|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2014 08:15 AM EST||
HOUSTON, March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans require an average of three-and-a-half days to adjust to daylight saving time, according to a new survey commissioned by Mattress Firm, Inc., yet less than half prepare for the lost hour of sleep.
The survey also revealed that 82 percent of Americans feel tired, groggy and irritable, as they adjust to the time change, and while more than half of adults indicate they need eight or more hours of sleep per night to feel well rested, only one-third of those polled receive the recommended seven and a half hours of sleep each evening.
"Americans do not sleep enough to adequately fuel their power-packed days," said Terry Cralle, registered nurse and certified clinical sleep educator. "We are all aware of the benefits of a good night's sleep, yet at the end of the day (literally), we aren't following proven sleep tips and making the necessary adjustments to improve our overall sleep health."
The survey also noted that stress levels and a good mattress were the top-two responses regarding what contributes to a good night's sleep. Yet, the survey also revealed that one in five adults sleep on a mattress that is nine years or older, which is past the healthy mattress lifespan of eight years, according to Cralle.
"People don't realize that an 8-year-old mattress can accumulate seven pounds of dead skin and 200 gallons of sweat in its lifetime," said Steve Stagner, president and CEO of Mattress Firm. "This can cause the mattresses' infrastructure to break down, compromising its ability to support your body, which results in excessive and unnecessary tossing and turning."
Cralle recommends proactively preparing for daylight saving time on March 9, by making long-term lifestyle modifications that will help with the adjustment to that lost hour of sleep. She offers the following eight tips to help adjust to daylight saving time:
- Replace Every 8—To ensure a good night's sleep, replace your mattress every eight years. Your mattress can nearly double in weight over that time, which can contribute to stiffness and numbness when you wake up, as well aggravate allergies and asthma. If you aren't sure how old your mattress is, check the tag.
- Medit8—If you sleep poorly due to stress, a few minutes of quiet time via meditation and other mind-relaxing tactics are a great way to begin your bedtime routine. Meditate while visualizing a calm environment and turn on soft music, which can lower your blood pressure and relax your mind and body.
- Activ8 your Heart R8—A recent study by the National Sleep Foundation found that people who exercise get a better night's sleep. Plus, exercise can lift your mood, increase productivity and improve your overall physical health. Find an activity that you enjoy and make a habit of doing it regularly. It could be yoga, jogging, Zumba or hiking – it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you keep moving!
- Elimin8—Replace foods full of complex carbohydrates, sugar and other toxins with healthy fruits, veggies, proteins and grains. Healthy foods help us in sleeping longer, so skip the mid-afternoon sugar rush and reach for an apple instead.
- Decaffein8—Sleep and caffeine have a complicated relationship. The more tired you are; the more caffeine you tend to consume, but all that java makes it harder for you to fall asleep at night. Implement a mid-afternoon cutoff time for any caffeinated food or drinks and try to consume your most caffeinated beverage first thing in the morning.
- Deactiv8—Today our world runs on electronics, including mobile phones, iPads and HD TVs. Research proves that viewing electronics before bed wreaks havoc on your sleep patterns, actually stimulating the mind, rather than relaxing it. Pre-sleep alternatives are reading, writing in a journal or meditating. Also, try a good old fashioned alarm clock rather than your smart phone to avoid the temptation to power up before bed.
- Rejuvin8—Napping has several benefits including increased alertness, enhanced productivity and reduced mistakes and accidents. If you can fit one into your schedule, a 20 or 30-minute nap in a restful sleep environment can rejuvenate your day. However, it is important to nap smart so it does not disrupt to sleep you get at night.
- Regul8—To continually get a good night's sleep, dedicate yourself to a healthy sleep routine. By regulating the number of hours you sleep each night with a consistent bedtime and wake time, you will reinforce your body's sleep-wake cycle and have more energy when your alarm rings. Aim for seven and a half hours of sleep a night, make an effort to go to bed at the same time each night and establish a routine that lets your body know when it's time to wind down.
