|By PR Newswire||
|March 3, 2014 09:07 AM EST||
MINNEAPOLIS, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Bisquick® is flippin' for flapjacks during National Pancake Week, March 2-8. Just about everyone on the planet loves a good pancake. Over-the-top flavor combinations and toppings seem to be the trend du jour, and with so many adventurous cooks trying new flavors, who knows what stack will sweep the nation next during Bisquick's National Pancake Week…Chocolate Sriracha Bacon Pancakes anyone?
The Unofficial, Unhistorical History of Pancakes
The pancake's cake-y goodness has been making people happy since the dawn of man. Here are a few notable moments in the pancake's journey to greatness.
- 600 BC—The first recorded mention of pancakes dates back to ancient Greece and comes from a poet who described warm pancakes in one of his writings.
- 1100 AD—Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) becomes a traditional celebration as a way to use up dairy products before Lent – the pancake breakfast is born.
- 1445—The year that villagers in Olney, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, started their famous pancake race. Each year the winner receives a smooch from the church bell ringer.
- 1870s—The flapjack becomes known as the pancake and America is changed forever.
- 1880s—Maple syrup becomes the preferred topping of choice.
- 1931—Bisquick is first introduced and cooks across America start using it to make fluffy pancakes.
- 1985—To recognize the history and continuing popularity of pancakes, Bisquick created a week-long celebration—National Pancake Week. This week-long celebration is always during the week of Shrove Tuesday and Lent.
To find out more about pancake history, visit www.bettycrocker.com/NationalPancakeWeek.
What's Your Pancake Fix?
Did you know that what you do to get your day started says a lot about you? Bisquick has got the pancake to fit your style and help turn your family's day into a happy one. Take the Bisquick pancake personality quiz to find out which stack is your shortcut to happy.
Seven Happy Twists on the Classic Pancake
Need to feed a group? Serve them pancakes! Think about it; Bisquick batter comes together in a flash and goes with nearly any filling or topping, making pancake personalization easy for everyone. Families can have fun at home trying different ideas during National Pancake Week. From lemon-poppy seed to chocolate-stuffed, you're sure to smile after taking a bite from your personalized pancake stack.
- Sunday: What a better way to start the morning than with Strawberries and Cream Pancakes? Surprise the family with these tender pancakes layered with sweet berries and smooth cream.
- Monday: From Betty's Soul Food Collection, Praline Peach Pancakes combine peach yogurt, brown sugar and pecans creating the wow in yummy pancakes with matching syrup—the kids will love these for a flavorful dinner option.
- Tuesday: Try a delicious new flavor twist to Bisquick pancakes using poppy seed, rich sour cream, lemon juice and lemon peel in Lemon-Poppy Seed Pancakes. These are a fun lunch idea for the family instead of the same old sandwich.
- Wednesday: Blogger Jessica Walker from Lil Miss Bossy shares a sweet and festive pancake recipe for your St. Patrick's Day breakfast with her Top o' the Mornin Lucky Charms® Pancakes. This fun recipe is sure the surprise the kids anytime of the day.
- Thursday: Blogger Sarah W. Caron from Sarah's Cucina Bella shares Easy Blueberry-White Chocolate Pancakes—a family favorite pancake recipe made easy and all can get involved in the fun of making them.
- Friday: Blogger Tieghan Gerard of Half Baked Harvest has created a fun dinner option to end the week—Blackberry Buttermilk Pancakes. To add to the fun, these pancakes can be topped with a quick and easy blackberry syrup.
- Saturday: Blogger Arlene Cummings of Cooking with Sugar shares a favorite recipe—Chocolate-Stuffed Pancakes. These pancakes are a Saturday morning treat in her house. The hot chocolate melting out of the center makes them irresistible and a fun surprise for the entire family.
Click here to see all of these recipes and more from Bisquick.
About General Mills
General Mills is one of the world's leading food companies, operating in more than 100 countries around the world. Its brands include Cheerios, Fiber One, Haagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Yoplait, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Wanchai Ferry, Yoki, and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., USA, General Mills had fiscal 2013 worldwide sales of US $17.8 billion. Visit www.generalmills.com.
