|By PR Newswire||
|March 3, 2014 05:02 PM EST||
NEW YORK, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- New Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue: Stakeholder Perspectives: Innovation within the Biopharma Industry
What does innovation mean within the biopharma industry? How much you spend on R&D? How many products you bring to market? How many New Molecular Entities (NME) you have in research?
Within the biopharma industry, R&D output is at odds with R&D investment. Between 1950 and 2010, the number of new molecules (including both biologics and small molecules) brought to market by the biopharma industry, per billion dollars of R&D expenditure, fell by a factor of 100 in inflation adjusted terms. Innovation, it seems, is getting increasingly expensive while the prospect of blockbuster income to pay for it is getting rarer. Something has to change.
So...what are the issues we need to consider?
- New molecular entity (NME) output is not an accurate reflection of the state of innovation: new ways of measuring innovation within the biopharma industry are needed. Current methods of measuring NME output from either the FDA or EMA provide only a snapshot of what regulatory agencies deem approvable. The industry needs to move beyond NME output as a measure of innovation, taking into account provider, purchaser and user metrics including pipeline activity, clinical success, regulatory approval, patient access, satisfaction of unmet need and overall value to society;
- Collaboration is critical to success: Industry must leverage the experience, skills and insights from a diverse range of stakeholders such as physicians, patients and payers – this is critical to the future of innovation. But collaboration needs to be smart. Biopharma companies must collaborate only when the expected outcome adds value to society, contributes to better patient outcomes and supports commercial goals;
- Companies need to be brave: constantly mining a 'comfort zone' of known approaches leads to complacency and limits innovation. While many believe that all of the 'low hanging fruit' have been taken there is another perspective: that there is plenty of fruit left on the tree and companies just need the bravery and vision to look for them.
This FirstView advisory report – the first in a major new series – provides everyone interested in the dynamics of biopharma innovation with a robust understanding of the issues, opinions and insights that are shaping the current environment, and the events that could lead to a change in the future. Every aspect of the report is informed by expert insight gathered from 60-minute interviews with 16 key opinion leaders (KOLs), payers and senior industry executives from leading companies from across Europe and the US.
Experts share their insights on...
- The impact of innovation within biotechnology over the last 15-20 years- A view of what a world without biologics would have looked like
- The pros and cons of biological therapies
- Where biologics have been best received and where there is still resistance
- The role that industry played, and needs to play, within the 'innovation ecosystem'
- The important and growing roles of key stakeholder groups
- Attitudes toward innovation within industry
- New technologies and innovations that are exciting industry at the moment, and hypotheses about the future of innovation and roles in driving it forward
- This report tackles the pressing innovation issues and questions
What does biopharma innovation mean?
- Where is innovation coming from?
- How can the lessons of the last few decades be used to guide future biopharma innovation?
- What will be the future trends in biopharma innovation?
- How has biopharma innovation been measured in the past, and do new ways of measuring innovation need to be developed?
- What must biopharma companies focus on in order to remain competitive and deliver innovation that is truly valued by society?
- Which companies are currently viewed as being leaders of innovation within the pharmaceutical industry?
- What disruptive technologies and market dynamics are likely to impact the rate of innovation within the biopharma industry?
- What do KOLs, payers and industry stakeholders view as critical for biopharma companies to focus on in order to maintain shareholder returns and deliver customer value?
Whether you work in big pharma, a drug discovery company, patient advocacy group or regulatory body, this report Stakeholder Perspectives: Innovation within the Biopharma Industry provides a thought provoking assessment of how we can better cost-effectively develop and bring biopharmaceuticals to the market in a timely manner.
- Understand and evaluate the current status of innovation within the biopharma industry, including the key drivers and resistors of innovation
- Get up to speed with current thinking on how innovation is measured within the biopharma industry
- Know what potential changes need to be made in terms of how innovation will be assessed in the future
- Understand clinical, payer and industry opinions of current and future market dynamics
- Appreciate what the critical opportunities biopharma companies should be investing in and how these opportunities can be realised
Selected Quotes from the Report
'Innovation [within pharma] is a lot like a fine Swiss watch. There are multiple moving parts but if you take one part out, the watch stops. So every part in that watch is absolutely critical to the functioning of that watch in the same way that every key stakeholder group within the innovation ecosystem has a critical role. Whether it be a payer, a physician, a company, a policy maker, a scientist, etc. They all have a role to play and if they stop playing that role, the system falls over.' Former Head of Innovation, Eli Lilly.
