|By PR Newswire||
|February 12, 2014 07:02 PM EST||
Final long weekend of activities includes cool science, hot jazz, theatre, cross-country ski races, marathon running and a graffiti jam
OTTAWA, Feb. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian Heritage is pleased to invite residents and visitors to take part in the third and final weekend of the 36th Winterlude, the Capital Region's winter celebration, which kicked off on January 31 and ends on Ontario Family Day, February 17, 2014.
Here is an overview of some of the activities taking place during the final weekend of Winterlude.
Crystal Garden in Confederation Park
Festival-goers will learn the secrets of ice carving with demonstrations on Saturday and Sunday in the Crystal Garden. Expert carvers will showcase carving techniques and how they use their tools to create a work of art from a block of ice.
Young Sculptors at Work will learn the basic techniques of ice carving with professional ice carvers. Tools, safety goggles and ice will be provided. Saturday and Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to noon (ages 8 to 12); 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. (ages 13 to 17). (Registration on site 30 minutes before start time)
Visitors to Crystal Garden will also have the opportunity to:
- marvel at an impressive sculpture made from one hundred blocks of ice to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War
- enjoy the crystalline masterpieces created at the 27th Crystal Garden International Ice-Carving Competition during the first weekend of Winterlude
- visit the public art exhibition "Winter Memories" and discover Canadian artists' interpretations of winter
- take in a beautiful work of ice art to mark the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Canada and Mexico
- explore the Arctic through a unique photo exhibit that features the work of scientists in Canada's Great North
- meet the Kettle Boys for some "olde time" fun
learn about ephemeral art and create their own sculptures, or participate in making an ice mosaic sculpture
experience Memories of Ice, an original work for the reactable, the cutting-edge digital music instrument
see the United Buddy Bears Ice Sculpture, highlighting the unity and friendship between Canada and Germany
journey through Canada's vast Arctic in the footsteps of a Norwegian explorer, documented in a stunning
warm up with Cool Moves, featuring dances and acrobatic stunts
- discover the Crystal Garden at night as it transforms into a massive snowy dance floor for the Sub-Zero DJ Nights
The Winterlude fun continues across the street at Ottawa City Hall all weekend with:
- Enbridge "Energy on Ice" skating performances, Saturday and Sunday at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on the Rink of Dreams
- a showcase of Ottawa's wintry past at the Ottawa Museum Zone
- tours of the exhibit "Little Voices" at Karsh-Masson Gallery with artists Patti Normand and Lesley Buxton
Snowflake Kingdom in Jacques-Cartier Park, Gatineau
Presented by Canadian Heritage and the Ville de Gatineau, Snowflake Kingdom is North America's biggest snow playground. It is the ideal destination for the young and the young at heart. This family-friendly paradise features giant snow slides and an outdoor amphitheatre.
On Winterlude's final weekend, visitors will have the chance to:
- hold an official torch from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games and take a seat in a bobsleigh for a unique photo opportunity
- experience downhill skiing with qualified instructors and learn important tips for the slopes from the Canadian Ski Patrol
- take shots at the sledge hockey display, snap a souvenir photo and meet former members of Canada's National Sledge Hockey Team
- meet players from the Gatineau Olympiques hockey team for an autograph session
- visit the Aboriginal Village and interactive exhibit "Winter Camp Life," featuring a display of tools for survival in the wintertime and a winter game called "snowsnake"
- join a bundles' race like a voyageur from the past in the Parks Canada Zone
- live the adventure of the Aboriginal trappers, French-Canadian coureurs des bois, and European merchants of the fur-trade era at Maison Charron
- see graffiti art at its best
- test their physical fitness in the Canadian Forces Winter Obstacle Course
- laugh and dance along with talented performers at the Snowflake Stage
- try a kicksled, and discover the outdoor activity that millions of Scandinavians love
- build a snow lantern and when the sun sets, discover the park at night
- visit the XTREME Zone, where they can try a zip line, bungee trampoline, pedal go-karts on snow, and a giant maze
The Ice Hog Family, Winterlude's famous mascots, will be on hand all weekend, including Monday, to meet their fans of all ages. Sunday at 3:30 p.m., a special celebration is planned for Noumi and Nouma's birthday.
The Rideau Canal Skateway
The Rideau Canal Skateway, the world's largest skating rink, is centre stage for many activities during Winterlude's final weekend.
Open for its 44th season, this fantastic 7.8-kilometre ice surface offers families and fun-seekers a wide variety of services, including rest areas, food concessions, skate and sleigh rentals, skate sharpening, and boot check services.
