|By PR Newswire||
|February 26, 2014 06:14 AM EST||
OTTAWA, Ontario, Feb. 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Enterprise storage has historically been hampered by technical and architectural factors that severely limit application performance. The I/O limitations of hard disk-based arrays, and the latency imposed by PCI-Express based SSDs and architectures such as SAN and NAS, create bottlenecks for applications where speed and determinism are paramount.
The emergence of solid state flash continues to disrupt the storage market with the recent introduction of Memory Channel Storage™ (MCS™), an award-winning platform that delivers tens of terabytes of flash capacity in a single server with near-DRAM speeds. MCS technology puts NAND flash into a DIMM form factor and enables it to interface with the CPU via the integrated memory controller. The result is a new class of high-performance, in-memory storage that eliminates the OS/IO/network overhead inherent to legacy storage arrays.
Diablo Technologies™, a proven innovator in memory system interface products and creator of the MCS architecture, offers eleven reasons to leverage this ground-breaking technology to optimize application performance for database, big data, virtualization, and low latency workloads.
- Faster Data Persistence – Memory Channel Storage provides significantly lower write latency than any other flash storage technology. Creating and updating persistent data is now faster than ever before with as low as 5 microsecond write latency.
- Zero-Compromise Performance – MCS eliminates the trade-off between IOPS and latency that is inherent to other flash storage solutions. Applications can now support heavy I/O while maintaining fast response times to ensure IT managers no longer need worry about tuning for just one of these performance attributes.
- Predictable Response Times – MCS provides extremely deterministic latency. Uncertainty surrounding storage-related Quality-of-Service (QoS) can now be eliminated. As an example, IT managers deploying VDI can be assured of consistent response times for virtual machines, providing their users with a satisfying session experience.
- Efficient Scalability – The MCS architecture enables the flash storage solution to tightly fit the customer requirements. MCS I/O performance is linearly scalable and total capacity can be "right-sized" to match application needs. Current products based on Memory Channel Storage are available as 200 GB or 400 GB modules. Multiple modules can be integrated into servers or storage arrays as needed, based on the capacity and performance requirements of specific applications.
- Platform Flexibility– Most data centers employ a variety of storage solutions depending on the challenges faced. Via its combined advantages (i.e. ultra-fast persistence, supports heavy I/O without compromising response time, determinism, scalability), MCS provides a uniquely flexible platform that can address a wide variety of workloads.
- Strong Mixed-Workload Performance– Due to its distributed architecture, MCS provides strong mixed-workload performance. Not only can MCS-based modules be written to or read from in parallel, but applications also have the flexibility to write to individual modules while reading from others. Mixed workload applications, such as databases and virtualized environments, benefit greatly and are ideally suited for MCS-based solutions.
- Flexible Form Factor – By placing persistent memory on a standard DIMM module, MCS-based products will fit into any server or storage design that utilizes the standard DIMM form factor. Flash memory can easily be integrated into standard server and storage arrays with no modifications to the motherboards or chassis and without the complexity of blade servers requiring custom PCIe mezzanine cards. This makes MCS the most flexible means of deploying persistent memory for enterprise and storage applications.
- Ecosystem Support – With support for the most critical operating systems and hypervisors, MCS can be deployed quickly and easily into virtually any enterprise environment. Driver availability for Microsoft Windows™, VMware ESXi™ and the most prevalent Linux distributions and kernels means broad applicability to enterprise applications.
- Memory Expansion – MCS redefines the idea of memory expansion by placing flash on the same memory channels as system DRAM. Paging occurs at near DRAM speeds as these operations are simply transfers of data from flash to DRAM within the same memory controller. No transfers through a storage stack or movements external to the processor are required, thereby enabling extremely fast paging.
- Reduced TCO – With MCS, each node in a cluster is able to complete more work in less time. With storage attached directly to the processors rather than across I/O expansion connections and storage stacks, data is accessed, manipulated, and rewritten to the flash in significantly reduced time. Fewer nodes also means less external storage arrays filled with large amounts of hot, spinning media, and lower power and cooling costs that lead to a reduced Total Cost of Ownership.
- Future-Proof Platform – The MCS architecture is designed with the ability to utilize current NAND-flash as well as future non-volatile memories, ensuring MCS customers will benefit from the capacity and performance enhancements of technologies such as 3D flash, phase-change memory, magnetoresistive RAM, and resistive RAM.
