|By PR Newswire||
|February 21, 2014 09:07 AM EST||
TAMPA, Fla., Feb. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amscot Financial, a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, recently gave mini-grants to 17 non-profit service organizations in the Florida communities it serves. Mini-grants went to:
- Orlando Union Rescue Mission, Orlando. The Orlando Union Rescue Mission is one of Central Florida's oldest and largest homeless service providers. It offers food, clothing, shelter, education and other resources to help homeless families achieve self sufficiency. For more information, please visit http://www.ourm.org.
- Tiny Hands Foundation, Sarasota. The Tiny Hands Foundation helps children whose families live below the poverty line in Sarasota and Manatee counties. The foundation plans a new initiative in August called "Backpack Brigade," with a goal of filling 1,000 backpacks with school supplies for young students. For more information, please visit: www.tinyhandsfoundation.org
- Suncoast Haven of Rest Rescue Mission, St. Petersburg. The mission operates a food basket program for disadvantaged individuals and families and provides each family it helps with enough food for one week. For more information, please visit: www.havenofrest.com
- Bayonet Point Middle School, New Port Richey. The school is scheduling a trip to Kennedy Space Center for 210 eighth graders and is raising money to reduce the student cost to $25. For more information, please visit: http://bpms.pasco.k12.fl.us.
- Centurion Battalion, Winter Park. The Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) is for American youth ages 11-17 who have a desire to learn about the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Merchant Marine. Sea Cadets are authorized by the Secretary of the Navy to wear Navy uniforms appropriately marked with the Sea Cadet Corps insignia. The Centurion Battalion is located in Central Florida and cadets come from Orange, Seminole, Lake, and Volusia counties. The organization has a growing need for uniforms and other essentials. For more information, please visit: www.centurionbattalion.org.
- Merci Outreach Ministries, Inc., Brandon. Merci Outreach Ministries (MOM) is committed to improving the quality of life for individuals and families living in distressed situations. For more information, please visit: http://merci1.org.
- Dressing Angels, Wesley Chapel. Dressing Angels is a charity that provides clothes and shoes to individuals who are mentally ill or in financial need. For more information, please visit: www.dressingangels.org.
- Pediatric Cancer Foundation, Tampa. The foundation is raising money so that children with cancer will be able to participate in the Johnny Ferlita Memorial Fishing Tournament, scheduled for May 2-3 in Tampa. For more information, please visit: http://fastercure.org.
- Multi-Ethnic Youth Group Association, Miami. This non-profit offers multiple programs for youth in Dade County, including a shelter for at-risk youth aged 14 to 17 years old. For more information, please visit www.meyga.org.
- Sunrise of Pasco, Inc, Dade City. Sunrise of Pasco provides shelter that protects women and children in crisis. For more information, please visit: http://sunrisepasco.org.
- New Directions Community Outreach, Casselberry. The mission of this organization is to prevent and reduce the growing rate of homelessness in Central Florida by equipping individuals and families with the proper tools to become self-sufficient. For more information, please visit http://ndcoseminole.org
- Little Smiles, Inc. Hollywood. Little Smiles is a non-profit organization that works with children who are undergoing life-saving medical treatment. The group works side by side with local nurses, childlife staff, and medical personnel to determine the immediate needs for each child and family. For more information, please visit: www.littlesmiles.org.
- Genesis House, Inc. Melbourne. Genesis House provides transitional shelter for homeless women and their children, long-term housing for student mothers with children and shelter for homeless pregnant women. The organization is committed to providing a safe, supportive, caring environment. Education, self-discipline, self-reliance, and independence from the welfare system are promoted. For more information, please visit: www.genesishouse-shelter.org
- Dress for Success, Tampa. The mission of Dress for Success Tampa is to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and career development tools to help them thrive in work and in life. The group encourages women to embrace fitness as a lifestyle. For more information, please visit: www.dressforsuccess.org/tampabay.
- Therapy Wish, Orlando. The mission of this non-profit group is to raise funds to decrease the cost of therapy services for individuals who are developmentally disabled. Services include occupational, physical and speech-language therapy.
- Orange County Library System, Children's Division, Orlando. This summer, the Orange County Library System will host its Summer Reading program June 7 to Aug. 9. This is the largest free summer enrichment program available to Orange County students. For more information, please visit: www.ocls.info.
- Hernando Chamber Education & Training, Brooksville. The Chamber Education & Training program helps develop Hernando County's workforce through local educational initiatives, student recognition, the Hernando Youth Initiative and an annual Summit for Youth. For more information, please visit www.hernandochamber.com.
About Amscot Financial
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., Amscot Financial is a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, including check cashing, bill payment, money transfers, cash advances, prepaid cards and money orders through its wholly owned division, Amscot International Money Order Company. Amscot Financial currently operates 230 retail financial service centers throughout Florida and employs more than 1,600 employees. Amscot Financial has been recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as one of Tampa Bay's Best Places to Work for five years. For additional information, please visit the company's website at www.amscot.com.
SOURCE Amscot Financial
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Nov. 23, 2014 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,648
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's large...
Nov. 23, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,328
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 23, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,591
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Nov. 23, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,293
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Nov. 23, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,412
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Nov. 23, 2014 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,439
We are all here because we are sold on the transformative promise of The Cloud. But what good is all of this ephemeral, on-demand infrastructure if your usage doesn't actually improve the agility and speed of your business? How must Operations adapt in order to avoid stifling your Cloud initiative? In his session at DevOps Summit, Damon Edwards, co-founder and managing partner of the DTO Solutions, will highlight the successful organizational, process, and tooling patterns of high-performing c...
Nov. 23, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 1,185
The definition of IoT is not new, in fact it’s been around for over a decade. What has changed is the public's awareness that the technology we use on a daily basis has caught up on the vision of an always on, always connected world. If you look into the details of what comprises the IoT, you’ll see that it includes everything from cloud computing, Big Data analytics, “Things,” Web communication, applications, network, storage, etc. It is essentially including everything connected online from ha...
Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,313
Software-driven innovation is becoming a primary approach to how businesses create and deliver new value to customers. A survey of 400 business and IT executives by the IBM Institute for Business Value showed businesses that are more effective at software delivery are also more profitable than their peers nearly 70 percent of the time (1). DevOps provides a way for businesses to remain competitive, applying lean and agile principles to software development to speed the delivery of software that ...
Nov. 22, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,511
Docker offers a new, lightweight approach to application portability. Applications are shipped using a common container format and managed with a high-level API. Their processes run within isolated namespaces that abstract the operating environment independently of the distribution, versions, network setup, and other details of this environment. This "containerization" has often been nicknamed "the new virtualization." But containers are more than lightweight virtual machines. Beyond their small...
Nov. 22, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,301
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,426
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and asse...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,264
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Nov. 21, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,351