|By PR Newswire||
|March 3, 2014 12:41 PM EST||
CABOT, Vt., March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- One of the major obstacles many of us face on the path to eating a healthy diet is the same we face when it comes to goals like exercising more, taking a class, volunteering, or starting a business. The modern schedule is so crammed with activities, responsibilities, and commitments that we're often unable to set aside time for even the most important things, like our health. A lifestyle filled with poor food decisions will only add more stress to busy days, which can negatively affect health even further; obviously, something an individual struggling to find the time to eat healthy cannot afford. In observance of National Nutrition Month, Cabot Creamery's Registered Dietitians have developed a list of simple meal management tips, along with a few easy to prepare and delicious recipes, to help us continue to eat better and feel great.
"One of the best parts of March for many people is the beginning of daylight savings time," says Regan Jones, Cabot Health Team Member and Registered Dietitian. "As we 'spring forward,' it begins to stay lighter longer in the evenings, which allows us to fill up our schedules with sports practices and other outdoor adventures. The downside of these longer, busier nights is that many people find themselves struggling to eat healthy. Instead of giving in to fast food runs on these longer days, Cabot's Registered Dietitians want to show you that it's possible to eat healthy even when you're busy."
To keep busy families on track, the Cabot Health Team has created a list of simple tips that are easy to incorporate in any schedule:
- Make a meal plan. Take a little time to plan out your meals for the week before heading to the grocery store. This takes the guesswork out of figuring out what to make for dinner after a busy day and makes it easy to come home and prepare a quick, healthy meal.
- Use your crockpot. Slow-cooker meals, like Cabot's Lightenup! Rotisserie Chicken Chili, are about as simple as they come. Just dump everything into the pot, set the timer and dinner will be waiting for you when you get home.
- Fill your freezer. Instead of cooking just enough to feed your family for one meal, double the recipe and freeze half. On a busy night, simply pull the leftovers out of the freezer, reheat and serve.
- Prep food on the weekends. Spending even an hour on the weekend prepping food can make a huge difference during a busy week.
Prepping foods on the weekend is one of the smartest ways to make mealtime extremely quick and easy during the week. Save time on your busiest nights by:
- Bake some chicken breasts. Slice them up and use on salads and sandwiches.
- Chop some veggies and hard-boil some eggs for quick snacks.
- Cook a batch of high-protein, Greek-Style yogurt pancakes and freeze. When you need a quick breakfast, simply defrost a few, top with your favorite nut butter and eat!
- Make a big pot of soup that's loaded with beans, lean protein, and veggies - like Cabot's Lentil-Veggie Soup with Cheddar Croutons - for easy lunches and dinners.
- Mix together some Greek yogurt, chopped fruit and nuts and freeze in ice cube trays. Pop a few out on a busy day for a quick, protein-packed snack!
"On particularly busy days, you can also extend the feeling of fullness by adding protein to your meals," says Jones. "Dairy foods like cheese and yogurt are perfect. You can stir some Greek-Style yogurt into your favorite sauce just before serving for an added protein boost, top veggies with a little shredded cheese, or bake some quick breads or muffins with Greek-Style yogurt for extra protein and calcium."
For a full day of time saving tastes, try Cabot's High Protein Crunchy Pancakes for breakfast, Southwestern Corn, Avocado, & Pepper Jack Salad for lunch, Apple-Cheddar Crisps for a power snack, and Grilled Cheesy Portabello Caps with Turkey & Sage for a savory dinner. Find even more simple, satisfying recipes at cabotcheese.coop/recipes.
HIGH PROTEIN CRUNCHY PANCAKES
Makes 4 servings
3/4 cup "complete" buttermilk pancake mix
1/2 cup (2 scoops) Cabot Whey Protein Powder
1/4 cup walnut pieces
1 cup water
1 cup Cabot 2% Strawberry Greek-Style Yogurt or Cabot 2% Vanilla Bean Greek-Style Yogurt
1. In food processor, combine pancake mix, whey protein powder and walnuts; process for 30 seconds or until walnuts are finely chopped.
