|By PR Newswire||
|February 24, 2014 05:00 AM EST||
ALISO VIEJO, Calif., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Global Genes (globalgenes.org), a leading patient advocacy organization representing the rare and genetic disease community, is once again inviting industry partners, patients, caregivers, family and friends of the tens of millions of people who suffer from rare and genetic diseases to Wear That You Care™ and support the seventh annual World Rare Disease Day on Friday, February 28, 2014.
The Wear That You Care™ campaign was launched by Global Genes in 2010 to increase awareness of the 7,000 known rare and genetic diseases affecting approximately 250 million people globally. All across the world people can show their support for the rare and genetic disease community by wearing the Blue Denim Genes Ribbon™ and their favorite pair of jeans on World Rare Disease Day.
"Numerous volunteers have been gathering at our headquarters over the past several months to make hundreds of thousands of Blue Denim Genes Ribbons™ that we have now distributed to advocates and foundations in over 25 countries for Rare Disease Day events," said Andrea Epstein, Executive Director, Global Genes. "Each year our program expands as advocates from communities across the globe help spread awareness of rare and genetic diseases as one of the largest global health challenges."
This year's World Rare Disease Day theme, "Join Together for Better Care," encourages the rare disease community to continue finding ways to work together to provide care for people living with rare diseases.
As part of the Wear That You Care ™ campaign, numerous companies are supporting the program by allowing employees to wear jeans to work on Rare Disease Day. Employees are also contributing donations towards Global Genes to support expanding the ribbon program. Many organizations and patient advocates are also organizing private, public and social media events to increase awareness for rare and genetic diseases in their local communities. Some of these events include:
- In Aliso Viejo, CA, Ambry Genetics will host a CEU approved rare disease awareness webinar for clinicians, genetic counselors and allied health professionals, where Global Genes will be participating as one of three speakers in the program
- In Orange, CA, Children's Hospital of Orange County will hold an awareness event that includes on-site informational resources for parents of children with rare diseases
- In Claremont, CA, Keck Graduate Institute will host their annual World Rare Day panel, with this year's topic entitled, "Raising Awareness of Orphan Drugs for Rare Diseases." Global Genes will also be represented on this year's panel
- In La Jolla, CA, Sanford Burnham Medical Institute will hold their 5th annual Rare Disease Day Symposium where Global Genes representatives will be providing informational resources
- In Henderson, Nevada, the 4th annual Little Miss Hannah's "Jeans for Genes Day" school awareness event will be held. Elementary school students will receive an age-appropriate education on the genetics of rare disease and show their compassion by creating personalized cards of "hope."
- In Wynnewood, PA, Penn Wynne Elementary School will hold a Wear That You Care™ event for the second year in a row. Students and faculty will be wearing blue and/or denim in support of those affected by or living with rare diseases
- In Bethesda, MD, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) will celebrate World Rare Disease Day with a day-long celebration. The event will be held in the Masur Auditorium (Building 10) from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Attendance is free and open to the public. NIH encourages all attendees to wear their favorite pair of jeans as part of the Wear That You Care™ awareness campaign
- On Facebook, advocates will be participating in a social media Wear That You Care™ awareness campaign by changing their profile and timeline pictures to "I Love Someone Who Is Rare"
- On a national level, supporters can tune in to Lifetime TV's The Balancing Act on February 28th at 7am ET/PT to see Global Genes President and Founder Nicole Boice and Blog Managing Editor, Ilana Jacqueline on Behind the Mystery: Rare and Genetic series. The show will discuss the prevalence of rare diseases and give patients and advocates ideas on what they can do to search for treatments for their conditions
- For a list of other World Rare Disease events by State, visit http://globalgenes.org/2014-world-rare-disease-day-community-events/
In Washington DC, Global Genes partner Rare Disease Legislative Advocates (RDLA) will hold numerous awareness events between February 25th – February 28th including their annual conference and lobby day that brings together hundreds of rare disease patient and parent advocates. Events include:
Tuesday, February 25th
- Legislative Conference at the National Press Club, 529 14th Street NW, Washington, DC
- 8:15 am – 9:00 am: Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 3:30 pm: General Session, lunch included
- 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm: SoapBox Meeting Schedule overview
- RDLA's 4th annual rare disease documentary screening and cocktail reception. This year's event will feature Life According to Sam, an HBO documentary about Sam Berns, a charismatic and inspirational teenager who recently died from Progeria, a rare genetic condition that accelerates the aging process. Event begins at 5:30 pm at Carnegie Institution of Science, 1530 P Street Northwest, Washington DC
Wednesday, February 26th
Rare and genetic disease advocates from all over the United States will participate in Rare Disease Lobby Day on Wednesday, Feb. 26
