|By PR Newswire||
|March 13, 2014 06:30 AM EDT||
CALGARY, March 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - Oncolytics Biotech Inc. (TSX:ONC, NASDAQ:ONCY) ("Oncolytics" or the "Company") today announced its financial results and operational highlights for the year ended December 31, 2014.
"In 2013, we reported data from a number of clinical studies, which included our first data correlating specific biomarkers with survival in NSCLC lung cancer patients and culminated with the reporting of our first randomized data in head and neck cancer," said Dr. Brad Thompson, President and CEO of Oncolytics. "Our randomized clinical program continues to move ahead with six sponsored studies currently enrolling patients in a range of indications. Each of these studies will advance in parallel with our ongoing head and neck program which we are currently in the process of designing a follow-on registration study for discussion with regulators."
Since January 1, 2013, specific highlights announced by the Company include:
Clinical Trial Results
- Top-line data for the endpoints in a double blinded, randomized clinical study examining REOLYSIN® in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel in patients with second-line platinum-refractory, taxane-naïve head and neck cancers (REO 018). An analysis was performed on an intent-to-treat basis of 118 patients with loco-regional head and neck cancer, with or without metastases. Patients in the control arm were treated with carboplatin and paclitaxel, while patients in the test arm were treated with carboplatin, paclitaxel and REOLYSIN. The analysis showed a median progression free survival (PFS) of 94 days (13.4 weeks) in the test arm (n=62), versus 50 days (7.1 weeks) in the control arm (n=56). The test arm maintained a PFS benefit over the control arm through five cycles of therapy. An analysis of 88 loco-regional patients that did not receive additional therapy following discontinuation of study treatment showed a median overall survival (OS) of 150 days (21.4 weeks) in the test arm (n=50), versus 115 days (16.4 weeks) in the control arm (n=38). REOLYSIN was deemed safe and well-tolerated by patients. The side effects experienced by patients in the test arm of the study were consistent with expectations based on outcomes of earlier clinical studies using REOLYSIN. Patients on the test arm of the study experienced a higher incidence of flu-like symptoms consistent with treatment with a virus, most commonly mild fever, chills, nausea and diarrhea, on both a per-patient and a per-cycle basis. Fewer patients required dose reductions of paclitaxel due to neuropathy or neurotoxicity on the test arm than the control arm (zero in the test arm versus six in the control arm; p=0.028). On this basis, the Company intends to explore the potential chemoprotective and neuroprotective properties of REOLYSIN in future clinical studies;
- Positive final results from a U.S. Phase 2 study examining the use of REOLYSIN in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel in patients with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with Kras or EGFR-activated tumors (REO 016). Response evaluation for 36 evaluable patients showed 11 partial responses (PR) (30%) (EGFR amplified, five; BRAF two; Kras, three; EGFR mutated, one), 21 stable disease (SD), and four progressive disease (PD). The data also correlated a number of molecular abnormalities with best response, PFS and one-year survival. Current data in these patients demonstrates that 20 of 36 evaluable patients (56%) survived a year or more. There were 13 patients with only EGFR mutations or amplifications, of whom nine (69.2%) survived a year or longer. Four of four (100%) patients with BRAF and EGFR amplification survived a year or longer;
- Final tumor response and PFS data from a U.S. Phase 2 clinical trial in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the lung (SCCLC) using intravenous administration of REOLYSIN in combination with carboplatin and paclitaxel (REO 021). Of the 25 evaluable patients who had more than one cycle of therapy, 23 (92%) exhibited overall tumor shrinkage. When evaluated for best response, which is the best percentage response recorded on study compared to baseline, 10 patients (40%) had PR, while a further 14 (56%) showed SD, and one (4%), had PD. Using RECIST criteria to evaluate best overall response, 10 patients (40%) had PRs, 12 (48%) showed SD and three (12%), had PD. 31.8% of patients with sufficient follow up had a PFS greater than six months;
- Reaching the stage 1 endpoint in a U.S. Phase 2 clinical trial in patients with metastatic melanoma (REO 020) after only 14 patients were enrolled. The primary objective of this Phase 2 trial was to assess the antitumor effect of the treatment regimen in the study population in terms of objective response rates. The secondary objectives were to assess progression-free survival and overall survival for the treatment regimen; the disease control rate (complete response (CR) plus PR plus SD) and duration, and to assess the safety and tolerability of the treatment regimen in the study population. Three of the 14 patients exhibited a PR, and an additional seven patients had SD for a disease control rate of 71.5%; and
Positive preliminary results from a Phase 1 study examining the
intravenous administration of REOLYSIN in combination with FOLFIRI in
patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (REO 022) in a poster
presentation at the ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. Of the 18
patients evaluable for response there was one PR and nine had SD. The
combined overall PFS of FOLFIRI-naïve and FOLFIRI-failed patients was
7.4 months. The authors concluded that the combination of REOLYSIN and
FOLFIRI was safe and well tolerated and resulted in disease control in
the majority of evaluable patients, including patients that had
previously progressed on Irinotecan.