About Diablo Technologies
Founded in 2003, Diablo is at the forefront of developing breakthrough technologies to set the standard for next-generation enterprise computing. Diablo's Memory Channel Storage solution combines innovative software and hardware architectures with Non-Volatile Memory to introduce a new and disruptive generation of Solid State Storage for data-intensive applications.
The Diablo executive leadership team has decades of experience in system architecture, chip-set design and software development at companies including Nortel Networks, Intel, Cisco, AMD, SEGA, ATI, Cadence Design Systems, Matrox Graphics, BroadTel Communications and ENQ Semiconductor.
818-884-8282, Ext. 13
SOURCE Diablo Technologies
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core...
May. 24, 2015 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,198
A new definition of Big Data & the practical applications of the defined components & associated technical architecture models This presentation introduces a new definition of Big Data, along with the practical applications of the defined components and associated technical architecture models. In his session at Big Data Expo, Tony Shan will start with looking into the concept of Big Data and tracing back the first definition by Doug Laney, and then he will dive deep into the description of 3V...
May. 24, 2015 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,806
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
May. 24, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 6,026
For years, we’ve relied too heavily on individual network functions or simplistic cloud controllers. However, they are no longer enough for today’s modern cloud data center. Businesses need a comprehensive platform architecture in order to deliver a complete networking suite for IoT environment based on OpenStack. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dhiraj Sehgal from PLUMgrid will discuss what a holistic networking solution should really entail, and how to build a complete platform that is scalable...
May. 24, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,086
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focu...
May. 24, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,956
of cloud, colocation, managed services and disaster recovery solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. TierPoint, LLC, is a leading national provider of information technology and data center services, including cloud, colocation, disaster recovery and managed IT services, with corporate headquarters in St. Louis, MO. TierPoint was formed through the strategic combination of some of t...
May. 24, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,908
Cryptography has become one of the most underappreciated, misunderstood components of technology. It’s too easy for salespeople to dismiss concerns with three letters that nobody wants to question. ‘Yes, of course, we use AES.’ But what exactly are you trusting to be the ultimate guardian of your data? Let’s face it – you probably don’t know. An organic, grass-fed Kobe steak is a far cry from a Big Mac, but they’re both beef, right? Not exactly. Crypto is the same way. The US government require...
May. 24, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,725
SYS-CON Events announced today Sematext Group, Inc., a Brooklyn-based Performance Monitoring and Log Management solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), search analytics (S...
May. 24, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,980
DevOps is a seismic change for organizations that offers great potential but comes with technical and cultural implications that can be difficult to navigate. In his session at DevOps Summit, Jeremy Steinert, DevOps Services Practice Lead at WSM International, will discuss best practices for successful DevOps deployments that create accountability, ensure secure access controls and create buy-in at all levels. He will include specific examples of successful DevOps deployments and the results a...
May. 24, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,370
Hadoop as a Service (as offered by handful of niche vendors now) is a cloud computing solution that makes medium and large-scale data processing accessible, easy, fast and inexpensive. In his session at Big Data Expo, Kumar Ramamurthy, Vice President and Chief Technologist, EIM & Big Data, at Virtusa, will discuss how this is achieved by eliminating the operational challenges of running Hadoop, so one can focus on business growth. The fragmented Hadoop distribution world and various PaaS soluti...
May. 24, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,476
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the new data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Herzeliya, Israel, Stratoscale is redefining the data center, developing a hardware-agnostic, software platform hyper-converging compute, storage and networking across the rack or data center. The self-optimizing platform automatically distributes all physical...
May. 24, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,804
In the consumer IoT, everything is new, and the IT world of bits and bytes holds sway. But industrial and commercial realms encompass operational technology (OT) that has been around for 25 or 50 years. This grittier, pre-IP, more hands-on world has much to gain from Industrial IoT (IIoT) applications and principles. But adding sensors and wireless connectivity won’t work in environments that demand unwavering reliability and performance. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ron Sege, CEO of Echelon...
May. 24, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,063
When an enterprise builds a hybrid IaaS cloud connecting its data center to one or more public clouds, security is often a major topic along with the other challenges involved. Security is closely intertwined with the networking choices made for the hybrid cloud. Traditional networking approaches for building a hybrid cloud try to kludge together the enterprise infrastructure with the public cloud. Consequently this approach requires risky, deep "surgery" including changes to firewalls, subnets...
May. 24, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,997
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
May. 24, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,701
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
May. 23, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,322