|By PR Newswire||
|January 23, 2014 02:41 PM EST||
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The ballots are in and Dominican Republic has once again ranked as one of the top vacation destinations in the Caribbean. Astute travelers and tourism professionals recognized the country not only for its diverse destinations and unique splendors, but also for its signature hospitality. It's easy to see how the majestic island nation is on track to achieve record tourism numbers once again as it offers a variety of exciting experiences for every type of traveler.
"We are honored to be recognized by well-respected industry experts and publications," said Magaly Toribio, Marketing Advisor for the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism. "Dominican Republic is one of the most historic and culturally rich destinations in the Caribbean and earning such accolades validates the effort of our tourism industry who invest in making the country an attractive vacation choice."
Some of Dominican Republic's top honors for 2013 included:
2013 Top Travel Destinations
- Lonely Planet named Dominican Republic as one of its "Top 10 Countries for 2013."
- The American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) named Punta Cana an official summer hotspot in 2013, while GoGoBot included it as a destination ripe for rediscovery in 2013.
- Resonance Consultancy and the Luxury Institute in New York declared Dominican Republic as one of the "Top 10 Most Visited Island Destinations" for U.S. luxury travelers.
- The online home of Forbes Travel Guide, Startle, included Dominican Republic on its "25 Places to Visit in 2013."
- Fodor's Travel named the Samana Peninsula as a "Must-Visit Destination in 2013."
- Dominican Republic is one of the top ten destinations among Hispanic travelers in the U.S. according to research by Hotels.
- Fly featured Dominican Republic in "America's 20 Most Popular International Destinations for Summer Travel."
- Leading Hotels of the World (LHW) awarded Tortuga Bay at PUNTACANA Resort & Club with the Commitment to Quality Award, while U.S. News & World Resorts named it the Caribbean's No. 1 Hotel.
- Holiday Check featured Secrets Royal Beach Hotels, IBEROSTAR Dominicana and IBEROSTAR Bavaro in Punta Cana, and IBEROSTAR Hacienda Dominicus in La Romana as among the most popular hotels in its "99 Favorite Hotels in the World."
- In its 25th annual Reader's Choice Awards, Conde Nast Traveler's enthusiasts selected The Peninsula House in Samana as No. 7 among the "Top 100 Hotels in the World."
- Santo Domingo's Hostal Nicolas de Ovando was recognized as the "Best Hotel in Santo Domingo" by New World Report Magazine.
- Casa de Campo was awarded membership in Preferred Hotels and Resorts, a luxury hotel collection and brand of Preferred Hotel Group.
- The Bannister Hotel in Samana joined the privileged list of establishments registered in the 4 Diamond Category in American Automobile Association's (AAA) tourist guide.
- Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club (LHVC) in Puerto Plata and AM Resorts Unlimited Vacation Club in La Romana and Punta Cana received the RCI Gold Crown Award due to high-quality standards, excellent service and continued commitment to provide guests with memorable vacations.
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort in Punta Cana received the Check Safety First (CSF) Award for its operations' high quality standards.
- La Romana's Casa de Campo was chosen for the sixth consecutive year as "The Leading Golf Resort in the World" at the World Travel Awards. Additional honors included placement on LINKS' "Top 25 Golf Resorts of the World," Meetings & Conventions' 2013 Gold Tee Award, and inclusion on Caribbean Journal's "Top 10 Golf Resort."
- PUNTACANA Resort & Club and its two championship courses, the La Cana Golf Club and the Corales Golf Club, were featured on Celebrated Living Magazine's prestigious "Platinum List."
- Dominican Republic was named the "2013 Golf Destination of the Year in the Caribbean and Latin America" by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators (IAGTO) for a second time.
- Dominican Republic's six IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts received environmental certification from the Environmental Law Institute (ELI) for their ecologically responsible development.
- IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts also earned the Green Key Environmental Certification for its environmental and sustainable tourism efforts, granted by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE).
- PUNTACANA Resort & Club received the Leader in Sustainable Tourism Award at the Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International's (HSMAI) Adrian Awards.
- Melia Hotels International (MHI) was awarded the EarthCheck Sustainable Tourism Certificate for Paradisus Palma Real, Paradisus Punta Cana and Melia Caribe Tropical.
About Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic's first tourist was Christopher Columbus in 1492. Rich in history, Dominican Republic has developed into a diverse destination offering both Dominican and European flavors to approximately five million global visitors in 2012. Named #1 Golf Destination in Caribbean & Latin America by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Dominican Republic boasts 28 designer golf courses, upscale resorts, pristine nature and sophisticated cities and quaint villages filled with warm Dominican people. Dominican Republic features the best beaches, fascinating history and culture, and is a chosen escape for celebrities, couples and families alike. Visit Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism's official website at: www.GoDominicanRepublic.com.
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
BVK Public Relations for DR Ministry of Tourism
Annie Holschuh: (414) 247-2140 / [email protected]
SOURCE Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism