|By PR Newswire||
|February 5, 2014 12:00 AM EST||
C40 cities deliver on climate action, nearly doubling reported activities compared to 2011 and proving C40's collaborative, global model is working
JOHANNESBURG, Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) released landmark research today demonstrating a clear trend of expanding and accelerating climate action in the world's megacities. Climate actions, such as implementing rigorous energy efficiency regulations for buildings, instituting bus rapid transit lines or flood mapping efforts, aim to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions and improve urban resilience to climate change.
"Mayors have real power to cut emissions and improve climate resilience, and they are taking action," said C40 Chair, Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes. "C40's networks and efforts on measurement and reporting are accelerating city-led action at a transformative scale around the world."
The report, Climate Action in Megacities Volume 2.0 (CAM 2.0), was developed in partnership with consultancy firm Arup and released today at the C40 Mayors Summit in Johannesburg. It clearly demonstrates that C40 cities are taking action, and are dedicated to working together in the fight against climate change. The research shows that across C40 cities, mayors hold the power to enact change – and this power is evidenced by widespread efforts across key sectors.
CAM 2.0 follows an initial report published in 2011, which provided an unprecedented benchmark of actions C40 Cities have taken, and an inventory of powers mayors hold over key climate protection sectors. Key findings of CAM 2.0 include:
- Reported action has nearly doubled since 2011, with cities now reporting more than 8,000 climate actions currently underway.
- 41% of actions are taking place at a transformative, citywide scale.
- 98% of reporting cities say climate change presents significant risks to their populations and infrastructure.
- C40's networks have successfully driven collaboration between cities and have led to massive scale-up of projects and programmes. For instance, there is a 500% increase in cities implementing bike-sharing schemes over just two years (6 in 2011 to 36 in 2013).
- Learning between cities is truly global. For example, the number of cities reporting BRT systems more than doubled between 2011 and 2013, with 13 forerunners in the global south and 16 successors largely in developed, western countries.
"C40's emphasis on measurement and reporting helps cities focus resources and spread the most effective solutions – and this report shows that our efforts are bringing powerful results. By using data to show what works – and what's possible – cities can inform the global conversation on climate change and contribute to aggressive national targets to reduce emissions," said Michael R. Bloomberg, philanthropist, 108th Mayor of New York City and President of the C40 Board.
"'Measurement for management' has been a key tenet of C40, and one that will remain central to C40's operations going forward," said Mark Watts, C40 Executive Director. "Our data will inform the strategic direction of C40 programmes and initiatives, and enable C40 cities to set targets, evaluate actions and access resources. This ability to target our efforts is critical, given the urgent need to reduce emissions and climate risks."
Supporting the launch of the report, Arup's UKMEA Chair, Alan Belfield, said, "The CAM 2.0 report stands as a testament to the tremendous work already being carried out by mayors and city authorities around the globe to tackle climate change and boost resilience. Not only that, but it also provides a readily accessible menu of actions that cities can take to improve peoples' lives and deliver value for money at the same time."
Top findings from key sectors include:
Adaptation & Water
- Cities are taking climate adaptation seriously – 98% of cities recognize it as a threat that presents significant risk, and they are allocating funding (80% of cities) and staff resources (83% of cities) to develop solutions.
- 89% and 77% of reporting cities have power to act on Adaptation and Water, respectively.
- 90% of responding cities are taking action on outdoor lighting to reduce emissions from streetlights and to introduce smart street lighting technology.
- Of the total actions addressing energy efficiency in buildings, 69% of actions focused on reducing energy demands in buildings, including insulation and monitoring energy usage.
- 84% and 88% of reporting cities have power to act on buildings and outdoor lighting, respectively.
- Waste-to-Energy is a cross-sector success with cities reporting the highest proportion (64%) of transformative and significant actions, including capturing methane gas at landfills and generating low carbon energy through anaerobic digestion at waste treatment facilities.
- One-third of energy supply actions planned for future expansion will focus on generating energy from waste.
- 49% of reporting cities have power over energy supply assets.
Finance & Economic Development
- 47% of cities have established their own funds to invest in energy efficiency, renewable energy or carbon reduction projects.
