOOC providers.
Some quick findings from the study include:
- Over 80% of the current Verified Certificate MOOCs are priced under $49.00
- The lowest priced Verified Certificate MOOC found was the University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) MOOC: "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics" at $25.
- Only three Verified Certificates were priced at $100 or greater, and these were MIT's $100 (Minimum) MIT: "The Analytics Edge"; MIT's $100 (Minimum) "Flight Vehicle Aerodynamics", and Futurelearn/University of Warwick £119 (Approx. $195) "The mind is flat: the shocking shallowness of human psychology."
- How are these Verified Certificate MOOCs priced? No "standard" Verified Certificate pricing equation was found to account for the different price points discovered, but the majority are priced at $49 with the $39 and $50 price-points ranking in second and third place. Some of the factors that may have played a part in the pricing of these include: profile of MOOCs target audience (ie, educators, engineers, etc); MOOCs faculty team; MOOCs production costs; currency; University's social mission; University brand; level of MOOC content interest/availability, and MOOCthink (ie, charging what other similar universities are charging).
Verified Certificate MOOCs are available in many subjects, and the full list of the 100+ included in this study is available at http://www.moocsuniversity.org/academic-mooc-pathways.html, but below are some examples that showcase the diversity of the courses available:
- $25 - University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley): "Introduction to Statistics: Descriptive Statistics"
- $29 - Nanyang Technological University: "Beauty, Form & Function: An Exploration of Symmetry"
- $39 - Berklee College of Music: "Songwriting" Or "Introduction to Guitar" Or "Jazz Improvisation"
- $39 - John Hopkins School of Nursing: "Care of Elders with Alzheimer's Disease and other Major Neurocognitive Disorders"
- $39 - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: "What's Your Big Idea?"
- $39 - Northwestern University: "Content Strategy for Professionals: Engaging Audiences for Your Organization"
- $49 - The Chinese University of Hong Kong: "Information Theory"
- $49 - Duke University: "Introductory Human Physiology"
- $49 - University of Edinburgh: "Equine Nutrition"
- $49 - HEC Paris: "Understanding Europe: Why It Matters and What It Can Offer You"
- $49 - Universiteit Leiden: "Terrorism and Counterterrorism - Comparing Theory and Practice"
- $49 - University of Maryland: "Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems"
- $49 - Wharton - University of Pennsylvania: "An Introduction to Operations Management"
- $49 - Yale University: "Roman Architecture" Or "Constitutional Law"
- $50 - Australian National University (ANU): "Engaging India"
- $50 -University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin): "Effective Thinking Through Mathematics"
- $50 - MIT: "Entrepreneurship 101: Who is your customer?"
- $69 - University of California San Francisco: "Poisonings in the Home and Community: Assessment and Emergency Response"
- $100 (Minimum) - MIT: "The Analytics Edge"
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE MOOCs University
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the...
Jun. 3, 2015 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,321
"Ulunsoft is a start-up that focuses on how enterprises build cloud-based IT infrastructure for business," explained Haibo Zhu, President of Ulunsoft Corp, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,412
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,417
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Jun. 3, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,456
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Jun. 3, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,036
"SOASTA built the concept of cloud testing in 2008. It's grown from rather meager beginnings to where now we are provisioning hundreds of thousands of servers on a daily basis on behalf of customers around the world to test their applications," explained Tom Lounibos, CEO of SOASTA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,493
The basic integration architecture, as defined by ESBs, hasn’t changed for more than a decade. Most cloud integration providers still rely on an ESB architecture and their proprietary connectors. As a result, enterprise integration projects suffer from constraints of availability and reliability of these connectors that are not re-usable across other integration vendors. However, the rapid adoption of APIs and almost ubiquitous availability of APIs amongst most SaaS and Cloud applications are ra...
Jun. 3, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 826
"We have developers who are really passionate about getting their code out to customers, no matter what, in the shortest possible time. Operations are very focused on procedures and policies," explained Stan Klimoff, CTO of Qubell, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,050
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
Jun. 3, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,739
SYS-CON Events announced today that SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SUSE provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help ...
Jun. 3, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,271
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
Jun. 3, 2015 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,433
“Will Jaya is a direct source for server integration and storage solutions. If you are looking for any specific configurations for a project we can help you configure based on your needs and requirements," explained Netty Goya, CEO of Will Jaya, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,592
"SendGrid sends about 15 billion emails a month and process all the events associated with that, about a trillion events a year," explained Aaron Beach, Senior Data Scientist at SendGrid, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 864
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable o...
Jun. 3, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,981
“Connect2Me is basically a game changer in the IoT industry. We have created IoT connecter middleware that can enable a connection to any kind of device," explained Yasser Khan, CTO of Connect2Me, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,136