'Collaboration is your key for survival for the future. You cannot always count on the old model of finding solutions inside your own company.' Global Head of External Innovation & Strategic Partnerships, Roche.
'If we had a shorter, faster, more efficient regulatory system, then the cost [and time taken] to complete clinical trials would go down. I think we need to re-think how it could be smarter, more efficient. At the moment, the regulatory system is set up to benefit big pharma, not smaller companies.' Scientific Advisor, Innogen Institute.
'My view is that biopharma companies need to be more receptive to new models of innovation, and that includes more collaborations, more discussions, sharing of data. I'm not a big believer of we [the biopharma industry] are better than everyone else and we know better, so I think that being open to the environment is really important.' Head of Innovation at Merck Serono.
'Do we have a secret sauce [when it comes to innovation]? I don't know. I think it's the willingness to take a little bit of risk in that space. I think understanding that as good as we have been in the past, it wasn't enough. We knew that that landscape was clearly changing and under some great leadership, we were able to move into a completely new system. Good people like to follow good leaders so that's certainly a part of it.' VP Strategy & Operations, Janssen R&D.
'My personal opinion is that the time of the very, very large pharma companies is maybe already over. They're not dynamic enough to react very quickly to changing and dynamic patient needs, so smaller conglomerates of people who throw their expertise into one bucket and do that quickly might win over large pharma companies.' Senior Manager, Boehringer Ingelheim.
Experts interviewed for this report
This report benefits from the considered insight of leading clinicians, payers and senior industry experts. These include:
KOL's with relevant clinical, regulatory, scientific and commercial experience, scientific publications, involvement in clinical trials and their record of presenting at high profile international conferences.
Payers with relevant (and recent) experience of deciding on the reimbursement of expensive biological therapies in areas such as oncology, inflammatory conditions, orphan diseases and infectious diseases.
Senior industry executives with current (or recent) experience in innovation, strategy, business development, licensing, competitive intelligence and long-term planning.
Their names have been kept confidential to provide contributors with a secure forum in which they could share their candid opinions and views.
Key Opinion Leaders
Director, Managed Care Organization
Former Pharmacy Director, Harvard Pilgrim Health
Director, Health Insurance (Germany)
Head of Medicines Management, CCG (UK)
Former Head of Innovation at Eli Lilly
Senior Manager, Boehringer Ingelheim
Head of Innovation, Merck Serono
Scientific Advisor, Innogen Institute
VP Strategy & Operations, Janssen R&D
Global Head, Innovation & Partnerships, Roche
Two senior executives from a large EU-based biotech firm
Who should read this report, and why?
FirstView's Stakeholder Perspectives: Innovation within the Biopharma Industry is a 'must read' for industry executives working in the areas of innovation strategy, business development & licensing, competitive intelligence, long-term planning, market access, R&D, partnering & alliance management, and emerging markets. Each stakeholder group will be able to use the insight delivered in the report to:
- Review aims, objectives and goals of current innovation strategy, and what (on the basis of the way the market is evolving) will be the critical success factors for future success;
- Reassess business development and licensing needs, aims and objectives to ensure that all future deals are accretive in terms of their ability to deliver innovative products to the market;
- Review external competitor strategies with a view to ensuring internal stakeholders are kept up to speed with market and competitive developments;
- Perform internal scenario analyses of various opportunities (e.g. gene therapy, regenerative medicine and technology opportunities) to see what will be needed to leverage the opportunity, and to understand what potential future business models will be needed;
- Review relationships with payers, asking the question 'are we providing the right data to payers for our innovative products'?
- Review current clinical trial strategies to improve the effectiveness of clinical trials, making them faster, smarter and cheaper, and review regulatory strategies based on increased regulatory hurdles;
- Get a better understanding of what critical attributes are needed in partners when assessing collaborations and joint ventures;
- Engage in portfolio optimisation work in emerging markets to ensure that needs of the market are being addressed by current portfolio; if not, review opportunities to in-license, partner, divest assets.
About FirstView Reports
FirstWord's FirstView Stakeholder Perspectives: Innovation within the Biopharma Industry is the first of a new series of authoritative analyses that focus on the drivers and resistors of innovation within the biopharma industry.
Innovation is the life blood of the industry, yet the cost of developing and bringing new products to market is spiralling. The series will forensically examine and answer fundamental questions such as:
- As the market moves away from blockbusters to 'niche-busters', how can industry and regulators bring new products to market that are not only safe and effective, but also affordable?
