|By Marketwired .||
|February 23, 2014 10:00 AM EST||
BARCELONA, SPAIN -- (Marketwired) -- 02/23/14 -- (Mobile World Congress 2014) - Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today introduced new solutions that expand on its open standards-based software-defined networking (SDN) portfolio to enable carriers to accelerate service creation and build networks that deliver a customized end-user experience. Together with its Contrail technology, Juniper's solutions give service providers the ability to increase network utilization and deliver new, customized services to their customers in real-time. With these latest developments, Juniper now offers the industry's only open, secure, multi-layered, multi-domain SDN solution.
Service providers remain under significant pressure to stay profitable in the face of a data deluge driven by high-definition video streaming, mobile data, cloud computing and Internet-connected devices. At the same time, consumers now expect more customized experiences. According to a recent Bain & Company study, consumers paid an average of 28 percent more for customized goods than "off-the-shelf" products from the same manufacturer.(1) Today, however, service providers must perform complicated and cumbersome manual network changes that prevent the possibility of dynamic bandwidth, function and service provisioning.
Juniper Networks is expanding its SDN portfolio with new software and hardware to help service providers build high-IQ networks and cloud environments. These networks are secure, automated and scalable, enabling rapid service provisioning based on actionable intelligence. The new SDN solutions from Juniper -- which will help carriers address impending 5G demands -- reduce complexity, enable networks to securely and intuitively adapt to user preferences in real-time and make existing hardware more efficient and versatile. These innovations will enable service providers to:
1. Automate network operations for simplicity and agility in response to dynamic service needs, while reducing operational costs.
- Juniper today is unveiling Junos® Fusion, software that can control thousands of independent network elements -- either from Juniper or a third-party -- from a single management plane. A large network may have multiple core routers, hundreds of edge routers and tens of thousands of additional touch points for transport, aggregation and backhaul, such as microwave, mobile or optical devices. With Junos Fusion, service providers can reduce network complexity and operational costs by collapsing those underlying transport elements into a single point of control from the Juniper Networks® MX Series or PTX Series routing platforms. Junos Fusion is fully interoperable with third-party solutions and is extensible to SDN control.
- Combining Junos Fusion with the Juniper Networks Contrail controller and Junos Space network management software provides a powerful portfolio of capabilities to simplify the network and make it more responsive to changing service offerings and needs. Junos Fusion will be available Q2 2014.
2. Scale the network infrastructure with silicon and SDN to deliver the performance and efficiency needed to economically meet demand.
- Juniper is expanding its SDN portfolio with Juniper Networks NorthStar Controller, a new traffic-engineering controller leveraging open, industry-standard protocols built to optimize service providers' transport networks. Expected to be available in the second half of 2014, the NorthStar Controller will automatically identify and program the optimal path within a multi-vendor network, based on operator-defined performance and cost requirements. This will allow service providers to increase utilization, create service-oriented network paths and dynamically adjust to changing network conditions. As a result, service providers can better support dynamic mobile and cloud traffic, avoid costly over provisioning, mitigate wasted CAPEX spend and reduce planning cycles of current static networks.
- Through the integration of WANDL technology, recently acquired by Juniper Networks, NorthStar Controller is equipped with highly intelligent analytics and modeling capabilities to enhance the performance and cost-effectiveness of an operator's network infrastructure.
- Today, Juniper is also introducing its 1 TB line cards adding further scale to the PTX Series router. Available in Q2 2014, the new line cards double the PTX router's per-slot capacity to provide operators with more usable per-path bandwidth, yield greater network efficiency and reduce additional CAPEX and OPEX.
3. Create new customizable services rapidly using an intelligent and programmable network to increase revenue and brand equity.
- Creating value for service providers is predicated on knowing what users are doing on the network and being able to act on it quickly. Today, with the new Junos Video Focus, Junos Subscriber Aware, Junos Application Aware and Junos Policy Control products available on the MX Series routers, operators can use the MX in the Gi-LAN as a Service Control Gateway (SCG) to custom-tailor service experiences not only based on who is using the network, but what they are using it for. These SCG functions will be available in mid-2014.
- Together with Juniper Networks Contrail, service providers can leverage that intelligence to immediately implement Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and quickly provision new services, such as security firewalls like Firefly Perimeter and DDoS Secure, as well as adapt to changing business needs. In addition, service providers can create different service experiences and service chains for different subscribers, based on device, network or application, and charge accordingly.
- Today, Juniper also introduced the CSE2000 Carrier Services Engine, a purpose-built, NEBS-compliant server platform for the service provider environment. This provides customers with the flexibility to virtualize network functions on the router, in a carrier-grade central office (CO) or on a standard x86 server in the data center, providing the ability to optimize service location based on performance and cost requirements. The CSE2000 is available now.