This weekend, visitors to the Skateway will have the opportunity to test their skills at the Giant Tiger Interactive Hockey Zone, move their muscles at the Goodlife Fitness Zone, or warm up with hot apple cider and play the OLG Sno-Bus Snowball Toss game at the OLG Sno-Bus Station at Fifth Avenue.
For the 36th Winterlude, more than 90 programming partners from Ottawa-Gatineau's private and public sectors have come together to offer visitors a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities aimed at bringing the Capital to life like never before.
Here is a sampling of what takes place on the third weekend of Winterlude:
- The National Arts Centre presents dib and dob and the journey home plus free activities during NAC English Theatre Family Day
- The Shenkman Arts Centre is a busy venue, with the comedy show Improtéine, a concert by Andrea Lindsay and Luc De Larochellière, theatre pieces One Noble Journey: A Box Marked Freedom and The Flying Canoe, plus a meet-and-greet with the artists of Arteast Mosaic
- The German Embassy hosts a German-Canadian Graffiti Jam
- Cool Science Saturday, a once-a-year special science fair, fascinates at the Canada Science and Technology Museum
- The biggest cross-country skiing event in Canada, the Gatineau Loppet, hits the trails in Gatineau Park
- Runners take their mark for the Winterman Marathon and Marathon Relays at the Canadian War Museum
- The third annual Winter Jazz Festival will warm up a number of downtown venues
- Concerts by Dominique Hudson and Steeve Michaud, comedy with Guy Nantel, and children's show Ari Cui Cui all take the stage at Maison de la culture de Gatineau
- GCTC's undercurrents: theatre below the mainstream festival returns
- The hands-on art activities of Creative Sundays stimulate the senses at the Ottawa Art Gallery
- At Algonquin Commons Theatre it's Canada Roars: A Canadian Musical Odyssey
Snowdaptation and Family Day at the Museum enthrall visitors to the Canadian Museum of History
The National Gallery of Canada hosts a number of inspiring activities
and exhibitions, including
Artissimo, Storytelling, Fischli & Weiss: The Way Things Go, Forty-Part Motet and Not Just Another Winter Tour
- An array of culinary experiences, such as the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association's Dine Wine Wintertime: Brunch Series at eight area hotels, the Stoney Ridge Winemakers Dinner at Santé Restaurant, Gainsbourg's Grand Gourmet Épousailles and a Winter Warm-up Family Board Games event at Hintonburg Public House
For more information about Winterlude, call 613-239-5000, 613-239-5090
(TTY), 1-800-465-1867 (toll free) or 1-866-661-3530 (toll free TTY), or
SOURCE Canadian Heritage
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,211
SOASTA, the leader in performance analytics, today reported record growth of the CloudTest community, exceeding 30,000 registered users of the CloudTest platform in Q1 2015. SOASTA also announced widespread adoption of its Web and mobile testing solutions, with more than 1,600 customers completing more than 285,000 tests using CloudTest during the quarter. This rapid growth shows that DevOps-driven digital businesses are embracing a more continuous approach to testing, and CloudTest is meeting t...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 948
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,498
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applicatio...
Apr. 18, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,195
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Compa...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,129
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communication...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,774
Chef and Canonical announced a partnership to integrate and distribute Chef with Ubuntu. Canonical is integrating the Chef automation platform with Canonical's Machine-As-A-Service (MAAS), enabling users to automate the provisioning, configuration and deployment of bare metal compute resources in the data center. Canonical is packaging Chef 12 server in upcoming distributions of its Ubuntu open source operating system and will provide commercial support for Chef within its user base.
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,701
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquir...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 867
PubNub on Wednesday released an open source template to allow developers to add Skype-like video chat into their apps. The free template provides a fully functional video chat platform using WebRTC, PubNub and Google Authentication for a global, reliable collaboration solution. “While the WebRTC protocol has created huge excitement as a way to deliver video chat ubiquitously, there’s still a gap between the protocol itself and the ability to deploy a working, globally scaled, collaboration appl...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,362
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,810
ProfitBricks has launched its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks has also introduced several libraries that enable developers to use their favorite language to code ...
Apr. 17, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,236
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 17, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,562
While DevOps most critically and famously fosters collaboration, communication, and integration through cultural change, culture is more of an output than an input. In order to actively drive cultural evolution, organizations must make substantial organizational and process changes, and adopt new technologies, to encourage a DevOps culture. Moderated by Andi Mann, panelists will discuss how to balance these three pillars of DevOps, where to focus attention (and resources), where organizations m...
Apr. 17, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,614
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business applic...
Apr. 17, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,449
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the new data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Herzeliya, Israel, Stratoscale is redefining the data center, developing a hardware-agnostic, software platform hyper-converging compute, storage and networking across the rack or data center. The self-optimizing platform automatically distributes all physical...
Apr. 17, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,538