- Is the current clinical trials system still fit for purpose, or does industry and the regulators need to develop innovative, more efficient ways of establishing the clinical utility of new medicines?
- Are the advances in personalised medicine already witnessed only the tip of the iceberg, or have we seen all there is to offer in the field of stratified medicine?
- Are biosimilars set to take the market by storm and deliver on the promise of high quality, affordable biologics for all, or will the sector crumble under the weight of its own expectations?
- 'Beyond the Pill.' Do you have a strategy? Do you need one? And how influential will payers be when it comes to the impact of 'beyond the pill' solutions on biopharma revenues?
The pharmaceutical industry is on the verge of significant change. Old biopharma business models are under significant stress, and things need to change. Make sure you understand the potential strategic implications of these upcoming changes with FirstWord's FirstView Reports!
2.Research methodology, aims and objectives
3.Innovation within the biopharma industry
3.1.A review and analysis of the defining characteristics of today's biopharma industry, and how they are effecting innovation
3.2.The measurement and benchmarking of innovation within the biopharma industry, and some views on the key drivers and resistors of innovation
4.Key stakeholders in the innovation ecosystem
4.1.Who they are, and what their roles must be in order to drive innovation
4.2.Future perspectives on how each key stakeholder group must learn to work together more closely
5.Opportunities for biopharma companies, both now and in the future
5.1.A review and analysis of some of the key opportunities biopharma companies should be investing in to drive future growth, including 'beyond the pill' strategies, biosimilars, cancer immunotherapy, gene therapy, regenerative medicine, personalised medicine and networks.
6.A scenario-based analysis of potential biopharma futures
6.1An overview of scenarios, and how they can be used to analyse potential future market dynamics
6.2.The critical scenario drives of this report, and how they were devised
6.3.Four potential scenarios, with a robust review of each scenario in terms of its potential implications to the key stakeholders within the innovation ecosystem
6.4.Expert views and insight on the scenarios, and what it could mean for biopharma companies.
To order this report: Stakeholder Perspectives: Innovation within the Biopharma Industry
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,118
Are your applications getting in the way of your business strategy? It’s time to rethink your IT approach. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Madhukar Kumar, Vice President, Product Management at Liaison Technologies, will discuss a new data-centric approach to IT that allows your data, not applications, to inform business strategy. By moving away from an application-centric IT model where data integration and analysis are subservient to the constraints of applications, your organization will b...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,476
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make sm...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,383
What’s inside the cloud? Hard work. Cloud operators know the world inside the datacenter is gritty. Vendor marketing speak and cloudwashing quickly melt in the heat of SLAs, uptime guarantees, and users who want it now. In his session at DevOps Summit, Hernan Alvarez, Chief Product Officer at Blue Box Group, will deliver an unvarnished look inside the world of cloud operators, from the perspective of someone who lives it. Attendees get a front-row look into the toolkits and processes that enabl...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,484
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,964
WSM International has launched a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of the organization. According to a recent press release from Gartner, "By 2016, DevOps will evolve from a niche strategy employed by large cloud ...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,125
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional S...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,701
SYS-CON Events announced today that QTS Realty Trust, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing providers of data center facilities and cloud services and a leader in security and compliance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading national provider of data center solutions and fully managed services, and a leader in security and compliance...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,165
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,164
Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), and search analytics (SSA). We also provide Search and Big Data consulting services and offer 24/7 production support for Solr and Elasticsearch.
Mar. 28, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,432
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, will explain the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is r...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,920
Modern Systems announced completion of a successful project with its new Rapid Program Modernization (eavRPMa"c) software. The eavRPMa"c technology architecturally transforms legacy applications, enabling faster feature development and reducing time-to-market for critical software updates. Working with Modern Systems, the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) leveraged eavRPMa"c to transform its Student Information System from Software AG's Natural syntax to a modern application lev...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 829
Cloud is not a commodity. And no matter what you call it, computing doesn’t come out of the sky. It comes from physical hardware inside brick and mortar facilities connected by hundreds of miles of networking cable. And no two clouds are built the same way. SoftLayer gives you the highest performing cloud infrastructure available. One platform that takes data centers around the world that are full of the widest range of cloud computing options, and then integrates and automates everything. J...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,567
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,426
SYS-CON Events announced today Sematext Group, Inc., a Brooklyn-based Performance Monitoring and Log Management solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), search analytics (S...
Mar. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,334