|By PR Newswire||
|March 3, 2014 12:41 PM EST||
CABOT, Vt., March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- One of the major obstacles many of us face on the path to eating a healthy diet is the same we face when it comes to goals like exercising more, taking a class, volunteering, or starting a business. The modern schedule is so crammed with activities, responsibilities, and commitments that we're often unable to set aside time for even the most important things, like our health. A lifestyle filled with poor food decisions will only add more stress to busy days, which can negatively affect health even further; obviously, something an individual struggling to find the time to eat healthy cannot afford. In observance of National Nutrition Month, Cabot Creamery's Registered Dietitians have developed a list of simple meal management tips, along with a few easy to prepare and delicious recipes, to help us continue to eat better and feel great.
"One of the best parts of March for many people is the beginning of daylight savings time," says Regan Jones, Cabot Health Team Member and Registered Dietitian. "As we 'spring forward,' it begins to stay lighter longer in the evenings, which allows us to fill up our schedules with sports practices and other outdoor adventures. The downside of these longer, busier nights is that many people find themselves struggling to eat healthy. Instead of giving in to fast food runs on these longer days, Cabot's Registered Dietitians want to show you that it's possible to eat healthy even when you're busy."
To keep busy families on track, the Cabot Health Team has created a list of simple tips that are easy to incorporate in any schedule:
- Make a meal plan. Take a little time to plan out your meals for the week before heading to the grocery store. This takes the guesswork out of figuring out what to make for dinner after a busy day and makes it easy to come home and prepare a quick, healthy meal.
- Use your crockpot. Slow-cooker meals, like Cabot's Lightenup! Rotisserie Chicken Chili, are about as simple as they come. Just dump everything into the pot, set the timer and dinner will be waiting for you when you get home.
- Fill your freezer. Instead of cooking just enough to feed your family for one meal, double the recipe and freeze half. On a busy night, simply pull the leftovers out of the freezer, reheat and serve.
- Prep food on the weekends. Spending even an hour on the weekend prepping food can make a huge difference during a busy week.
Prepping foods on the weekend is one of the smartest ways to make mealtime extremely quick and easy during the week. Save time on your busiest nights by:
- Bake some chicken breasts. Slice them up and use on salads and sandwiches.
- Chop some veggies and hard-boil some eggs for quick snacks.
- Cook a batch of high-protein, Greek-Style yogurt pancakes and freeze. When you need a quick breakfast, simply defrost a few, top with your favorite nut butter and eat!
- Make a big pot of soup that's loaded with beans, lean protein, and veggies - like Cabot's Lentil-Veggie Soup with Cheddar Croutons - for easy lunches and dinners.
- Mix together some Greek yogurt, chopped fruit and nuts and freeze in ice cube trays. Pop a few out on a busy day for a quick, protein-packed snack!
"On particularly busy days, you can also extend the feeling of fullness by adding protein to your meals," says Jones. "Dairy foods like cheese and yogurt are perfect. You can stir some Greek-Style yogurt into your favorite sauce just before serving for an added protein boost, top veggies with a little shredded cheese, or bake some quick breads or muffins with Greek-Style yogurt for extra protein and calcium."
For a full day of time saving tastes, try Cabot's High Protein Crunchy Pancakes for breakfast, Southwestern Corn, Avocado, & Pepper Jack Salad for lunch, Apple-Cheddar Crisps for a power snack, and Grilled Cheesy Portabello Caps with Turkey & Sage for a savory dinner. Find even more simple, satisfying recipes at cabotcheese.coop/recipes.
HIGH PROTEIN CRUNCHY PANCAKES
Makes 4 servings
3/4 cup "complete" buttermilk pancake mix
1/2 cup (2 scoops) Cabot Whey Protein Powder
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1 cup water
1 cup Cabot 2% Strawberry Greek-Style Yogurt or Cabot 2% Vanilla Bean Greek-Style Yogurt
1. In food processor, combine pancake mix, whey protein powder and walnuts; process for 30 seconds or until walnuts are finely chopped.
2. Add water and process for 5 seconds or until blended; set aside.
3. Coat large skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto hot skillet or griddle (don't overcrowd pancakes) and cook for 1 minute or until bubbles appear. Turn over and cook until underside of pancake is golden. Serve topped with yogurt.
SOUTHWESTERN CORN, AVOCADO & PEPPER JACK SALAD
Makes 8 servings
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 ears fresh corn, husks removed and bases trimmed, or 2 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 California (Haas) avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
6 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1. Coarsely chop garlic. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mash into paste with blade of knife held sideways. Scrape into small bowl and whisk in oil, vinegar and pepper; set aside. (Alternatively, puree ingredients in blender.)
2. If using fresh corn, stand each ear up on end and cut down along cob with sharp knife, removing raw kernels in strips. Break up strips into kernels.
3. In large bowl, combine corn, avocados, cheddar, red peppers and cilantro or parsley. Pour reserved dressing on top and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Wash apple and slice into paper-thin (1/16 inch) rounds with mandoline or slicer.
3. Thinly slice cheddar with cheese slicer.
4. Place cheddar slice on apple slice; coat one side of second apple slice with flour and lay on top of cheese, flour side down. Press down on edges to seal and to encase cheese.
5. Bake on nonstick baking sheet for one hour; turn slices over and bake for approximately one hour more or until crisp. Let cool completely.
