|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2014 08:15 AM EST||
HOUSTON, March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans require an average of three-and-a-half days to adjust to daylight saving time, according to a new survey commissioned by Mattress Firm, Inc., yet less than half prepare for the lost hour of sleep.
The survey also revealed that 82 percent of Americans feel tired, groggy and irritable, as they adjust to the time change, and while more than half of adults indicate they need eight or more hours of sleep per night to feel well rested, only one-third of those polled receive the recommended seven and a half hours of sleep each evening.
"Americans do not sleep enough to adequately fuel their power-packed days," said Terry Cralle, registered nurse and certified clinical sleep educator. "We are all aware of the benefits of a good night's sleep, yet at the end of the day (literally), we aren't following proven sleep tips and making the necessary adjustments to improve our overall sleep health."
The survey also noted that stress levels and a good mattress were the top-two responses regarding what contributes to a good night's sleep. Yet, the survey also revealed that one in five adults sleep on a mattress that is nine years or older, which is past the healthy mattress lifespan of eight years, according to Cralle.
"People don't realize that an 8-year-old mattress can accumulate seven pounds of dead skin and 200 gallons of sweat in its lifetime," said Steve Stagner, president and CEO of Mattress Firm. "This can cause the mattresses' infrastructure to break down, compromising its ability to support your body, which results in excessive and unnecessary tossing and turning."
Cralle recommends proactively preparing for daylight saving time on March 9, by making long-term lifestyle modifications that will help with the adjustment to that lost hour of sleep. She offers the following eight tips to help adjust to daylight saving time:
- Replace Every 8—To ensure a good night's sleep, replace your mattress every eight years. Your mattress can nearly double in weight over that time, which can contribute to stiffness and numbness when you wake up, as well aggravate allergies and asthma. If you aren't sure how old your mattress is, check the tag.
- Medit8—If you sleep poorly due to stress, a few minutes of quiet time via meditation and other mind-relaxing tactics are a great way to begin your bedtime routine. Meditate while visualizing a calm environment and turn on soft music, which can lower your blood pressure and relax your mind and body.
- Activ8 your Heart R8—A recent study by the National Sleep Foundation found that people who exercise get a better night's sleep. Plus, exercise can lift your mood, increase productivity and improve your overall physical health. Find an activity that you enjoy and make a habit of doing it regularly. It could be yoga, jogging, Zumba or hiking – it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you keep moving!
- Elimin8—Replace foods full of complex carbohydrates, sugar and other toxins with healthy fruits, veggies, proteins and grains. Healthy foods help us in sleeping longer, so skip the mid-afternoon sugar rush and reach for an apple instead.
- Decaffein8—Sleep and caffeine have a complicated relationship. The more tired you are; the more caffeine you tend to consume, but all that java makes it harder for you to fall asleep at night. Implement a mid-afternoon cutoff time for any caffeinated food or drinks and try to consume your most caffeinated beverage first thing in the morning.
- Deactiv8—Today our world runs on electronics, including mobile phones, iPads and HD TVs. Research proves that viewing electronics before bed wreaks havoc on your sleep patterns, actually stimulating the mind, rather than relaxing it. Pre-sleep alternatives are reading, writing in a journal or meditating. Also, try a good old fashioned alarm clock rather than your smart phone to avoid the temptation to power up before bed.
- Rejuvin8—Napping has several benefits including increased alertness, enhanced productivity and reduced mistakes and accidents. If you can fit one into your schedule, a 20 or 30-minute nap in a restful sleep environment can rejuvenate your day. However, it is important to nap smart so it does not disrupt to sleep you get at night.
- Regul8—To continually get a good night's sleep, dedicate yourself to a healthy sleep routine. By regulating the number of hours you sleep each night with a consistent bedtime and wake time, you will reinforce your body's sleep-wake cycle and have more energy when your alarm rings. Aim for seven and a half hours of sleep a night, make an effort to go to bed at the same time each night and establish a routine that lets your body know when it's time to wind down.
About Mattress Firm
Houston-based Mattress Firm is a high growth specialty retailer, recognized as the nation's leading bedding specialty retailer, offering a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and related products from leading manufacturers. With more than 1,300 company-operated and franchised stores across 33 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers. Mattress Firm offers customers comfortable store environments, guarantees on price, comfort and service, and highly-trained sales professionals. More information is available at mattressfirm.com.
