|By Business Wire||
|February 10, 2014 09:04 AM EST||
Dell today announced expansion of its cloud client solutions to incorporate support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Dell vWorkspace, combining existing infrastructure offerings for Windows Server 2012 R2 and for vWorkspace into a single, end-to-end Hyper-V based desktop virtualization solution. Starting at under $250 per seat including datacenter infrastructure, licensing and a three year Dell ProSupport1 subscription, the new reference architecture is designed to provide organizations with integrated infrastructure options that deliver performance, agility and efficiency, while ensuring enterprise-level VDI features for one of the lowest price-per-seat solutions available today.
Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace is a highly flexible and cost-effective solution that can scale from ten to tens of thousands of seats. It is ideal for organizations wishing to leverage their datacenter investment and existing expertise in Microsoft infrastructure to provide workers secure and flexible access to data and applications, while simplifying management and improving data security, control and compliance.
The solution also supports a greater range of audio and graphics applications enabling IT departments to virtualize more applications, including unified communications on Microsoft Lync 2013 and virtualized shared graphics with AMD FireProTM S9000, S7000 and W7000 cards. The centrally hosted virtualized environment means that users experience no difference between applications running locally or virtualized. IT managers are able to optimize IT resources while providing a more effective application and system support and data security, all from a single management console.
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and Intel Ivy Bridge processors delivers user density up to 225 users per R720 server, set up either as RDSH, pooled or persistent Windows 8.1 VMs
- Support for Microsoft RemoteFX (RDP), with support for a broad range of RDP 8.0 features
- Support for affordable personal desktops with a persistent profile, taking advantage of Windows Server 2012 R2 built-in active data deduplication feature
- Unified communications support with the Microsoft Lync 2013 VDI plug-in for Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows 8 end points increases user productivity without affecting server user density
- Virtualized shared graphics using AMD FireProTM S9000, S7000 & W7000 server GPUs providing up to 85 Shared Graphics users per R720 server
- New VDI features for Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services including support for iOS, Mac OS and Android end points
- Enhancements through RemoteFX, DirectX, quick reconnect and visual application appearance
- Optional vWorkspace 8.0 MR1 desktop virtualization software for expanded client support, legacy applications and OS’s, and performance monitoring
Dell enables a low cost per VDI seat through high-user density, optimized licensing price structure, data deduplication in Windows Server 2012 R2, reduced storage space requirements by up to 93 percent2 on persistent desktops and low IOPS requirements. With vWorkspace HyperCache and HyperDeploy, IT can provision 150 Windows 8.1 Virtual Machines in only 26 minutes2, resulting in significant infrastructure savings while increasing speed of deployment.
Greatest flexibility and usability
The Wyse Datacenter offers support for end points running most operating systems, making it ideal for true BYOD. It provides a choice of application virtualization delivery mechanisms without the need for forklift conversion, as the solution works on Windows Servers 2003 to 2012 R2.
The Wyse Datacenter comprises Dell PowerEdge R720 servers, a choice of Dell EqualLogic 1G iSCSI PS4100E/PS6100E/PS6100XS storage arrays, Dell Networking S55 1G Top of Rack switch, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1/2012 R2 including Hyper-V, vWorkspace 8.0 MR1 virtualization software, Dell ProSupport Services for hardware and support for software, and highly secure Dell Wyse end points with new ThinOS 8 and qualified with RemoteFX capable models including Dell Wyse 3012-T10D, 5012-D10D (both highly secure with new ThinOS 8), D90D8, D90Q8, Z90D8, Z90Q8 and X90m7.
The optional vWorkspace component is highly recommended for increased scalability for deployments up to tens of thousands of seats. It allows customers to quickly troubleshoot VM problems with built-in diagnostics and monitoring functions (formerly Foglight for Virtual Desktops). It speeds VM deployments and reduces storage costs and comes with additional support for Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V. It also adds support for extended end-point connectors and multi-tenancy with no AD Trust Requirements. Finally, vWorkspace installs seamlessly using the same hardware configuration used for Windows Server 2012 R2.
New powerful yet affordable dual-core Dell Wyse ThinOS thin client
Dell also announced the addition of the Dell Wyse thin client desktop 3012–T10D featuring a unique combination of high performance, security, and economy in a compact thin client certified for the new Windows Server and vWorkspace infrastructure. The new thin client delivers an outstanding Citrix, Microsoft, VMware and Dell vWorkspace VDI user experience and an instant-on experience from power-on to fully functioning desktop in less than 9 seconds. Featuring completely “hands-off” out-of-box automatic setup, configuration and management, the 3012-T10D runs Dell Wyse ThinOS, the premiere virus- and malware-immune thin client OS with AES disk encryption and zero attack surface.
The new 3012-T10D is the world’s first ARM SoC thin client that is Microsoft RemoteFX certified with support for RDP 8.0 features and delivers impressive performance in an affordable offering, with features including:
- Marvell PXA2128 1.2 GHz Dual Core ARM SoC processor
- Certified for Microsoft RemoteFX (RDP), supporting a broad range of RDP 8.0 features
- Optimized Citrix HDX Receiver provides an excellent user experience including remote and work from home users. 4GB3 Flash and 2GB4 DDR3 RAM memory
- Connections including dual DVI, four USB ports, Gigabit Ethernet and optional dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 A/B/G/N with up to 300 Mbps connection speeds
- Built-in media processor to deliver smooth multimedia, bi-directional audio and Flash playback.
- Multiple management options including cloud-based management with remote imaging through the Dell Wyse Cloud Client Manager, enterprise management with the optional Dell Wyse Device Manager, and the simple and easy to use file system configurations provide robust and flexible management and configuration choices.
- Flexible mounting options enable vertical, horizontal, desk, wall or behind display positioning, and a VESA stand is included standard.
Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace and the Dell Wyse thin client desktop 3012-T10D are available today via direct and channel partners in 48 countries worldwide.
“We are excited to work with Dell on this offering for customers with Microsoft-based IT environments,” said Klaas Langhout, principal director project management, Windows Server, Microsoft. “Dell Wyse Datacenter for Microsoft VDI and vWorkspace will allow IT to use their existing skills on Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V to reduce operating and capital expenditures with RDP deployments.”
“This new release enables us to broaden our offerings and bring greater choices to organizations looking to leverage the benefits of desktop virtualization and helps us deliver a cost-effective, flexible and scalable VDI solution for organizations of all sizes,” said Steve Lalla, vice president and general manager, Dell Cloud client-computing. “The combination of Dell hardware, IP, services, support and end points create a VDI solution that enhances user experience while lightening the management burden on the IT department.”
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Dell, Wyse and Cloud Connect are trademarks of Dell Inc.
Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
 Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region. For more information, visit Dell.com/servicecontracts/global.
 Dell DVS Enterprise for Windows Server 2012 RDS - Reference Architecture, pages 62, 73; July 2013; http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/business~solutions~engineering-docs~en/documents~dvs-windows-server-2012.pdf .
 GB means 1 billion bytes and TB equals 1 trillion bytes; actual capacity varies with preloaded material and operating environment and will be less.
 GB means 1 billion bytes and TB equals 1 trillion bytes; significant system memory may be used to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.