SOURCE Betty Crocker
Since 2008 and for the first time in history, more than half of humans live in urban areas, urging cities to become “smart.” Today, cities can leverage the wide availability of smartphones combined with new technologies such as Beacons or NFC to connect their urban furniture and environment to create citizen-first services that improve transportation, way-finding and information delivery. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Laetitia Gazel-Anthoine, CEO of Connecthings, will focus on successful use c...
Mar. 1, 2015 04:00 AM EST Reads: 2,855
Sensor-enabled things are becoming more commonplace, precursors to a larger and more complex framework that most consider the ultimate promise of the IoT: things connecting, interacting, sharing, storing, and over time perhaps learning and predicting based on habits, behaviors, location, preferences, purchases and more. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tom Wesselman, Director of Communications Ecosystem Architecture at Plantronics, will examine the still nascent IoT as it is coalescing, includin...
Mar. 1, 2015 03:30 AM EST Reads: 2,385
The true value of the Internet of Things (IoT) lies not just in the data, but through the services that protect the data, perform the analysis and present findings in a usable way. With many IoT elements rooted in traditional IT components, Big Data and IoT isn’t just a play for enterprise. In fact, the IoT presents SMBs with the prospect of launching entirely new activities and exploring innovative areas. CompTIA research identifies several areas where IoT is expected to have the greatest impac...
Mar. 1, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 3,008
Wearable devices have come of age. The primary applications of wearables so far have been "the Quantified Self" or the tracking of one's fitness and health status. We propose the evolution of wearables into social and emotional communication devices. Our BE(tm) sensor uses light to visualize the skin conductance response. Our sensors are very inexpensive and can be massively distributed to audiences or groups of any size, in order to gauge reactions to performances, video, or any kind of present...
Mar. 1, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,934
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applicatio...
Feb. 28, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,363
VictorOps is making on-call suck less with the only collaborative alert management platform on the market. With easy on-call scheduling management, a real-time incident timeline that gives you contextual relevance around your alerts and powerful reporting features that make post-mortems more effective, VictorOps helps your IT/DevOps team solve problems faster.
Feb. 28, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,162
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, will discuss why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices ra...
Feb. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,384
Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, had reached 30,000 page views on his home page - http://RobertoMedrano.SYS-CON.com/ - on the SYS-CON family of online magazines, which includes Cloud Computing Journal, Internet of Things Journal, Big Data Journal, and SOA World Magazine. He is a recognized executive in the information technology fields of SOA, internet security, governance, and compliance. He has extensive experience with both start-ups and large companies, having been ...
Feb. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,118
Companies today struggle to manage the types and volume of data their customers and employees generate and use every day. With billions of requests daily, operational consistency can be elusive. In his session at Big Data Expo, Dave McCrory, CTO at Basho Technologies, will explore how a distributed systems solution, such as NoSQL, can give organizations the consistency and availability necessary to succeed with on-demand data, offering high availability at massive scale.
Feb. 28, 2015 03:45 PM EST Reads: 2,213
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, de...
Feb. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,987
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focu...
Feb. 28, 2015 03:15 PM EST Reads: 1,251
Security can create serious friction for DevOps processes. We've come up with an approach to alleviate the friction and provide security value to DevOps teams. In her session at DevOps Summit, Shannon Lietz, Senior Manager of DevSecOps at Intuit, will discuss how DevSecOps got started and how it has evolved. Shannon Lietz has over two decades of experience pursuing next generation security solutions. She is currently the DevSecOps Leader for Intuit where she is responsible for setting and driv...
Feb. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 2,167
Operational Hadoop and the Lambda Architecture for Streaming Data Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing...
Feb. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,225
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Feb. 28, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,156
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, it is now feasible to create a rich desktop and tuned mobile experience with a single codebase, without compromising performance or usability.
Feb. 28, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 1,034