|By PR Newswire||
|February 5, 2014 05:13 PM EST||
NORWALK, Conn., Feb. 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Despite the billions of dollars spent on chocolate, jewelry and other "romantic" gifts annually, a new priceline.com (NASDAQ: PCLN) survey reveals that 64% of Americans are more likely to watch TV than get intimate with their significant other this Valentine's Day. So, what's the secret to breaking the pattern? According to the same survey, a change of scenery – along with some room service – might be the best way to light the fire. In fact, more than two in five (42%) Americans think they are more likely to "get lucky" in a hotel room.
"With Valentine's Day falling on a Friday this year, hotels won't have as many business travelers," said Leslie Cafferty, priceline.com Vice President. "This increased availability should create more opportunities for couples to find deals on even the most luxurious hotels and make this Valentine's Day extra special."
Cafferty offers the following tips for scoring the best deals for February 14, 2014:
- Take a "No Strings Attached" Approach: Shop around to find the best deal and don't let a tight budget close the door on a luxury hotel room. Average daily room rates for Valentine's Day 2014 are running about 18% higher than last year. But, with priceline.com's Express Deals®, guests can pick the deal with the hotel amenities and location they want and save up to 45% off published rates.
- Consider "Friends" with Benefits: Look for hotels offering Valentine's Day extras. Many hotels will toss in goodies, such as a bottle of champagne or chocolate-dipped strawberries among the freebies they offer for February 14th guests. These specials may be on a first-come, first-served basis, so it's a good idea to book as soon as possible.
- Stick Around for the Long Haul: With Presidents' Day falling on the Monday after Valentine's Day this year, consider celebrating the holiday over an extra-long weekend. Travelers can select 3-night vacation packages with hotel and air included, which can save as much as $200 per person. But, if you want to stay local instead, you're not alone! Last year, 51% of last-minute mobile bookers booked hotels that were 15 miles away or closer.
- Go the Extra Mile: Pour on the Valentine's Day charm with a 4- or 5-star hotel room and a luxury rental car. Priceline.com offers a selection of luxury rental cars, such as the Mercedes SLK and E Class convertible for those really looking to make an expression.
- Be Spontaneous: Leverage Priceline's free app for iOS and Andriod to find hotel deals at the last minute. In addition to Express Deals, priceline.com's Tonight-Only Deals service publishes last-minute hotels with specially discounted rates that can be booked up until midnight, for use that evening. And, lucky for those with companions who have smartphones, recent data from priceline.com found that mobile Valentine's Day planners are 60.1% more likely to book a 4-star or better hotel.
Couples looking for a little more action than Friday night's prime-time TV line-up should also look into some of America's most romantic hotels as rated by priceline.com users. Here is a snapshot of the top five 4- and 5-star properties.
- 5-Star Hotels: #1 The Venetian, Las Vegas, #2 Aria Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, #3 Intercontinental Buckhead, Atlanta, #4 Trump International Hotel, Las Vegas, and #5 The Palazzo Resort Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas.
- 4-Star Hotels: #1 Hyatt Regency St. Louis At The Arch, #2 Hyatt Regency Chicago, #3 Marriott New Orleans, #4 Omni Boston Parker House, and #5 Hotel Felix, Chicago.
Average daily room rates for Valentine's Day 2014 are currently starting at $129 for a 3-star hotel, $145 for a 3.5-star, $193 for a 4-star, $251 for a 4.5 star, and $278 for a 5-star hotel.
For more information and additional findings from priceline.com's Valentine's Day survey, check out the following infographic: http://visual.ly/one-night-get-lucky
Priceline.com, part of The Priceline Group [NASDAQ: PCLN], gives leisure travelers multiple ways to save on their airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, vacation packages and cruises. In addition to getting compelling published prices, travelers can take advantage of priceline.com's famous Name Your Own Price® service, which can deliver the lowest prices available, or the recently added Express Deals®, where travelers can take advantage of hotel discounts without bidding.
About the Survey
The Priceline.com Valentine's Day survey was conducted by Wakefield Research (www.wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 18+, between January 23rd and January 29th, 2014, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. adult population 18+. For the interviews conducted in this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample.