|By Marketwired .||
|February 6, 2014 12:38 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 02/06/14 -- Did you know?
There are many tax implications after a death has occurred.
Important factsHere are a few things to keep in mind when dealing with someone's taxes after they have passed away.
- File a final return - A final return must always be filed after a death. The legal representative of the deceased must report all of the deceased's income from January 1 of the year of death up to and including the date of death. Report income earned after the date of death on a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return. Also be sure to note the due date for the final return.
- Consult the CRA's Chart 1 - Returns for the year of death - This chart lists all types of income, deductions, and credits and tells you what type of return each can (or must) be reported or claimed on.
- Report the deceased's income on optional returns - Claiming certain amounts more than once, splitting them between returns, or claiming them against specific kinds of income may reduce or eliminate some of the deceased's taxes.
- Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) - Sometimes, the deceased will receive a GST/HST credit payment after the date of death because the CRA was not aware of the death. In this case, you should return the payment to the tax centre that serves your area and give us the date of death so we can update our records.
- Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) and Universal child care benefit (UCCB) - If a CCTB recipient dies, the next of kin or the estate should inform us in writing. Someone else may be eligible to get benefits for the child. Send a letter to the tax centre that serves your area. If the deceased is an eligible child, your entitlement to CCTB and UCCB payments stops the month after the child's date of death. Use "End care of child" on My Account or call 1-800-387-1193 so that we can update our records.
- Deemed disposition of property - The tax treatment of capital property can be complex. Consult our website or call us at 1-800-959-8281 if you need more information.
Information for legal representatives
- Are you a legal representative? - You are a legal representative of a deceased person if you are named executor in the will, you are appointed as the administrator of the estate by a court, or you are the liquidator for an estate in Quebec.
- Clearance certificate - As a legal representative, you may want to get a clearance certificate before you distribute any property under your control. A clearance certificate certifies that all the amounts the deceased owed to the CRA have been paid, or that we have accepted security for the payment.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
There is no question that the cloud is where businesses want to host data. Until recently hypervisor virtualization was the most widely used method in cloud computing. Recently virtual containers have been gaining in popularity, and for good reason. In the debate between virtual machines and containers, the latter have been seen as the new kid on the block – and like other emerging technology have had some initial shortcomings. However, the container space has evolved drastically since coming on...
May. 22, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 762
Mobile commerce traffic is surpassing desktop, yet less than 20% of sales in the U.S. are mobile commerce sales. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Franklin, Segment Manager, Commerce, at Verizon Digital Media Services, defined mobile devices and discussed how next generation means simplification. It means taking your digital content and turning it into instantly gratifying experiences.
May. 22, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,276
Enterprises are fast realizing the importance of integrating SaaS/Cloud applications, API and on-premises data and processes, to unleash hidden value. This webinar explores how managers can use a Microservice-centric approach to aggressively tackle the unexpected new integration challenges posed by proliferation of cloud, mobile, social and big data projects. Industry analyst and SOA expert Jason Bloomberg will strip away the hype from microservices, and clearly identify their advantages and d...
May. 22, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 739
Container frameworks, such as Docker, provide a variety of benefits, including density of deployment across infrastructure, convenience for application developers to push updates with low operational hand-holding, and a fairly well-defined deployment workflow that can be orchestrated. Container frameworks also enable a DevOps approach to application development by cleanly separating concerns between operations and development teams. But running multi-container, multi-server apps with containers ...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,616
Software Development Solution category in The 2015 American Business Awards, and will ultimately be a Gold, Silver, or Bronze Stevie® Award winner in the program. More than 3,300 nominations from organizations of all sizes and in virtually every industry were submitted this year for consideration. "We are honored to be recognized as a leader in the software development industry by the Stevie Awards judges," said Steve Brodie, CEO of Electric Cloud. "We introduced ElectricFlow and our Deploy app...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,474
What do a firewall and a fortress have in common? They are no longer strong enough to protect the valuables housed inside. Like the walls of an old fortress, the cracks in the firewall are allowing the bad guys to slip in - unannounced and unnoticed. By the time these thieves get in, the damage is already done and the network is already compromised. Intellectual property is easily slipped out the back door leaving no trace of forced entry. If we want to reign in on these cybercriminals, it's hig...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,885
SYS-CON Events announced today that DragonGlass, an enterprise search platform, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. After eleven years of designing and building custom applications, OpenCrowd has launched DragonGlass, a cloud-based platform that enables the development of search-based applications. These are a new breed of applications that utilize a search index as their backbone for data...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,542
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, will discuss IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will shar...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,702
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., will share foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN st...
May. 22, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,182
In their general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Michael Piccininni, Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation, and Mike Dietze, Regional Director at Windstream Hosted Solutions, will review next generation cloud services, including the Windstream-EMC Tier Storage solutions, and discuss how to increase efficiencies, improve service delivery and enhance corporate cloud solution development. Speaker Bios Michael Piccininni is Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation. He has b...
May. 22, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 645
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
May. 22, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,238
Why does developer experience matters, what makes for a great developer experience and what is the relationship between developer experience and the broader field of user experience? Software developers are gaining more influence over the purchase decisions of technologies with which they must build on and with which they must integrate. For example, the success of Amazon Web Services, Heroku and MongoDB has been driven primarily by individual software developers choosing to use these tools, ra...
May. 22, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,602
Software Defined Storage provides many benefits for customers including agility, flexibility, faster adoption of new technology and cost effectiveness. However, for IT organizations it can be challenging and complex to build your Enterprise Grade Storage from software. In his session at Cloud Expo, Paul Turner, CMO at Cloudian, looked at the new Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) market and how it is changing the storage world. Now Software Defined Storage companies can build Enterprise grade ...
May. 22, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,303
SYS-CON Events announced today that EnterpriseDB (EDB), the leading worldwide provider of enterprise-class Postgres products and database compatibility solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EDB is the largest provider of Postgres software and services that provides enterprise-class performance and scalability and the open source freedom to divert budget from more costly traditiona...
May. 22, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,313
Fundamentally, SDN is still mostly about network plumbing. While plumbing may be useful to tinker with, what you can do with your plumbing is far more intriguing. A rigid interpretation of SDN confines it to Layers 2 and 3, and that's reasonable. But SDN opens opportunities for novel constructions in Layers 4 to 7 that solve real operational problems in data centers. "Data center," in fact, might become anachronistic - data is everywhere, constantly on the move, seemingly always overflowing. Net...
May. 22, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,613