About Mattress Firm
Houston-based Mattress Firm is a high growth specialty retailer, recognized as the nation's leading bedding specialty retailer, offering a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and related products from leading manufacturers. With more than 1,300 company-operated and franchised stores across 33 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers. Mattress Firm offers customers comfortable store environments, guarantees on price, comfort and service, and highly-trained sales professionals. More information is available at mattressfirm.com.
SOURCE Mattress Firm
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
May. 4, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 618
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
May. 4, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 520
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
May. 4, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,323
Application metrics, logs, and business KPIs are a goldmine. It’s easy to get started with the ELK stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana) – you can see lots of people coming up with impressive dashboards, in less than a day, with no previous experience. Going from proof-of-concept to production tends to be a bit more difficult, unfortunately, and it tends to gobble up our attention, time, and money. In his session at DevOps Summit, Otis Gospodnetić, co-author of Lucene in Action and founder...
May. 4, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,103
While Docker continues to be the darling of startups, enterprises and IT innovators around the world, networking continues to be a real mess. Indeed, managing the interaction between Docker containers and networks has always been fraught with complications. Without automation in networking, the vision of running Docker at scale and letting IT run the same apps unchanged on the laptop and in the data center or for any cloud cannot be realized.
May. 4, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 634
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 4, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,398
“We are a managed services company. We have taken the key aspects of the cloud and the purposed data center and merged the two together and launched the Purposed Cloud about 18–24 months ago," explained Chetan Patwardhan, CEO of Stratogent, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 4, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,923
SYS-CON Events announced today that CenturyLink, Inc., a leader in the network services market, has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services market by technology industry analyst firms. The company is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and ...
May. 4, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,143
Database apps on mobile devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, a Developer Advocate for IBM Cloudant, will discuss how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again), whenever an Internet connection is available. He will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with mobile devices in order to build offline-enabled mobile apps that can provide a better,...
May. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 980
In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist of Cloud Services at VMware, will review the changes that the cloud computing industry has gone through over the last five years and share insights into what the next five will bring. He will chronicle the challenges enterprise companies are facing as they move to the public cloud. He will delve into the “Hybrid Cloud” space and explain why every CIO should consider ‘hybrid cloud’ as part of their future strategy to a...
May. 4, 2015 03:46 PM EDT Reads: 629
"Blue Box has been around for 10-11 years, and last year we launched Blue Box Cloud. We like the term 'Private Cloud as a Service' because we think that embodies what we are launching as a product - it's a managed hosted private cloud," explained Giles Frith, Vice President of Customer Operations at Blue Box, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 4, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,634
Puppet Labs on Wednesday released the DevOps Salary Report, based on salary data gathered from Puppet Labs' industry-recognized State of DevOps Report. The data confirms that market demand for DevOps skills is growing, and that DevOps engineers are among the highest paid IT practitioners today. That's because IT organizations today are grappling with how to be more agile and responsive to the business, while maintaining the stability of their infrastructure. DevOps practices, such as continuous ...
May. 4, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,212
"SOASTA built the concept of cloud testing in 2008. It's grown from rather meager beginnings to where now we are provisioning hundreds of thousands of servers on a daily basis on behalf of customers around the world to test their applications," explained Tom Lounibos, CEO of SOASTA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 4, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,461
Docker is becoming very popular--we are seeing every major private and public cloud vendor racing to adopt it. It promises portability and interoperability, and is quickly becoming the currency of the Cloud. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bart Copeland, CEO of ActiveState, discussed why Docker is so important to the future of the cloud, but will also take a step back and show that Docker is actually only one piece of the puzzle. Copeland will outline the bigger picture of where Docker fits a...
May. 4, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,239
In a world of ever-accelerating business cycles and fast-changing client expectations, the cloud increasingly serves as a growth engine and a path to new business models. Dynamic clouds enable businesses to continuously reinvent themselves, adapting their business processes, their service and software delivery and their operations to achieve speed-to-market and quick response to customer feedback. As the cloud evolves, the industry has multiple competing cloud technologies, offering on-premises ...
May. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,049