To assist customers with the transition to highly customizable networks, Juniper Networks offers a full range of professional services. These include assessment, planning and migration services to support customers with roadmap development, design, deployment and integration with their existing service provider operations.
Juniper Networks will be showcasing its innovations in Hall 2, Booth #2061 at Mobile World Congress 2014. In addition, the company will be demonstrating its NorthStar and Contrail Controllers for NFV and SDN at OFC 2014, taking place March 11 - 13 in San Francisco at Booth #309, and at MPLS World Congress, taking place March 18 - 21 in Paris at Booth #102.
"At Sprint, we are committed to delivering the most innovative and high-quality network services on the market. Doing this effectively requires a network that is increasingly scalable, agile and automated. Juniper's approach to service provider networks is exciting as it focuses on the need to evolve networks so services can be brought to market at a faster pace."
-Iyad Tarazi, vice president, Network Development, Sprint
"Juniper's approach is exciting to see as NTT Communications looks to the future evolution of networks. NTT Communications views the ultimate goal of enabling network virtualization and automation as critical to the continued and rapid growth of network importance to our customers. Juniper's view on networks of the future aligns very closely with NTT Communications' vision and we look forward to providing our customers with the great experience they have come to expect from us."
-Kempei Fukuda, director, Network Services, NTT Communications
"At Telekom Malaysia we have embarked on an aggressive program to create services faster, simplify network operations through automation and scale cost-effectively to meet demand. The next quantum leap in performance and flexibility requires a new network architecture: leaner, adaptable in real-time to changing service and traffic conditions, and flexible to meet our customers' demands. Juniper offers a vision of the network we are trying to build: we are excited to see Juniper working with us to help realize this vision."
-Giorgio Migliarina, chief technology and innovation officer, Telekom Malaysia
"Expanding Juniper's SDN portfolio aimed at service providers will enable custom service creation opportunities for carriers. What is new and different is Juniper's approach to open, multi-vendor network management of NFV-based services, such as virtual firewall and VPN, which is what service providers are saying they need in order to grow revenues and satisfy consumer and enterprise requirements for flexible service offerings."
-Nav Chander, research manager, IDC
"Historically, service provider networks have expanded economies, given voices to the otherwise unheard, and brought people and communities closer together. Imagine what the next evolution of the network could deliver if it could inherently eliminate complexity for end users and operators, adapt on the fly to deliver experiences based on user preferences, and if intelligent software could be added to make existing hardware more efficient and versatile. That is what Juniper will deliver with an optimized, automated, high-IQ network that allows for real-time customization."
-Rami Rahim, executive vice president, Platform Systems Division, Juniper Networks
- To learn more about Juniper's new offerings for service providers, visit www.juniper.net/automate-scale-create
- Blog: If You Can Imagine It, Juniper Can Help Build It by Rami Rahim
- Blog: Fusing it All Together by Steve Shaw
- Blog: Play Tough, Play Smart, Go for Gold in SDN by Stephen Liu
- Video: Juniper Innovation Delivers Expanded SDN Portfolio
- Juniper Communities: www.juniper.net/social
About Juniper Networks in Routing
Juniper Networks was born from a willingness to challenge conventional thinking. Our routing solutions are the result of some of the industry's most groundbreaking innovations across every aspect of networking technology: in silicon, systems and software. They continue to be the industry benchmark for performance, scale and rapid services deployment, giving customers a competitive advantage as they set out to build the best networks on the planet.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR) delivers innovation across routing, switching and security. From the network core down to consumer devices, Juniper Networks' innovations in software, silicon and systems transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logo are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
Statements in this press release concerning Juniper Networks' prospects, future products and prospective benefits to customers are forward-looking statements that involve a number of uncertainties and risks. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, the company's failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks' most recent report on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks' general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.
(1) Bain Consumer survey, 20
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2525891
+1 408 936-6438
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Dec. 19, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 901
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 19, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 1,846
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 878
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,143
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 02:30 PM EST Reads: 873
Mobile commerce traffic is surpassing desktop, yet less than 20% of sales in the U.S. are mobile commerce sales. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Franklin, Segment Manager, Commerce, at Verizon Digital Media Services, defined mobile devices and discussed how next generation means simplification. It means taking your digital content and turning it into instantly gratifying experiences.
Dec. 18, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,040
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 916
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 18, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,118
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,248
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 1,803
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:15 AM EST Reads: 2,075
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,891
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,836
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,639