2. Add water and process for 5 seconds or until blended; set aside.
3. Coat large skillet or griddle with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes.
4. Spoon 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto hot skillet or griddle (don't overcrowd pancakes) and cook for 1 minute or until bubbles appear. Turn over and cook until underside of pancake is golden. Serve topped with yogurt.
SOUTHWESTERN CORN, AVOCADO & PEPPER JACK SALAD
Makes 8 servings
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 ears fresh corn, husks removed and bases trimmed, or 2 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 California (Haas) avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
6 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1. Coarsely chop garlic. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and mash into paste with blade of knife held sideways. Scrape into small bowl and whisk in oil, vinegar and pepper; set aside. (Alternatively, puree ingredients in blender.)
2. If using fresh corn, stand each ear up on end and cut down along cob with sharp knife, removing raw kernels in strips. Break up strips into kernels.
3. In large bowl, combine corn, avocados, cheddar, red peppers and cilantro or parsley. Pour reserved dressing on top and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Wash apple and slice into paper-thin (1/16 inch) rounds with mandoline or slicer.
3. Thinly slice cheddar with cheese slicer.
4. Place cheddar slice on apple slice; coat one side of second apple slice with flour and lay on top of cheese, flour side down. Press down on edges to seal and to encase cheese.
5. Bake on nonstick baking sheet for one hour; turn slices over and bake for approximately one hour more or until crisp. Let cool completely.
The chips can be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you have a small evergreen tree as a centerpiece, hang the apple chips on the tree as ornaments!
GRILLED CHEESEY PORTABELLO CAPS WITH TURKEY & SAGE
Makes 4 main-course servings
4 large portabello mushroom caps
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
4 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 ounces lean ground turkey
3 ounces Cabot White Oak Cheddar*, grated (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Remove stems from mushroom caps. With spoon, scrape out and discard gills. Brush tops lightly with oil and set aside.
3. In medium bowl, mix together shallots, breadcrumbs, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add turkey and knead together just until seasonings are evenly distributed. Divide turkey mixture among mushroom caps.
4. Place turkey-side-up on grill. Close lid (or cover with tent of foil) and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until turkey is cooked through to center.
5. Top with cheddar, cover again and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer.
ABOUT CABOT CREAMERY COOPERATIVE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Widely known as makers of "The World's Best Cheddar," Cabot is owned by the 1200 dairy farm families of Agri-Mark, the Northeast's premier dairy cooperative, with farms located throughout New England and upstate New York. For more information on Cabot, visit: http://www.cabotcheese.coop.
Cabot Creamery Cooperative is the world's first cheese maker and dairy cooperative to achieve B Corporation Certification, a validation of its attention to environmental and social impacts on stakeholders.
Contact: Bob Schiers
1.888.214.9444 or [email protected]
SOURCE Cabot Creamery Cooperative
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables c...
Dec. 22, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 402
ScriptRock makes GuardRail, a DevOps-ready platform for configuration monitoring. Realizing we were spending way too much time digging up, cataloguing, and tracking machine configurations, we began writing our own scripts and tools to handle what is normally an enormous chore. Then we took the concept a step further, giving it a beautiful interface and making it simple enough for our bosses to understand. We named it GuardRail after its function - to allow businesses to move fast and stay sa...
Dec. 22, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,068
SYS-CON Media announced today that Sematext launched a popular blog feed on DevOps Journal with over 6,000 story reads over the weekend. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting an...
Dec. 22, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,047
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 22, 2014 11:15 AM EST Reads: 1,997
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 22, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,344
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 22, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,433
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 22, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,363
In high-production environments where release cycles are measured in hours or minutes — not days or weeks — there's little room for mistakes and no room for confusion. Everyone has to understand what's happening, in real time, and have the means to do whatever is necessary to keep applications up and running optimally. DevOps is a high-stakes world, but done well, it delivers the agility and performance to significantly impact business competitiveness.
Dec. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,040
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,053
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 21, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,420
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,027
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,443
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,020
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,179
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,820