|By Business Wire||
|March 13, 2014 09:05 AM EDT||
Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) and AVX Corporation (NYSE: AVX) today announced expansion of Solutions for Hope to the Province of North Kivu, the conflict-prone area of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). The innovative Solutions for Hope platform allows tantalum from the DRC to be used in Motorola Solutions and AVX products without the involvement of illegal armed groups, or “conflict free.” Tantalum is a material used to manufacture certain capacitors that enable electronic products and is derived from the mineral coltan, which is in rich supply in the DRC.
- Solutions for Hope was launched in July 2011 in the DRC’s Katanga province. For the first time in the region, it created a “closed-pipe” supply model that has proven effective. The model uses a defined set of suppliers covering the mines, smelters, capacitor manufacturers (AVX) and end users (Motorola Solutions).
- As a result, Solutions for Hope not only validates that “conflict minerals” do not enter the supply chain but also creates economic benefits for artisanal miners and their families. Thus, it supports the policies of the United States and the European Union because it avoids imposition of a de facto, country-wide embargo on the DRC that would impoverish non-conflict areas.
- The same closed-pipe model will engage a mine (Mwangachuchu Hizi International [MHI]) and smelters (F&X and Global Advanced Metals) to initiate a flow of tantalum within a conflict-free framework in North Kivu that will help enable miners to work and support their families and generate transparent public revenue for the DRC.
- New legislation requires U.S. companies to disclose the use of certain minerals, including tantalum, used in their products and to describe the process used to ensure that the purchase of these minerals does not fund the illegal armed groups operating in the DRC. Solutions for Hope is consistent with the requirements of this new legislation.
Solutions for Hope supports the development and implementation of
several initiatives already under way in cooperation with the
International Conference of the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) and the
government of the DRC to establish a conflict-free infrastructure in
the DRC, such as:
- The iTSCi Programme, which provides due diligence assessment on the upstream supply chain; baseline and continual evaluation of the circumstances around the mine; facilitation of stakeholder engagement; traceability of minerals produced and independent auditing
- Certification of mines by German Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR) Certified Trading Chains
- Validation and capacity building of conflict-free supply chains put in place by the government of the DRC with support from multiple donors, including the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the EU
- Conflict-free smelter program by the Conflict-Free Sourcing Initiative
- Due diligence guidance and implementation by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the United Nations Group of Experts
- Public-Private Alliance for Responsible Minerals Trade, which links global end users with upstream operators and governments to promote responsible sourcing
- A multi-stakeholder group with representatives from AVX, Motorola Solutions, Global Advanced Metals, the Enough Project, the Public Private Alliance for Responsible Minerals Trade and the USAID implementing partner International Organization for Migration visited the MHI mine site and North Kivu provincial authorities in November 2013 to evaluate the feasibility of the project in the region.
- An independent auditor has validated Solutions for Hope so it can be used by other companies that wish to demonstrate a responsible supply chain while continuing to use DRC-mined minerals.
- North Kivu is a province bordering Lake Kivu in the eastern DRC. Its capital is Goma. The region is politically unstable and has been one of the flashpoints in military conflicts in the region since 1994.
- Solutions for Hope demonstrates the commitment of AVX and Motorola Solutions to being in the vanguard of companies committed to humane, people-focused responses to the conflict-mineral problem.
- Motorola Solutions and AVX will continue to work with stakeholders to evaluate the project so that lessons can be shared with other industries in other regions and Solutions for Hope can be expanded.
Willing King, deputy general manager - tantalum, AVX Corporation
“AVX is dedicated to achieving the highest standards for conflict-free supply chains using innovative and reliable methods that preserve and protect human rights around the globe. AVX has been and will continue to be a corporate leader and partner to establish groundbreaking practices that set an example for other companies to reach the goal of a conflict-free supply chain without victimizing the innocent.”
Rich Valin, chief procurement officer, Motorola Solutions
“While the problem of conflict minerals cannot be solved by one company or a single industry, Solutions for Hope underscores Motorola Solutions’ commitment to responsible sourcing from the DRC. We have helped to create this supply line to demonstrate that the DRC can and should remain a viable source of conflict-free minerals. This tightly controlled supply line will validate conflict-free tantalum for these capacitors and support the conflict-free verification systems being implemented in the DRC.”
Sasha Lezhnev, senior policy analyst, Enough Project
“Building a conflict-free mine in the heart of eastern Congo is both a tremendous and courageous step in an area where deadly armed groups roamed just a year ago. Motorola Solutions, AVX, and MHI deserve serious praise for making this happen. We look forward to seeing concrete benefits for Congolese miners and communities from the project, as we have seen from other clean mines in the region.”
Diana Putman, USAID mission director for Democratic Republic of Congo
“The start-up of legitimate conflict-free mining in North Kivu is a significant milestone and supports USAID's long-term goal of establishing a more stable economic environment in eastern Congo that generates benefits for local populations and transparent revenue for the Congo’s government. These efforts demonstrate to the world that with the proper cooperation of governments, civil society and industry a truly conflict-free supply chain can be developed within some of the more historically troubled areas of the DRC. We applaud and support the efforts of companies that engage in conflict-free sourcing from the DRC.”
Website: AVX Corporation
Website: Motorola Solutions
Website: Solutions for Hope
U.S. Legislation: Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our media center or subscribe to our news feed.
AVX Corporation is a leading international supplier of electronic passive components and interconnect solutions with 26 manufacturing and customer support facilities in 15 countries around the world. AVX offers a broad range of devices including capacitors, resistors, filters, timing and circuit protection devices and connectors. The company is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: AVX).
About Solutions for Hope
Solutions for Hope is a platform that supports companies, civil society organizations and governments working together to responsibly source minerals from regions experiencing conflict and where market access is limited by opaque supply chains. The program manages risk for participating companies and offers recognition for participation. The Solutions for Hope model is being explored for further expansion to gold and to other locations where increased transparency, traceability and supply chain due diligence is sought for tin, tantalum, tungsten and gold. The Solutions for Hope program is part of RESOLVE’s Solutions Network.
MOTOROLA, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2014 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SYS-CON Events announced today that FierceDevOps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FierceDevOps keeps software developers and IT operations personnel updated on the latest news and trends around the rapidly evolving role of the traditional IT worker.
Apr. 2, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,684
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and...
Apr. 2, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,995
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Apr. 1, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,655
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Apr. 1, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 689
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Apr. 1, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,514
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a “Make or Buy” decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud busi...
Apr. 1, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,696
Businesses are looking to empower employees and departments to do more, go faster, and streamline their processes. For all workers – but mobile workers especially – utilizing the cloud to reconnect documents and improve processes without destructing existing workflows can have a dramatic impact on productivity. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Mark Grilli, vice president of Acrobat Solutions marketing at Adobe Systems Incorporated, will outline new ways that the cloud is changing the way peo...
Apr. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,485
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable clou...
Apr. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 836
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of C...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 762
With the arrival of the Big Data revolution, a data professional is expected to master a broad spectrum of complex domains including data processing, mathematics, programming languages, machine learning techniques, and business knowledge. While this mastery is undoubtedly important, this narrow focus on tool usage has divorced many from the imagination required to solve real-world problems. As the demand for analysis increases, the data science community must transform from tool experts to "data...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 886
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, will provide some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the dat...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 709
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,485
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,292
SYS-CON Events announced today that Emcien will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Emcien’s vision is to let anyone use data to know the future. Emcien has built an automated, predictive analysis product that improves the lives of real people. Emcien allows people to automate their data analysis so they can build a better future.
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 895
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional S...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,129