|By PR Newswire||
|February 6, 2014 12:05 AM EST||
LAGOS, Nigeria and NAIROBI, Kenya, Feb. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced new IT knowledge-building initiatives that will enable the existing and future workforce to develop new analytics, cloud and data skills crucial to the continent's economic growth and social development.
Today's technology based services in many African countries are often insufficient or merely addressing point-problems. The continent's challenges, stemming from a lack of key infrastructure, keeping pace with rapid urbanization and other factors, are impediments to developing a cohesive technology base across Africa.
"Leaders in business, education and government agree that enabling the existing and future workforce to perform at the cutting edge of technology trends such as big data, analytics and cloud computing is key to Africa's growth," said Takreem El Tohamy, General Manager IBM Middle East and Africa "This type of investment will help boost regional economic development across Africa and drive industrial innovation for the global economy."
Big Data and the derived technology solutions that create insight and actionable knowledge need to be an integral part of economic development and part of the social fabric. Advancing science and technology by developing skills across Africa to build a talent pipeline for future IBM, business partner and client hirings, are essential to fostering this economic growth. The IBM programs below are a key first step to making that a reality. Through new delivery models, such as SaaS, IBM is dramatically increasing its reach across the African continent.
IBM Africa Technical Institutes
- This initiative delivers technical education to the IBM ecosystem of clients and potential clients, business partners and academia to build the knowledge and skills base of IBM IT users
- The Africa Technical Institute has been rolled out in 11 countries will create further demand for deeper training and certification within the African IT community
- In total 400 clients, 200 Business Partners and 30 IBMers participated in 2013
Software Skills Enablement
- This program expands the technical talent base in Africa by offering training and academic skills certification on leading edge technology solutions such as Big Data, cloud computing and mobile services
- Using channels such as mobile-enabled education delivery and SaaS, the goal is to create a pool of prospective new hires in Africa for clients, business partners and IBM subsidiaries
- A personalized education portal presents clear roadmaps and provides tests and tracking towards certifications for next generation technologies
- Piloted in 2013, this skills enablement delivery model will reach 3500 African faculty and students
University Relations and Faculty Awards
- IBM has deep relationships with universities across Africa and is working with faculty to develop data-driven degree programs, coursework and specialization tracks
- IBM will award grants to faculty to drive curriculum development and research that will deliver business and technical solutions to advance the key industries of Africa such as banking, telco and natural resources
- Collaborating with universities across Africa on topics such as sensor-based precision agriculture, renewable energy technologies, energy forecasting, real-time Big Data analytics, and nanotechnology. Many of the research activities will be geared towards having transformational impact on developing economies
LEADing to Africa internship program
- IBM's global internship programs provide assignments for students to become familiar with IBM's organization, work style, culture and global reach. The LEADing to Africa internship program builds an important recruitment channel across our business in Africa by providing a short-term real, world experience in other IBM markets
- Students will foster real-world skills in the fields of Big Data & analytics, cloud, business, economics, math, engineering and computer science. Students in this program have expressed interest in working in Africa upon graduation and will have access to channels to stay connected to IBM and Africa while in their internship assignment, during their studies and for their future career paths.
- Recruitment is currently open: http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/emea/africa/
These programs are examples of a set of investments that IBM is making to support IT skills development in Africa. IBM continues to expand our presence across Africa working with local businesses, partners, clients and communities in building Africa's innovation, skills, IT capabilities and talent.
Most companies hope for rapid growth so it's important to invest in scalable core technologies that won't demand a complete overhaul when a business goes through a growth spurt. Cloud technology enables previously difficult-to-scale solutions like phone, network infrastructure or billing systems to automatically scale based on demand. For example, with a virtual PBX service, a single-user cloud phone service can easily transition into an advanced VoIP system that supports hundreds of phones and ...
May. 25, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,694
"We have developers who are really passionate about getting their code out to customers, no matter what, in the shortest possible time. Operations are very focused on procedures and policies," explained Stan Klimoff, CTO of Qubell, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 25, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,746
The worldwide cellular network will be the backbone of the future IoT, and the telecom industry is clamoring to get on board as more than just a data pipe. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Evan McGee, CTO of Ring Plus, Inc., discussed what service operators can offer that would benefit IoT entrepreneurs, inventors, and consumers. Evan McGee is the CTO of RingPlus, a leading innovative U.S. MVNO and wireless enabler. His focus is on combining web technologies with traditional telecom to create a ...
May. 25, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,606
Agility is top of mind for Cloud/Service providers and Enterprises alike. Policy Driven Data Center provides a policy model for application deployment by decoupling application needs from the underlying infrastructure primitives. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, David Klebanov, a Technical Solutions Architect with Cisco Systems, discussed how it differentiates from the software-defined top-down control by offering a declarative approach to allow faster and simpler application deployment. Davi...
May. 25, 2015 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,863
In today's digital world, change is the one constant. Disruptive innovations like cloud, mobility, social media, and the Internet of Things have reshaped the market and set new standards in customer expectations. To remain competitive, businesses must tap the potential of emerging technologies and markets through the rapid release of new products and services. However, the rigid and siloed structures of traditional IT platforms and processes are slowing them down – resulting in lengthy delivery ...
May. 25, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,153
Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), and search analytics (SSA). We also provide Search and Big Data consulting services and offer 24/7 production support for Solr and Elasticsearch.
May. 25, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,842
Plutora provides enterprise release management and test environment SaaS solutions to clients in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. Leading companies across a variety of industries, including financial services, telecommunications, retail, pharmaceutical and media, rely on Plutora's SaaS solutions to orchestrate releases and environments faster and with integrity. Products include Plutora Release Manager, Plutora Test Environment Manager and Plutora Deployment Manager.
May. 25, 2015 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,861
WSM International has launched a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of the organization. According to a recent press release from Gartner, "By 2016, DevOps will evolve from a niche strategy employed by large cloud ...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,921
Disruptive macro trends in technology are impacting and dramatically changing the "art of the possible" relative to supply chain management practices through the innovative use of IoT, cloud, machine learning and Big Data to enable connected ecosystems of engagement. Enterprise informatics can now move beyond point solutions that merely monitor the past and implement integrated enterprise fabrics that enable end-to-end supply chain visibility to improve customer service delivery and optimize sup...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,797
Over the last few years the healthcare ecosystem has revolved around innovations in Electronic Health Record (HER) based systems. This evolution has helped us achieve much desired interoperability. Now the focus is shifting to other equally important aspects - scalability and performance. While applying cloud computing environments to the EHR systems, a special consideration needs to be given to the cloud enablement of Veterans Health Information Systems and Technology Architecture (VistA), i.e....
May. 25, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,970
WSM International is launching a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. This is the first independent services company to create a dedicated practice to help organizations looking to transition to the DevOps model. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of ...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,557
Cloud is not a commodity. And no matter what you call it, computing doesn’t come out of the sky. It comes from physical hardware inside brick and mortar facilities connected by hundreds of miles of networking cable. And no two clouds are built the same way. SoftLayer gives you the highest performing cloud infrastructure available. One platform that takes data centers around the world that are full of the widest range of cloud computing options, and then integrates and automates everything. J...
May. 25, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,015
With the arrival of the Big Data revolution, a data professional is expected to master a broad spectrum of complex domains including data processing, mathematics, programming languages, machine learning techniques, and business knowledge. While this mastery is undoubtedly important, this narrow focus on tool usage has divorced many from the imagination required to solve real-world problems. As the demand for analysis increases, the data science community must transform from tool experts to "data...
May. 25, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,555
SYS-CON Media announced today that 9 out of 10 " most read" DevOps articles are published by @DevOpsSummit Blog. Launched in October 2014, @DevOpsSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dy...
May. 25, 2015 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,976
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, de...
May. 25, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,245