The chips can be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you have a small evergreen tree as a centerpiece, hang the apple chips on the tree as ornaments!
GRILLED CHEESEY PORTABELLO CAPS WITH TURKEY & SAGE
Makes 4 main-course servings
4 large portabello mushroom caps
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
4 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 ounces lean ground turkey
3 ounces Cabot White Oak Cheddar*, grated (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Remove stems from mushroom caps. With spoon, scrape out and discard gills. Brush tops lightly with oil and set aside.
3. In medium bowl, mix together shallots, breadcrumbs, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add turkey and knead together just until seasonings are evenly distributed. Divide turkey mixture among mushroom caps.
4. Place turkey-side-up on grill. Close lid (or cover with tent of foil) and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until turkey is cooked through to center.
5. Top with cheddar, cover again and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer.
ABOUT CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Widely known as makers of "The World's Best Cheddar," Cabot is owned by the 1200 dairy farm families of Agri-Mark, the Northeast's premier dairy cooperative, with farms located throughout New England and upstate New York. For more information on Cabot, visit: http://www.cabotcheese.coop.
Cabot Creamery Cooperative is the world's first cheese maker and dairy cooperative to achieve B Corporation Certification, a validation of its attention to environmental and social impacts on stakeholders.
Contact: Bob Schiers
1.888.214.9444 or [email protected]
SOURCE Cabot Creamery Cooperative
Artifactory binary repository management system. As one of the most widely used binary repositories and the only repository that offers a high availability clustered solution, the integration with Artifactory helps customers easily adopt CA Release Automation to optimize their entire software development lifecycle. “Artifactory is a standard maker at the continuous-integration domain and provides the user a powerful repository experience with the freedom to choose his own tools set and ecosyste...
May. 5, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 418
This talk focuses on the application of DevOps fundamentals to include network infrastructure. It draws from real deployment case studies on the extension of today's paradigms to address the challenges of the network infrastructures' ability to seamlessly and cohesively integrate into agile workflows. In this session at DevOps Summit, Arista Networks will focus on configuration management using automation with a nod to future work necessary to include telemetry and ephemeral state information....
May. 5, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,116
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around...
May. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 913
SYS-CON Events announced today that dcVAST, a leader in IT infrastructure management, support service and cloud service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. dcVAST provides cutting-edge IT services and IT infrastructure management services. dcVAST builds robust systems that are simple, secure and serviceable. dcVAST’s IT infrastructure support and IT services expertise can help companies r...
May. 5, 2015 04:02 PM EDT Reads: 570
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
May. 5, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 882
While Docker continues to be the darling of startups, enterprises and IT innovators around the world, networking continues to be a real mess. Indeed, managing the interaction between Docker containers and networks has always been fraught with complications. Without automation in networking, the vision of running Docker at scale and letting IT run the same apps unchanged on the laptop and in the data center or for any cloud cannot be realized.
May. 5, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 919
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
May. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 833
The OnPage SOAP API provides programmatic access to OnPage messaging services. Typical applications include sending messages to individual OnPage users or groups and receiving tracking information for messages such as delivery and read timestamps or reply information. The API is based on open standards known collectively as "Web Services," which includes the Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), Web Services Definition Language (WSDL), and the XML Schema Definition language (XSD).
May. 5, 2015 02:37 PM EDT Reads: 339
SYS-CON Events announced today the DevOps Foundation Certification Course, being held June ?, 2015, in conjunction with DevOps Summit and 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. This sixteen (16) hour course provides an introduction to DevOps – the cultural and professional movement that stresses communication, collaboration, integration and automation in order to improve the flow of work between software developers and IT operations professionals. Improved workflows will res...
May. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,387
Docker is becoming very popular--we are seeing every major private and public cloud vendor racing to adopt it. It promises portability and interoperability, and is quickly becoming the currency of the Cloud. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bart Copeland, CEO of ActiveState, discussed why Docker is so important to the future of the cloud, but will also take a step back and show that Docker is actually only one piece of the puzzle. Copeland will outline the bigger picture of where Docker fits a...
May. 5, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,317
A new definition of Big Data & the practical applications of the defined components & associated technical architecture models This presentation introduces a new definition of Big Data, along with the practical applications of the defined components and associated technical architecture models. In his session at Big Data Expo, Tony Shan will start with looking into the concept of Big Data and tracing back the first definition by Doug Laney, and then he will dive deep into the description of 3V...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,134
Ayla Networks, whose agile Internet of Things (IoT) platform makes it easy for manufacturers to deliver secure, connected products, today announced it has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the Internet of Things report by Gartner, Inc. “Gartner knows how important it is that manufacturers of all kinds of products have the right IoT solution to help turn their products into connected ‘things,’” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “The market for Ayla’s IoT pla...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 478
SYS-CON Events announced today that CenturyLink, Inc., a leader in the network services market, has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by technology industry analyst firms. The company is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and ...
May. 5, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,271
ScriptRock has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the "Cool Vendors in DevOps 2015" report by Gartner, Inc.* ScriptRock provides visibility into the configuration state of an organization's IT environments, enabling the continuous delivery of mission critical services. For enterprises where downtime is not an option, ScriptRock's system-wide overwatch offers the assurance that misconfigurations and anomalies are caught before they affect the business. By satisfying this fundamental ...
May. 5, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 747
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,147