- 7:00 am - 8:30 am: Training Breakfast at Top of the Hill, Reserve Officers Association, One Constitution Avenue, NE, Washington DC
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm: Capitol Hill Meetings with Members of Congress & Congressional Staff
Thursday, February 27
- 8:00 am – 10:30 am: EveryLife Foundation for Rare Diseases Workshop for Patient Advocates. Topics include FDA Regulatory Law & Policy. 8:00 am – 10:30 am Embassy of Greece, 2217 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC
- Rare Disease Congressional Caucus Briefing from 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm, Capitol Visitors Center, Room: HVC – 201. http://rareadvocates.org/feb-27th-caucus-briefing/
- Global Genes Networking Reception from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm at Darlington House, 1610 20th Street NW, Washington, DC. Space is limited. RSVP required. Contact Carrie Ostrea, Global Genes Advocacy Director via email at [email protected]
About Global Genes
Global Genes is a leading rare and genetic disease patient advocacy organization. The organization mission is to 'Eliminate the Challenges of Rare Disease', by equipping patients to become successful advocates, and through education and empowerment, become 'activists' for their disease. Global Genes does this through a growing portfolio of educational tools and resources, events, building out critical connections and funding innovations in science and technology that will impact patients within their lifetime. Recognized worldwide by the Blue Denim Genes Ribbon™, Global Genes unites experts, advocates and patients of all ages to stand together in hope for treatments and cures for the estimated 7,000 rare and genetic diseases that impact approximately 30 million Americans and over 250 million people worldwide. For more information about Global Genes, please visit the following links:
- Web: http://globalgenes.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/globalgenesproject?ref=br_tf
- Twitter: @GlobalGenes - https://twitter.com/GlobalGenes
SOURCE Global Genes
WebRTC Summit has announced today that Peter Dunkley has been named summit chair of WebRTC Summit 2015 New York. The 4th International WebRTC Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in Manhattan, New York. @ThingsExpo anticipates 90% of WebRTC companies & developers will monetize their products & services through IoT by 2016. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,194
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,633
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business applic...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,724
Participants will reach the final if their IoT solution is liked. A community vote will determine the best solutions submitted in each country, after which an expert jury will select the national winners and the best international IoT solution. Each country's best solution can win a national marketing campaign worth up to €30,000 and become a partner in Deutsche Telekom's participating markets. The winning international solution can become partner of Deutsche Telekom Group across all eight coun...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,252
Recent technology advances in miniaturization has positioned the wearables as the pinnacle of technology convergence with the human body. We inquire if wearables are mere standard miniaturized devices extended with the connectivity and present our views on considerations like design, applications, performance, efficiency, interoperability, usage scenarios, human device interaction and consequent trade-offs enabling wearables to impart optimal value.
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,174
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provide...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,429
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,219
In this session we look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. We will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch dev...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the new data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Herzeliya, Israel, Stratoscale is redefining the data center, developing a hardware-agnostic, software platform hyper-converging compute, storage and networking across the rack or data center. The self-optimizing platform automatically distributes all physical...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,753
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,790
SYS-CON Events announced today that Emcien will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Emcien’s vision is to let anyone use data to know the future. Emcien has built an automated, predictive analysis product that improves the lives of real people. Emcien allows people to automate their data analysis so they can build a better future.
Apr. 26, 2015 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,729
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,552
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Apr. 26, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,468
SYS-CON Events announced today that Open Data Centers (ODC), a carrier-neutral colocation provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Open Data Centers is a carrier-neutral data center operator in New Jersey and New York City offering alternative connectivity options for carriers, service providers and enterprise customers.
Apr. 26, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,902
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Apr. 26, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,660