|By PR Newswire||
|March 5, 2014 05:30 PM EST||
CHICAGO, March 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With the L.A. Marathon right around the corner, the takeout experts at GrubHub, the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company, compiled some tips and trends for L.A. locals interested in learning about race-friendly takeout choices. An analysis of a year's worth of order data shows that diners in L.A. are 46% more likely than the rest of the country to order from restaurants offering healthier options.
GrubHub analysts dug further into order data to determine how Los Angeles stacks up against the rest of the nation when it comes to ordering the best fuel for workouts. The analysis shows that L.A. diners lead the nation in the following fitness-friendly food orders:
- Cottage cheese: 400% more popular in L.A. than throughout the rest of the nation
- Bananas: 52% more popular in L.A. than throughout the rest of the nation
- Yogurt: 48% more popular in L.A. than throughout the rest of the nation
- Salads: 36% more popular in L.A. than throughout the rest of the nation
- Oatmeal: 15% more popular in L.A. than throughout the rest of the nation
In addition to uncovering some of L.A.'s healthier ordering trends, GrubHub's takeout experts worked with a Registered Dietitian to come up with the following tips for those interested in fitness-friendly takeout options.
The Runner's Guide to Ordering Takeout: While fueling with the right foods and fluids is crucial to performing your best; when you eat is equally critical. Eat a small snack 2-3 hours before your run,[i] but avoid eating immediately before a big race or workout to prevent cramping. Opt for foods that are high in carbs, but moderate in protein and low in fiber and fat (which may cause gastrointestinal distress).[ii] Choose familiar foods that will be well tolerated.
- ORDER: High-carb foods with a protein component
- SEARCH FOR: Whole grains, peanut butter, oatmeal, fresh fruits, non-fat yogurt, starchy veggies like sweet potatoes, white and brown rice, non-sauced pasta, light or low-fat cheese, cold-pressed juice
- AVOID: High-fiber or rich and fatty foods, gas-forming foods, caffeine and alcohol
- Broccoli, cauliflower, beans, milk, deep-fried items or items described as "crispy"
- GRUBHUB TIP: When ordering online, make sure to utilize the special instructions box to customize your meal to meet your needs. Some simple ways to reduce oil and butter intake include asking for sauces on the side or requesting food to be grilled rather than fried.
Following a race or any strenuous workout, it's important to start replenishing as soon as possible; and with GrubHub as an option, you can relax and order your post-workout meal without moving a muscle2. Since carbs replace glycogen stores and protein provides amino acids for building and repairing muscle tissues, try recharging with options like fruit and yogurt smoothies, plain bagels or whole grain toast with peanut butter and fluids and electrolytes like water, sports drinks or chocolate milk.
[i] American College of Sports Medicine Pre-event Meals. http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/preeventmeals.pdf Accessed, February 2, 2014
[ii] Rodriquez NR, DiMarco NM, Langley S: Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance. J Am Diet Assoc 2009, 109 (3): 509-27
*NOTE: Even if you have already been running regularly, be sure to always check with your doctor to share your plans of training for and run in a marathon. Information in this tip sheet is provided for informational purposes, is not tailored to the needs of your specific situation and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other health professional.
About GrubHub Inc.
GrubHub Inc. is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The company's online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order directly from approximately 28,800 takeout restaurants in more than 600 U.S. cities and London. Every order is supported by the company's 24/7 customer service teams. GrubHub Inc. has more than 600 employees, with offices in Chicago, New York and London.
SOURCE GrubHub Inc.