- Over 50% of all planned actions are already in the pilot stage, suggesting strong innovation and scaling potential.
- 70% of reporting cities have power over to act in the Finance & Economy sector.
- C40 cities are implementing more than 350 actions on sustainable community development, with a trend towards more transformative or significant actions, rather than pilots or proposed actions.
- 76% of cities intend to expand a community-scale development action already in progress, showing that cities are accelerating their response to climate change.
- 58% and 25% of reporting cities have power to act in the Food & Agriculture and Information & Communication Technology, sectors, respectively.
- The greatest increase in reported actions was found in the Transport sector, with 150% increase in actions compared to 2011.
- Cities are taking 1,534 actions in transport, 873 of which are in private transport, 661 on mass transit.
- 49% of reported actions are to promote walking and cycling – more than any other action area in private transport.
- 88% of reporting cities have power to act on transport.
- 65% of actions in waste reduction are in the transformative stage and are being delivered citywide.
- 92% of cities taking action on landfill management are implementing landfill gas management/gas to energy.
- 82% of reporting cities have power to act on waste.
The 63 C40 Cities represent 600 million people worldwide, 5% of global greenhouse gas emissions and 21% of GDP. At the Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, C40 announced that member cities' existing actions will reduce annual greenhouse gas emissions by 248 million tonnes by 2020; and that the potential reduction could be over 1 billion tonnes by 2030.
About C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40)
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) is a network of large and engaged cities from around the world committed to implementing meaningful and sustainable climate-related actions locally that will help address climate change globally. C40 was established in 2005 and expanded via a partnership in 2006 with President William J. Clinton's Climate Initiative (CCI). The current chair of the C40 is Rio de Janeiro Mayor Eduardo Paes; the 108th Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the Board. To learn more about the work of C40 and our Cities, please visit www.c40.org, follow us on Twitter @c40cities and like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/C40Cities.
Arup was appointed as the strategic adviser to the C40 in May 2009 and has a long track record in working with cities across the world to tackle the issues of climate change in the urban environment. Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects in the built environment. From 90 offices in 35 countries our 10,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants deliver innovative projects across the world with creativity and passion. For more information on Arup, please visit www.arup.com and follow us on Twitter @ArupGroup.
SOURCE C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,218
SOASTA, the leader in performance analytics, today reported record growth of the CloudTest community, exceeding 30,000 registered users of the CloudTest platform in Q1 2015. SOASTA also announced widespread adoption of its Web and mobile testing solutions, with more than 1,600 customers completing more than 285,000 tests using CloudTest during the quarter. This rapid growth shows that DevOps-driven digital businesses are embracing a more continuous approach to testing, and CloudTest is meeting t...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 956
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,512
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applicatio...
Apr. 18, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,202
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Compa...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,142
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communication...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,778
Chef and Canonical announced a partnership to integrate and distribute Chef with Ubuntu. Canonical is integrating the Chef automation platform with Canonical's Machine-As-A-Service (MAAS), enabling users to automate the provisioning, configuration and deployment of bare metal compute resources in the data center. Canonical is packaging Chef 12 server in upcoming distributions of its Ubuntu open source operating system and will provide commercial support for Chef within its user base.
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,703
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquir...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 879
PubNub on Wednesday released an open source template to allow developers to add Skype-like video chat into their apps. The free template provides a fully functional video chat platform using WebRTC, PubNub and Google Authentication for a global, reliable collaboration solution. “While the WebRTC protocol has created huge excitement as a way to deliver video chat ubiquitously, there’s still a gap between the protocol itself and the ability to deploy a working, globally scaled, collaboration appl...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,366
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,810
ProfitBricks has launched its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks has also introduced several libraries that enable developers to use their favorite language to code ...
Apr. 17, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,240
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 17, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,563
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists will discuss how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations m...
Apr. 17, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,616
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business applic...
Apr. 17, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,450
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the new data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Herzeliya, Israel, Stratoscale is redefining the data center, developing a hardware-agnostic, software platform hyper-converging compute, storage and networking across the rack or data center. The self-optimizing platform automatically distributes all physical...
Apr. 17, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,539