|By PR Newswire||
|February 4, 2014 11:55 AM EST||
CALGARY, Feb. 4, 2014 /CNW/ - Southern Alberta will soon have a new film studio and its first permanent sound stage. The studio will be developed by Calgary Economic Development.
"We're delivering on our promise to see a film studio built for southern
Alberta here in Calgary. Our competition process ensured the public,
private and industry support needed for a new studio was at the table.
We're confident in the new business model developed by Calgary Economic
Development and believe it has what it needs to be successful in
attracting and retaining film productions. This move forward is good
for the industry and good for Alberta - Alberta's film, television and
digital media industry was responsible for over $400 million in
economic activity over the last five years."
Heather Klimchuk, Minister of Culture
Calgary Economic Development (CED) was selected through an open competition process to receive $5 million in one-time funding from the Government of Alberta towards the development of a film studio for the Calgary region. Its proposal demonstrated strong community engagement and support from the private and nonprofit sectors, post-secondary institutions and Alberta's screen-based production industry.
"We're pleased to have been selected as the proponent for the Calgary
Film Studio. By working with industry and post-secondary partners to
develop purpose-built facilities, we envision the studio will allow the
Creative Industries sector to realize significant growth potential,
increase the retention of local talent and support the diversification
of our economy."
Bruce Graham, President and CEO, Calgary Economic Development
- Confirmation of the location for the studio will be forthcoming.
- The projected opening date is scheduled for summer 2015.
- The total projected cost is approximately $22.8 million.
- CED will be partnering with the ComWeb Group/William F. White International, and working with Lawson Projects and Pacifica Ventures in the development of the studio.
- The studio will feature two purpose-built sound stages (20,000 sq ft and 30,000 sq ft) with the ability to subdivide the larger studio.
- The studio will also include 18,000 sq ft of warehouse space with an additional 10,000 - 15,000 sq ft) for workshop / production, props, sets, wardrobes, etc.
- The new studio will be governed by a board of directors. William F. White International will be the anchor tenant and act as the sound stage operator.
- Every dollar government invests through the Alberta Media Fund in the film, television and digital media industry results in six dollars of economic activity in the province.
- Calgary and Southern Alberta account for 80 per cent of all production dollars spent in the province.
Studio space is critical in ensuring the continued success, viability and business attraction of Alberta's screen-based production sector. Southern Alberta currently does not have a purpose-built studio, resulting in an ongoing lack of capacity that limits opportunity for this region.
Under the Building Alberta Plan, our government is investing in families and communities, living within our means, and opening new markets for Alberta's resources to ensure we're able to fund the services Albertans told us matter most to them. We will continue to deliver the responsible change Albertans voted for.
(Photos and audio will be available following the event)
SOURCE Alberta Culture - Communications Branch
Image with caption: "Calgary film studio gets green-light for production (CNW Group/Alberta Culture - Communications Branch)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140204_C7379_PHOTO_EN_36214.jpg