- At December 31, 2013 the Company reported $27.2 million in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments; and
- Subsequent to year end, entry into a share purchase agreement with Lincoln Park Capital Fund, LLC that will provide an initial investment in Oncolytics of US$1.0 million and make available additional periodic investments of up to US$25.0 million over a 30-month term.
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF FINANCIAL POSITION|
|Cash and cash equivalents||25,220,328||19,323,541|
|Total current assets||27,689,568||21,668,842|
|Property and equipment||532,459||409,248|
|Total non-current assets||532,459||409,248|
|Liabilities And Shareholders' Equity|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||6,008,661||7,291,310|
|Total current liabilities||6,008,661||7,291,310|
|Issued: December 31, 2013 - 84,803,818|
|December 31, 2012 - 76,710,285||228,612,564||198,155,091|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||79,698||(57,115)|
|Total shareholders' equity||22,213,366||14,786,780|
|Total liabilities and equity||28,222,027||22,078,090|
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF LOSS AND COMPREHENSIVE LOSS|
|For the years ending December 31,||
|Research and development||18,506,064||31,402,625||23,386,685|
|Loss before the following||(23,898,724)||(36,688,050)||(28,721,267)|
|Write down of asset available for sale||—||—||(735,681)|
|Change in fair value of warrant liability||—||—||36,000|
|Loss before income taxes||(23,527,239)||(36,343,047)||(29,004,701)|
|Income tax expense||(5,408)||(30,474)||(40,000)|
Other comprehensive income items that may
be reclassified to net loss
|Net comprehensive loss||(23,395,834)||(36,313,135)||(29,005,542)|
|Basic and diluted loss per common share||(0.28)||(0.48)||(0.41)|
|Weighted average number of shares (basic and diluted)||83,530,981||76,102,062||70,911,526|
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CHANGES IN EQUITY|
|As at December 31, 2010||155,439,610||4,108,652||19,399,489||(156,660)||(142,396,131)||36,394,960|
|Net loss and comprehensive income||—||—||—||39,159||(29,044,701)||(29,005,542)|
|Exercise of warrants||21,487,080||(1,455,025)||—||—||—||20,032,055|
|Exercise of stock options||355,876||—||(62,473)||—||—||293,403|
|Share based compensation||—||—||1,805,503||—||—||1,805,503|
|As at December 31, 2011||177,282,566||2,653,627||21,142,519||(117,501)||(171,440,832)||29,520,379|
|Net loss and comprehensive income||—||—||—||60,386||(36,373,521)||(36,313,135)|
|Issued, pursuant to a bought deal financing||19,386,903||376,892||—||—||—||19,763,795|
|Expiry of warrants||—||(2,653,627)||2,653,627||—||—||—|
|Exercise of stock options||1,485,622||—||(400,632)||—||—||1,084,990|
|Share based compensation||—||—||730,751||—||—||730,751|
|As at December 31, 2012||198,155,091||376,892||24,126,265||(57,115)||(207,814,353)||14,786,780|
|Net loss and comprehensive income||—||—||—||136,813||(23,532,647)||(23,395,834)|
|Issued, pursuant to a bought deal financing||30,218,796||—||—||—||—||30,218,796|
|Expiry of warrants||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Exercise of stock options||238,677||—||(59,437)||—||—||179,240|
|Share based compensation||—||—||424,384||—||—||424,384|
|As at December 31, 2013||228,612,564||376,892||24,491,212||79,698||(231,347,000)||22,213,366|
|ONCOLYTICS BIOTECH INC.|
|CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS|
|For the years ending December 31,||
|Net loss for the year||(23,532,647)||(36,373,521)||(29,044,701)|
|Amortization - property and equipment||131,623||109,275||92,590|
|Share based compensation||424,384||730,751||1,805,503|
|Change in fair value of warrant liability||—||—||(36,000)|
|Write down of asset available for sale||—||—||735,681|
|Unrealized foreign exchange loss||(89,721)||89,890||115,234|
|Net change in non-cash working capital||(1,374,172)||1,187,967||3,790,510|
|Cash used in operating activities||(24,440,533)||(34,255,638)||(22,541,183)|
|Acquisition of property and equipment||(254,834)||(126,412)||(257,790)|
|Redemption (purchase) of short-term investments||(32,416)||(32,441)||1,672,459|
|Cash provided by (used in) investing activities||(287,250)||(158,853)||1,414,669|
|Proceeds from exercise of stock options and warrants||179,240||1,084,990||14,824,658|
|Proceeds from public offering||30,218,796||19,763,795||—|
|Cash provided by financing activities||30,398,036||20,848,785||14,824,658|
|Increase (decrease) in cash||5,670,253||(13,565,706)||(6,301,856)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, beginning of year||19,323,541||32,918,751||39,296,682|
|Impact of foreign exchange on cash and cash equivalents||226,534||(29,504)||(76,075)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, end of year||25,220,328||19,323,541||32,918,751|
