|By PR Newswire||
|March 5, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
CHICAGO, March 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Pizza consumption is high in the U.K., with 64 per cent of consumers reporting they order pizza at least once a month, according to Technomic's Status & Outlook of the U.K. Pizza Category and Its Customers study. However, data suggests that operators have an opportunity to drive incremental sales and traffic by adding healthier options, innovative toppings and speciality pies to their menus.
[View larger INFOGRAPHIC: Spotlight on U.K. Pizza]
"The 'better' trend that is poised to impact the burger and sandwich segments will expand into the pizza category and make way for made-to-order pizza concepts," says Darren Tristano, Sr. Managing Director at Technomic. "Pizza is popular in both pizzerias and non-pizza restaurants, making it vital for suppliers and operators to stay on top of evolving consumer preferences. Operators looking to differentiate and appeal to consumers' health and wellness concerns can do so by offering made-to-order pizza with more high quality, gourmet ingredients."
Technomic, in co-operation with the Pizza, Pasta and Italian Food Association, released the Status & Outlook of the U.K. Pizza Category and Its Customers study to provide manufacturers and operators with in-depth industry, menu, and consumer-based research, as well as key recommendations for driving success in the dynamic pizza category. The study found:
- Healthier ingredients may boost sales: Nearly half of consumers (46 per cent) would like more restaurants to offer healthier pizza ingredients
- Younger consumers drive 'away-from-home' pizza purchases: 65 per cent of consumers aged 18–34 order pizza at restaurants when eating-in at least once a month
- Pizza's appeal extends to non-pizza restaurants: 33 per cent of consumers order pizza at independent limited-service restaurants at least once a month and 24 per cent do so at full-service restaurants that do not specialise in pizza or Italian cuisine
- Consumers prefer thin crust pizza: Consumers find thin crust to be the most appealing type of crust
This comprehensive study delivers findings from original research, as well as powerful trend analysis from Technomic's MenuMonitor database and consumer surveys. By way of this report, operators can:
- Learn how the pizza category performance compares to overall industry performance
- Explore pizza offerings from the Top 150 limited-service and full-service chain restaurant menus
- Identify consumer behaviour regarding pizza, including consumption, purchasing decisions, preferences and attitudes
- Examine current and upcoming menu, marketing and concept trends for the pizza category
- Assess the outlook for the pizza category, including where to expect future growth
Technomic provides numerous consumer trend and industry reports to the foodservice industry. To learn more, please visit Technomic.com or contact one of the individuals listed below. For Technomic updates, please follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or our blog.
Sales Enquiries: Adrian Greaves, 07888 917811 or [email protected]
Press Enquiries: Darren Tristano, 001 312 506 38050 or [email protected]
Report Enquiries: Kelly Weikel, 001 312 506 or [email protected]
Technomic provides clients with the facts, insights and consulting support they need to enhance their business strategies, decisions and results. Its services include numerous publications and digital products, as well as proprietary studies and ongoing research on all aspects of the food industry.