|By Business Wire||
|February 21, 2014 12:00 AM EST||
Oral-B® will introduce its interactive electric toothbrush – the world’s first of its kind with Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity – at Mobile World Congress 2014 beginning Monday, February 24. As an essential element to the well-connected bathroom, the product will be showcased in the GSMA Connected City exhibition space, a realistic city environment showcasing cutting-edge mobile products and services for the increasingly connected life. Available for purchase in limited quantities this spring, the product is poised to set a new standard in personal oral care.
The Oral-B® interactive electric toothbrush and Oral-B® App utilize two-way communication to make for better brushing sessions: the app doesn’t just receive your brushing data, it can also program personal settings on your toothbrush. (Photo: Business Wire)
This new innovation gives you unprecedented control over your oral care, and in turn, the outcome of your dental appointments. Via Bluetooth 4.0 technology, the interactive electric toothbrush connects to the Oral-B App that provides real-time guidance while you brush, and records brushing activity as data that you can chart on your own and share with dental professionals, helping to create smarter and more personalized brushing routines.
Features & Benefits of the Oral-B App
- Utilizes Two-Way Communication: Not only does that app receive brushing data and report it back to you, but you can also program the app so that it communicates with the brush for personalized brushing.
- Delivers Expert Guidance with Focused Care: The purpose of this new technology is not to outsmart dental professionals, but to work hand-in-hand with them. Dental professionals can program patients’ brushing routines in the app to help improve their brushing behaviors and focus on problem zones within the mouth.
- Programs Personal Brush Settings: You can use your smartphone as a “remote control” to customize your brush to your needs, including setting your target session length and selecting your preferred modes.
- Stores Your Data: It is not always convenient or easy to remember to have your smartphone in the bathroom while you brush, so the Oral-B interactive electric toothbrush handle can store up to 20 brushing sessions. The data is transferred the next time the app is connected to the toothbrush, updating your records.
- Fosters Better Brushing: The app and interactive electric toothbrush help drive patient compliance, which determines a large part of the success of dental appointments.
- Helps You Stay Informed: The app helps maintain your attention and motivation while brushing with news, weather and oral care tips.
- Available for free on iOS and Android
Additionally, pre-tests of the app have shown that when connected, brushing time increases from less than 60 seconds with a manual toothbrush to two minutes and 16 seconds with an electric toothbrush, surpassing the dental professional-recommended two-minute per session.
“Oral-B has been a leading innovator in oral care for more than 60 years, and we’re proud to introduce this new interactive electric toothbrush with Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, which was developed in conjunction with leading dental experts around the globe,” said Wayne Randall, Vice President, Global Oral Care at Procter and Gamble. “It provides the highest degree of user interaction to track your oral care habits to help improve your oral health, and we believe it will have significant impact on the future of personal oral care, providing data-based solutions for oral health, and making the relationship between dental professionals and patients a more collaborative one.”
Oral-B’s participation in the GSMA Connected City marks the first time an oral care brand has debuted its mobile capabilities at Mobile World Congress, the largest and most premier exhibitor in mobile developments.
“The GSMA Connected City was created to showcase the most innovative developments in mobile technology and demonstrate how they will have a positive impact on people’s lives. So we are delighted to welcome Oral-B,” said Michael O’Hara, Chief Marketing Officer, GSMA. “The progress of connected devices and machine-to-machine communications continues to grow at an incredible pace, shaping the world around us and we hope that visitors to the City will be inspired by what they see this year.”
The Bluetooth 4.0 technology will be available in a variety of Oral-B electric toothbrushes, including the new sophisticated and elegant Oral-B SmartSeries.™
Features & Benefits of the New SmartSeries with Bluetooth Connectivity 4.0
- Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity: Links electric toothbrush to smartphone app via low-energy Bluetooth
- Oscillating-rotating-pulsating technology: Removes up to 100 percent more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush
- Six different cleaning modes: Daily Cleaning, Deep Clean, Whitening, Gum Care, Sensitive, Tongue Cleaning
- Compatible with six different brush heads: CrossAction, Precision Clean, 3D White, Sensitive, Floss Action, TriZone
- Pressure sensor: Signals and decelerates the speed when the user is brushing too hard
- Travel accessories: Protects the brush and charger during travel
The new Oral-B interactive electric toothbrush with Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity and the Oral-B App will be available in limited quantities in Germany this spring, with a global rollouts – including the SmartSeries – launching in June 2014. The new Oral-B App will be available in iOS in May, and in Android in August.
For more information on the new SmartSeries and other Oral-B electric toothbrushes with Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, visit connectedtoothbrush.com.
Oral-B is the worldwide leader in the over $5 billion brushing market. Part of the Procter & Gamble Company, the brand includes manual and electric toothbrushes for children and adults, oral irrigators and interdental products, such as dental floss. Oral-B manual toothbrushes are used by more dentists than any other brand in the U.S. and many international markets.
About Procter & Gamble
P&G serves approximately 4.8 billion people around the world with its brands. The Company has one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Ace®, Always®, AmbiPur®, Ariel®, Bounty®, Charmin®, Crest®, Dawn®, Downy®, Duracell®, Fairy®, Febreze®, Fusion®, Gain®, Gillette®, Head & Shoulders®, Iams®, Lenor®, Mach3®, Olay®, Oral-B®, Pampers®, Pantene®, Prestobarba®, SK-II®, Tide®, Vicks®, Wella®, and Whisper®. The P&G community includes operations in approximately 70 countries worldwide. Please visit http://www.pg.com for the latest news and in-depth information about P&G and its brands.