|By Marketwired .||
|February 12, 2014 12:00 PM EST||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 02/12/14 -- WeFi, the market leader in mobile broadband connectivity solutions, today announced key findings from its Quarterly Wi-Fi Analytics Report and the launch of its new "WeFi Pulse Report" highlighting mobile data and wireless connectivity trends. Both reports cover data usage over full-size notebooks, netbooks and mobile devices using Symbian or Android operating systems. Insights are also based on information gathered from millions of users enabled with the WeFi software accessed through millions of hotspots in the United States alone.
Highlights from the WeFi Quarterly Wi-Fi Analytics Report and the WeFi Pulse Report include the following:
- Pointing to the increasing investment in cellular and wireless networks in the United States, WeFi's Quarterly Wi-Fi Analytics Report for Q4 2013 found the amount of states nationwide who offloaded at least 90 percent of their data increased 875 percent throughout the year -- from 4 states in the first quarter of 2013 to 39 states in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- The WeFi Pulse Report analyzed data from two major events in January 2014 -- use of social media apps during New Year's Eve in Los Angeles and New York, and the use of mobile apps to track the 2013-2014 NFL Football playoffs:
- The NFL Mobile App was used most during the 2013-2014 NFL Football playoffs starting January 4 through January 19, 2014.
- Despite the amount of unique Facebook users during New Year's Eve 2013, Instagram earned the crown of NYE 2013's most used social media app.
Q4 2013 Wi-Fi Analytics Report Highlights Growth in Nationwide Data Offloading
WeFi's Quarterly Wi-Fi Analytics Report includes both statistics and analysis from WeFi on a variety of issues at a national level related to the wireless Internet including cellular data offloading onto Wi-Fi networks, amount of data being uploaded and downloaded, average Wi-Fi and cellular data speeds and mobile application data usage.
Marked by the increased investment in cellular and wireless networks in the United States throughout 2013, the Wi-Fi Analytics Report found that Wi-Fi and cellular speeds were the fastest in Q4 2013.
- Wi-Fi networks were 18 percent faster in Q4 with an average speed of 5.1 mbps compared to Q1 with an average speed of 4.1 mbps (based on average of states with the top 5 fastest speeds in Q4 compared to Q1 2013). New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Washington and Pennsylvania ranked in as the top five states with the fastest Wi-Fi connections in Q4 2013.
- Cellular networks were 28 percent faster in Q4 2013 in Q4 with an average speed of 4.0 mbps compared to Q1 with an average speed of 2.9 mbps (based on average of states with the top 5 fastest speeds in Q4 compared to Q1 2013). Maine, New Hampshire, Idaho, Pennsylvania and Kansas ranked in as the top five states with the fastest cellular connections in Q4 2013.
- The report also found that ESPN, Instagram, Netflix, Spotify and Vine maintained their positions as the top five downloaded applications throughout 2013.
NFL Mobile App Takes Top Spot According to WeFi Pulse Report
The WeFi Pulse Report examined trends and key events affecting mobile data usage throughout the year. In its first installment, the report analyzed the growing base of American consumers who use their mobile devices to view NFL Football via the NFL Mobile, NFL Mobile 1.0 or NFL Sunday Ticket mobile app.
As expected, in most states, the usage of these apps decreased during the playoffs as compared to the first few weeks of the regular season unless a team from that state made it to the playoffs (e.g., California, Massachusetts). However, a few states are exceptional "football-avid" states such as South Carolina and Kentucky, which showed increased usage during the playoffs despite the lack of professional NFL teams in their state. Other insights found:
- California leads NFL mobile app usage: California, a state with three professional NFL Teams, led the nation in Wi-Fi usage for NFL Mobile and NFL Sunday Ticket. Florida, the only other state home to three professional NFL teams, is nowhere to be seen on either top 10 list.
- New downloads increase during playoffs: Although the overall usage of NFL mobile apps decreased after the regular season, the numbers of new downloads show an increase, according to androidrank.org, which may suggest that NFL mobile apps are more attractive to new users during the playoff than the regular season.
- Throughput affects app usage: During the regular season, the NFL Sunday Ticket app offered a superior experience compared to NFL Mobile based on a review of the overall throughput or data speeds consumers experienced using the application. However, when the NFL Sunday Ticket app throughput dropped during the playoffs, consumers decreased their usage of the app. This is also represented by a larger rate of new installments of the NFL Mobile app according to androidrank.org.
"These findings point to a positive trend of increased mobile data consumption and usage of Wi-Fi networks. However, usage is sporadic as mobile technology allows consumers to access information irrespective of place and time," said Zur Feldman, Chairman and CEO of WeFi. "While service providers are eager to address this demand, due to the irregular usage patterns of consumers, they are challenged with identifying exactly what resources are needed and when to deploy them. Insights from these quarterly and trend-based reports, combined with our patent-pending technology for predicting usage, enables service providers to better plan their networks and provide their subscribers with an always best connected experience."
Through its Wi-Fi network management solution and comprehensive hotspot database -- the industry's largest with nearly 200 million hotspots -- WeFi extends investment in infrastructure Wi-Fi networks and assures that wireless carriers, cable operators and streaming media content producers can deliver subscribers the best mobility experience in a data dependent world. WeFi's patented and patent-pending technology provides customers unparalleled visibility into the use of Wi-Fi connectivity, both on and off their own networks, allowing operators to better plan networks, predict usage and deliver the best network connection based on custom connection policies. For more information visit http://www.wefi.com.
PDF Attachment Available: http://media.marketwire.com/attachments/201402/71475_FEBRUARY12INFOGRAPHICWeFi.pdf
Attachment Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2517847
Bhava Communications for WeFi
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 23, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,262
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 23, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,554
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Nov. 23, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,226
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Nov. 23, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,353
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Nov. 23, 2014 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,405
We are all here because we are sold on the transformative promise of The Cloud. But what good is all of this ephemeral, on-demand infrastructure if your usage doesn't actually improve the agility and speed of your business? How must Operations adapt in order to avoid stifling your Cloud initiative? In his session at DevOps Summit, Damon Edwards, co-founder and managing partner of the DTO Solutions, will highlight the successful organizational, process, and tooling patterns of high-performing c...
Nov. 23, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 1,125
The definition of IoT is not new, in fact it’s been around for over a decade. What has changed is the public's awareness that the technology we use on a daily basis has caught up on the vision of an always on, always connected world. If you look into the details of what comprises the IoT, you’ll see that it includes everything from cloud computing, Big Data analytics, “Things,” Web communication, applications, network, storage, etc. It is essentially including everything connected online from ha...
Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,231
Software-driven innovation is becoming a primary approach to how businesses create and deliver new value to customers. A survey of 400 business and IT executives by the IBM Institute for Business Value showed businesses that are more effective at software delivery are also more profitable than their peers nearly 70 percent of the time (1). DevOps provides a way for businesses to remain competitive, applying lean and agile principles to software development to speed the delivery of software that ...
Nov. 22, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,478
Docker offers a new, lightweight approach to application portability. Applications are shipped using a common container format and managed with a high-level API. Their processes run within isolated namespaces that abstract the operating environment independently of the distribution, versions, network setup, and other details of this environment. This "containerization" has often been nicknamed "the new virtualization." But containers are more than lightweight virtual machines. Beyond their small...
Nov. 22, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,266
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,393
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and asse...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,216
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Nov. 21, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,307
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, a...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,326