|By Marketwired .
|February 4, 2014 11:41 AM EST
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/04/14 -- Did you know?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is here to help you during tax season. Here's some information you should know about your taxes, including ways to save money at tax time.
1. Plan ahead - Register for My Account and sign up for direct deposit, so you'll be ready when you file your income tax and benefit return. You can use My Account to view your tax slip information, your RRSP deduction limit, your TFSA contributions, and more. Also, be sure to file on time to avoid late-filing penalties and fees and to make sure your benefit and credit payments are not interrupted.
2. Tax-free savings account (TFSA) - Using a TFSA is a great way to save money. Generally, interest, dividends, and capital gains earned on investments in a TFSA are not taxable---either while held in the account or when withdrawn.
3. Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) - You can save on your taxes and save for your retirement at the same time. Contributions to your RRSP are tax-deductible, and any income that you earn in your RRSP accumulates tax-free as long as the funds stay in the plan. The RRSP contribution deadline for the 2013 tax year has been extended to Monday, March 3, 2014, as March 1 falls on a Saturday.
4. Charitable donations - Donations of cash, goods, land, or listed securities made to a registered charity or other qualified donee may be eligible for a charitable tax credit. Also, take advantage of the new first-time donor's super credit on gifts of money to a maximum of $1,000 made after March 20, 2013, if you are considered a first-time donor.
5. Families - There are many ways families can save at tax time. The activities you signed your kids up for may save you money on your taxes---save those receipts! If you care for dependants with a physical or mental impairment, you may be able to claim up to an additional amount of $2,040 when calculating certain non-refundable tax credits related to the family caregiver amount.
6. Students - Were you a student during 2013? You may be able to claim tuition, textbook, and education amounts, as well as the interest you paid on your student loan.
7. Public transit amount - If you use public transit, you may be able to save by claiming the cost of your transit passes.
8. Seniors - If you receive a pension, you may be able to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner to reduce the taxes that you pay. You may also be eligible to claim the age amount, medical expenses, and the disability tax credit.
9. Home buyers - You may be able to save up to $750 if you are a first-time home buyer in 2013.
10. Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) - If you need help filing your return and you have modest income and a simple tax situation, contact the CVITP, which runs volunteer tax clinics across the country. For more information on the CVITP, go to www.cra.gc.ca/volunteer.
Fast facts about filing your income tax return online
-- Filing your return online lets you get your refund faster and avoids
interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit or GST/HST credit
-- Filing online is easy. Certified software packages and web applications
(some of which are free to use) guide you through the process, making
sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for.
-- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online
security Canadian financial institutions use.
-- Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through the process
step by step.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
-- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
-- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
-- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY.
Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
Jun. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,751
ProfitBricks has an early preview of its new Docker hosting platform. The ProfitBricks Docker platform enables its customers to build fully-portable applications within the ProfitBricks cloud. Unlike other Docker platforms, ProfitBricks’ Docker provides developers and system administrators with a platform with dedicated resources that autoscales the Docker hosts. Early access customers will be able to utilize up to 2,500 CPU core hours as part of ProfitBricks’ early access Docker preview.
Jun. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 166
Containers Expo Blog covers the world of containers, as this lightweight alternative to virtual machines enables developers to work with identical dev environments and stacks. Containers Expo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Bookmark Containers Expo Blog ▸ Here Follow new article posts on Twitter at @ContainersExpo
Jun. 3, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,576
IBM has acquired Blue Box Group, Inc., a managed private cloud provider built on OpenStack. Customers benefit from the ability to more easily deploy workloads across hybrid cloud environments. Financial details were not disclosed.
Enterprises are seeking ways to embrace all types of cloud to address a wide range of workloads. Today's announcement reinforces IBM's commitment to deliver flexible cloud computing models that make it easier for customers to move to data and applications across cloud...
Jun. 3, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 305
2015 predictions circa 1970: houses anticipate our needs and adapt, city infrastructure is citizen and situation aware, office buildings identify and preprocess you. Today smart buildings have no such collective conscience, no shared set of fundamental services to identify, predict and synchronize around us. LiveSpace and M2Mi are changing that. LiveSpace Smart Environment devices deliver over the M2Mi IoT Platform real time presence, awareness and intent analytics as a service to local connecte...
Jun. 3, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,148
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,301
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional?
In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will addresses this very serious issue o...
Jun. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,315
paradigm shifts in networking, to cloud and licensure, and all the Internet of Things in between.
In 2014 automation was the name of the game. In his session at DevOps Summit, Matthew Joyce, a Sales Engineer at Big Switch, will discuss why in 2015 it’s complexity reduction.
Matthew Joyce, a sales engineer at Big Switch, is helping push networking into the 21st century. He is also a hacker at NYC Resistor. Previously he worked at NASA Ames Research Center with the Nebula Project (where OpenSta...
Jun. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,118
While there are hundreds of public and private cloud hosting providers to choose from, not all clouds are created equal. If you’re seeking to host enterprise-level mission-critical applications, where Cloud Security is a primary concern, WHOA.com is setting new standards for cloud hosting, and has established itself as a major contender in the marketplace. We are constantly seeking ways to innovate and leverage state-of-the-art technologies.
In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mike Rivera, Seni...
Jun. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,253
"Verizon Digital Media Services is responsible for the broadcast, video and content delivery network that accelerates, scales and helps our customers reach end users with all kinds of video and web content," stated James Segil, CMO of Verizon Digital Media Services, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,352
The most often asked question post-DevOps introduction is: “How do I get started?” There’s plenty of information on why DevOps is valid and important, but many managers still struggle with simple basics for how to initiate a DevOps program in their business. They struggle with issues related to current organizational inertia, the lack of experience on Continuous Integration/Delivery, understanding where DevOps will affect revenue and budget, etc.
In their session at DevOps Summit, JP Morgentha...
Jun. 3, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,126
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable o...
Jun. 3, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,024
The world is at a tipping point where the technology, the device and global adoption are converging to such a point that we will see an explosion of a world where smartphone devices not only allow us to talk to each other, but allow for communication between everything – serving as a central hub from which we control our world – MediaTek is at the heart of both driving this and allowing the markets to drive this reality forward themselves.
The next wave of consumer gadgets is here – smart, con...
Jun. 3, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,192
"At Harbinger we do products as well as services. Our services are with helping companies move their products to the cloud operating systems. Some of the challenges we have seen as far as cloud adoption goes are in the cloud security space," noted Shrikant Pattathil, Executive Vice President at Harbinger Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,308
The multi-trillion economic opportunity around the "Internet of Things" (IoT) is emerging as the hottest topic for investors in 2015. As we connect the physical world with information technology, data from actions, processes and the environment can increase sales, improve efficiencies, automate daily activities and minimize risk.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ed Maguire, Senior Analyst at CLSA Americas, will describe what is new and different about IoT, explore financial, technological and re...
Jun. 3, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,087