|By PR Newswire||
|March 4, 2014 08:15 AM EST||
HOUSTON, March 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Americans require an average of three-and-a-half days to adjust to daylight saving time, according to a new survey commissioned by Mattress Firm, Inc., yet less than half prepare for the lost hour of sleep.
The survey also revealed that 82 percent of Americans feel tired, groggy and irritable, as they adjust to the time change, and while more than half of adults indicate they need eight or more hours of sleep per night to feel well rested, only one-third of those polled receive the recommended seven and a half hours of sleep each evening.
"Americans do not sleep enough to adequately fuel their power-packed days," said Terry Cralle, registered nurse and certified clinical sleep educator. "We are all aware of the benefits of a good night's sleep, yet at the end of the day (literally), we aren't following proven sleep tips and making the necessary adjustments to improve our overall sleep health."
The survey also noted that stress levels and a good mattress were the top-two responses regarding what contributes to a good night's sleep. Yet, the survey also revealed that one in five adults sleep on a mattress that is nine years or older, which is past the healthy mattress lifespan of eight years, according to Cralle.
"People don't realize that an 8-year-old mattress can accumulate seven pounds of dead skin and 200 gallons of sweat in its lifetime," said Steve Stagner, president and CEO of Mattress Firm. "This can cause the mattresses' infrastructure to break down, compromising its ability to support your body, which results in excessive and unnecessary tossing and turning."
Cralle recommends proactively preparing for daylight saving time on March 9, by making long-term lifestyle modifications that will help with the adjustment to that lost hour of sleep. She offers the following eight tips to help adjust to daylight saving time:
- Replace Every 8—To ensure a good night's sleep, replace your mattress every eight years. Your mattress can nearly double in weight over that time, which can contribute to stiffness and numbness when you wake up, as well aggravate allergies and asthma. If you aren't sure how old your mattress is, check the tag.
- Medit8—If you sleep poorly due to stress, a few minutes of quiet time via meditation and other mind-relaxing tactics are a great way to begin your bedtime routine. Meditate while visualizing a calm environment and turn on soft music, which can lower your blood pressure and relax your mind and body.
- Activ8 your Heart R8—A recent study by the National Sleep Foundation found that people who exercise get a better night's sleep. Plus, exercise can lift your mood, increase productivity and improve your overall physical health. Find an activity that you enjoy and make a habit of doing it regularly. It could be yoga, jogging, Zumba or hiking – it doesn't matter what it is, as long as you keep moving!
- Elimin8—Replace foods full of complex carbohydrates, sugar and other toxins with healthy fruits, veggies, proteins and grains. Healthy foods help us in sleeping longer, so skip the mid-afternoon sugar rush and reach for an apple instead.
- Decaffein8—Sleep and caffeine have a complicated relationship. The more tired you are; the more caffeine you tend to consume, but all that java makes it harder for you to fall asleep at night. Implement a mid-afternoon cutoff time for any caffeinated food or drinks and try to consume your most caffeinated beverage first thing in the morning.
- Deactiv8—Today our world runs on electronics, including mobile phones, iPads and HD TVs. Research proves that viewing electronics before bed wreaks havoc on your sleep patterns, actually stimulating the mind, rather than relaxing it. Pre-sleep alternatives are reading, writing in a journal or meditating. Also, try a good old fashioned alarm clock rather than your smart phone to avoid the temptation to power up before bed.
- Rejuvin8—Napping has several benefits including increased alertness, enhanced productivity and reduced mistakes and accidents. If you can fit one into your schedule, a 20 or 30-minute nap in a restful sleep environment can rejuvenate your day. However, it is important to nap smart so it does not disrupt to sleep you get at night.
- Regul8—To continually get a good night's sleep, dedicate yourself to a healthy sleep routine. By regulating the number of hours you sleep each night with a consistent bedtime and wake time, you will reinforce your body's sleep-wake cycle and have more energy when your alarm rings. Aim for seven and a half hours of sleep a night, make an effort to go to bed at the same time each night and establish a routine that lets your body know when it's time to wind down.
About Mattress Firm
Houston-based Mattress Firm is a high growth specialty retailer, recognized as the nation's leading bedding specialty retailer, offering a broad selection of both traditional and specialty mattresses, bedding accessories and related products from leading manufacturers. With more than 1,300 company-operated and franchised stores across 33 states, Mattress Firm has the largest geographic footprint in the United States among multi-brand mattress specialty retailers. Mattress Firm offers customers comfortable store environments, guarantees on price, comfort and service, and highly-trained sales professionals. More information is available at mattressfirm.com.
SOURCE Mattress Firm
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by minin...
Jan. 29, 2015 02:15 AM EST Reads: 3,739
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your o...
Jan. 29, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,971
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using ...
Jan. 29, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,929
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial C...
Jan. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,830
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff happe...
Jan. 29, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 2,967
"SOASTA built the concept of cloud testing in 2008. It's grown from rather meager beginnings to where now we are provisioning hundreds of thousands of servers on a daily basis on behalf of customers around the world to test their applications," explained Tom Lounibos, CEO of SOASTA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 29, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,527
"ElasticBox is an enterprise company that makes it very easy for developers and IT ops to collaborate to develop, build and deploy applications on any cloud - private, public or hybrid," stated Monish Sharma, VP of Customer Success at ElasticBox, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,573
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. ...
Jan. 28, 2015 07:30 PM EST Reads: 3,248
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what th...
Jan. 28, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 4,043
The Internet of Things (IoT) is rapidly in the process of breaking from its heretofore relatively obscure enterprise applications (such as plant floor control and supply chain management) and going mainstream into the consumer space. More and more creative folks are interconnecting everyday products such as household items, mobile devices, appliances and cars, and unleashing new and imaginative scenarios. We are seeing a lot of excitement around applications in home automation, personal fitness,...
Jan. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,963
Dale Kim is the Director of Industry Solutions at MapR. His background includes a variety of technical and management roles at information technology companies. While his experience includes work with relational databases, much of his career pertains to non-relational data in the areas of search, content management, and NoSQL, and includes senior roles in technical marketing, sales engineering, and support engineering. Dale holds an MBA from Santa Clara University, and a BA in Computer Science f...
Jan. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 3,213
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 28, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 2,141
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
Jan. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 2,721
OneCloud Software has launched the OneCloud Partner Program. Responding to demand from prospective partners, the Program offers managed service providers (MSPs) and resellers the resources they need to grow their business with the OneCloud Recovery solution. OneCloud Recovery is an automated solution for disaster recovery/business continuity (DR/BC), which leverages Amazon Web Services as the disaster recovery site. “This is a tremendous opportunity with an innovative hybrid cloud-based DR pro...
Jan. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 894
Cloud Technology Partners on Wednesday announced it has been recognized by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards as one of the Best Amazon Web Services (AWS) Consulting Partners. Selected by the editors of TechTarget's SearchDataCenter.com, and by votes from customers and strategic channel partners, the companies acknowledged by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards represent the top providers of cloud consulting services for AWS including application migration, application development, inf...
Jan. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,442