SOURCE Mattress Firm
As enterprises engage with Big Data technologies to develop applications needed to meet operational demands, new computation fabrics are continually being introduced. To leverage these new innovations, organizations are sacrificing market opportunities to gain expertise in learning new systems. In his session at Big Data Expo, Supreet Oberoi, Vice President of Field Engineering at Concurrent, Inc., discussed how to leverage existing infrastructure and investments and future-proof them against e...
May. 29, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,169
The consumption economy is here and so are cloud applications and solutions that offer more than subscription and flat fee models and at the same time are available on a pure consumption model, which not only reduces IT spend but also lowers infrastructure costs, and offers ease of use and availability. In their session at 15th Cloud Expo, Ermanno Bonifazi, CEO & Founder of Solgenia, and Ian Khan, Global Strategic Positioning & Brand Manager at Solgenia, discussed this shifting dynamic with an ...
May. 29, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,246
Due of the rise of Hadoop, many enterprises are now deploying their first small clusters of 10 to 20 servers. At this small scale, the complexity of operating the cluster looks and feels like general data center servers. It is not until the clusters scale, as they inevitably do, when the pain caused by the exponential complexity becomes apparent. We've seen this problem occur time and time again. In his session at Big Data Expo, Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackI...
May. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,557
Once the decision has been made to move part or all of a workload to the cloud, a methodology for selecting that workload needs to be established. How do you move to the cloud? What does the discovery, assessment and planning look like? What workloads make sense? Which cloud model makes sense for each workload? What are the considerations for how to select the right cloud model? And how does that fit in with the overall IT transformation?
May. 29, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,293
You use an agile process; your goal is to make your organization more agile. But what about your data infrastructure? The truth is, today's databases are anything but agile - they are effectively static repositories that are cumbersome to work with, difficult to change, and cannot keep pace with application demands. Performance suffers as a result, and it takes far longer than it should to deliver new features and capabilities needed to make your organization competitive. As your application an...
May. 29, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,494
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises a...
May. 28, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,235
The recent trends like cloud computing, social, mobile and Internet of Things are forcing enterprises to modernize in order to compete in the competitive globalized markets. However, enterprises are approaching newer technologies with a more silo-ed way, gaining only sub optimal benefits. The Modern Enterprise model is presented as a newer way to think of enterprise IT, which takes a more holistic approach to embracing modern technologies.
May. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,039
SYS-CON Events announced today that SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SUSE provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help ...
May. 28, 2015 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 594
Move from reactive to proactive cloud management in a heterogeneous cloud infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Manoj Khabe, Innovative Solution-Focused Transformation Leader at Vicom Computer Services, Inc., will show how to replace a help desk-centric approach with an ITIL-based service model and service-centric CMDB that’s tightly integrated with an event and incident management platform. Learn how to expand the scope of operations management to service management. He will al...
May. 28, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,447
The true value of the Internet of Things (IoT) lies not just in the data, but through the services that protect the data, perform the analysis and present findings in a usable way. With many IoT elements rooted in traditional IT components, Big Data and IoT isn’t just a play for enterprise. In fact, the IoT presents SMBs with the prospect of launching entirely new activities and exploring innovative areas. CompTIA research identifies several areas where IoT is expected to have the greatest impac...
May. 28, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,955
There's no doubt that the Internet of Things is driving the next wave of innovation. Google has spent billions over the past few months vacuuming up companies that specialize in smart appliances and machine learning. Already, Philips light bulbs, Audi automobiles, and Samsung washers and dryers can communicate with and be controlled from mobile devices. To take advantage of the opportunities the Internet of Things brings to your business, you'll want to start preparing now.
May. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,815
In a world of ever-accelerating business cycles and fast-changing client expectations, the cloud increasingly serves as a growth engine and a path to new business models. Dynamic clouds enable businesses to continuously reinvent themselves, adapting their business processes, their service and software delivery and their operations to achieve speed-to-market and quick response to customer feedback. As the cloud evolves, the industry has multiple competing cloud technologies, offering on-premises ...
May. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,010
As the world moves from DevOps to NoOps, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. However, applications have been architected with a much tighter coupling than it needs to be which makes deployment in different environments and migration between them harder. The microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, Netflix and so on is at the heart of CloudFoundry – a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS...
May. 28, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,658
T-Mobile has been transforming the wireless industry with its “Uncarrier” initiatives. Today as T-Mobile’s IT organization works to transform itself in a like manner, technical foundations built over the last couple of years are now key to their drive for more Agile delivery practices. In his session at DevOps Summit, Martin Krienke, Sr Development Manager at T-Mobile, will discuss where they started their Continuous Delivery journey, where they are today, and where they are going in an effort ...
May. 28, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,423
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
May. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,195