|By PR Newswire||
|January 20, 2014 06:00 AM EST||
BETHANY, Conn., Jan. 20, 1014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- AMxTek LLC announced today the USPTO 'Notice of Allowance' regarding claims pertaining to U.S. Patent Publication # US2011/0196502, entitled: Methods of Using Water-Soluble Inorganic Compounds for Implants. The patent provides for the use of inorganic compounds, more specifically bioactive glass, to enhance osteostimulative bone ingrowth and provide broad-spectrum antimicrobial implant prophylaxis. The intellectual property has broad clinical application in the fields of orthopedic trauma, reconstruction and revision surgery, as well as spinal and dental implants. Details regarding the intellectual property can be found on the AMxTek blog at: http://amxtek.com/blog/2014/01/13/uspto-notice-of-allowance/
Aseptic loosening of orthopedic implants has been a primary cause of revision surgery. Additionally, another 14% of such revision surgeries have been attributed to implant infection1. A prosthetic hip infection in the U.S. costs between $60,000 - $70,000 to treat2. Hospital Acquired Infections in the U.S. account for nearly 99,000 annual deaths3; the cost of care of which is estimated to be $35.7 – $45.0B/yr.4 The intellectual property provides for the release of calcium and other osteostimulative ions, upon the dissolution of bioactive glass, which up-regulates osteoblast growth factor gene expression and bone matrix deposition5-7. When such bioactive glass incorporates silver-oxide compounds its dissolution releases ionic silver, which provides broad-spectrum antimicrobial implant prophylaxis. The technology therefore provides for osteoblast stimulated implant fixation and antimicrobial prophylaxis.
"By combining bioactive glass of differing solubilities, particle size and/or silver concentration, one can custom-tailor antimicrobial elution kinetics to correspond with the clinical need", said Jim Walls, AMxTek's President. "The high temperature stability of bioactive glass also accommodates various implant terminal sterilization methods, including autoclave, without adversely affecting or degrading the osteostimulative and/or antimicrobial properties of the implant."
AMxTek will be seeking business development, co-development or other commercial opportunities for the intellectual property. Continuing application filings, based upon the original U.S. Patent Application, are envisioned.
About AMxTek LLC
AMxTek LLC is a combination product, medical device consulting and intellectual property development company. The company assists corporate clients with front-end technology needs, technology due diligence, product development and US FDA regulatory strategy, pathway development and filings, associated with antimicrobial and osteogenic medical devices and implants. AMxTek also develops intellectual property for license when technology can be brought to bear on unmet clinical needs, particularly in the field of Hospital Acquired Infections.
- Kazemzadeh-Narbat M, et al.: Antimicrobial Peptides on Calcium Phosphate-coated Titanium for the Prevention of Implant-Associated Infections; Biomaterials; 2010; 31:9519-9526
- Kienapfel H, Kuhn K-D [Eds]: The Infected Implant; Springer 2009; Chapter 6, pp. 20
- Klevens RM, et al.: Estimating Health Care-Associated Infections and Deaths in U. S. Hospitals, 2002; Public Health Report 2007; 122:160-166
- Scott II RD: The Direct Medical Costs Of Healthcare-Associated Infections in U. S. Hospitals and the Benefit of Prevention; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; March 2009
- Hench LL: The Story of Bioglass®; J Mater Sci; Mater Med (2006) 17: 967-978
- Barradas A: Molecular analysis of biomaterial-driven osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells; BioInterface 2011
- Qui Z, et al.: Ionic dissolution products of NovaBone promote osteoblastic proliferation via influences on the cell cycle; J of International Medical Research, 2009; 37(3): 737-45
Media Contact: James Walls, AMxTek LLC, 203-393-1387, firstname.lastname@example.org
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE AMxTek LLC