To view the Company's Fiscal 2013 Consolidated Financial Statements, related Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements, and Management's Discussion and Analysis, please see the Company's annual filings which will be available on www.sedar.com and on www.oncolyticsbiotech.com/for-investors/financials.
About Oncolytics Biotech Inc.
Oncolytics is a Calgary-based biotechnology company focused on the development of oncolytic viruses as potential cancer therapeutics. Oncolytics' clinical program includes a variety of human trials including a Phase III trial in head and neck cancers using REOLYSIN, its proprietary formulation of the human reovirus. For further information about Oncolytics, please visit: www.oncolyticsbiotech.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements, including the Company's belief as to the potential of REOLYSIN as a cancer therapeutic; the Company's expectations as to the success of its research and development programs in 2014 and beyond, the Company's planned operations, the value of the additional patents and intellectual property; the Company's expectations related to the applications of the patented technology; the Company's expectations as to adequacy of its existing capital resources; the design, timing, success of planned clinical trial programs; and other statements related to anticipated developments in the Company's business and technologies involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, which could cause the Company's actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties include, among others, the availability of funds and resources to pursue research and development projects, the efficacy of REOLYSIN as a cancer treatment, the success and timely completion of clinical studies and trials, the Company's ability to successfully commercialize REOLYSIN, uncertainties related to the research and development of pharmaceuticals, uncertainties related to the regulatory process and general changes to the economic environment. Investors should consult the Company's quarterly and annual filings with the Canadian and U.S. securities commissions for additional information on risks and uncertainties relating to the forward-looking statements. Investors are cautioned against placing undue reliance on forward-looking statements. The Company does not undertake to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by applicable laws.
SOURCE Oncolytics Biotech Inc.
ScriptRock makes GuardRail, a DevOps-ready platform for configuration monitoring. Realizing we were spending way too much time digging up, cataloguing, and tracking machine configurations, we began writing our own scripts and tools to handle what is normally an enormous chore. Then we took the concept a step further, giving it a beautiful interface and making it simple enough for our bosses to understand. We named it GuardRail after its function - to allow businesses to move fast and stay sa...
Dec. 22, 2014 04:30 AM EST Reads: 912
SYS-CON Media announced today that Sematext launched a popular blog feed on DevOps Journal with over 6,000 story reads over the weekend. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting an...
Dec. 22, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 879
In high-production environments where release cycles are measured in hours or minutes — not days or weeks — there's little room for mistakes and no room for confusion. Everyone has to understand what's happening, in real time, and have the means to do whatever is necessary to keep applications up and running optimally. DevOps is a high-stakes world, but done well, it delivers the agility and performance to significantly impact business competitiveness.
Dec. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 929
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,041
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 21, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,384
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,010
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,426
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,989
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,015
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,064
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,162
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,811
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 21, 2014 08:30 AM EST Reads: 2,294
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 21, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,006
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's