|By Business Wire||
|March 18, 2014 07:00 AM EDT||
NOOK Media LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), one of the world’s largest booksellers and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced that NOOK Press (www.nookpress.com), Barnes & Noble’s easy to use self-publishing platform, is now available to authors and publishers in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium. Authors and publishers in these countries can now upload and start selling their books in these territories through NOOK devices and Free NOOK Reading Apps™, allowing them to reach millions of NOOK customers around the globe. As part of this expanded availability, NOOK Press is now available in multiple languages including French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, as well as English, and authors will be paid in their local currency.
“We are excited to make NOOK Press available to independent authors and publishers in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium, opening up new sales opportunities to international authors and publishers,” said Theresa Horner, General Manager of NOOK Press. “This is another example of Barnes & Noble’s long-standing commitment to supporting and promoting authors and publishers, and bringing the very best content to its customers.”
NOOK Press is an innovative self-publishing platform offering authors a fast, easy and free way to write, edit, collaborate and publish the highest quality eBooks and make them available to millions of avid reading customers. Titles that launch through NOOK Press are available on NOOK devices and Free NOOK Reading Apps in the US and UK, and via the NOOK® for Windows 8.1 Free Reading App in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium. For US publishers with worldwide rights, their existing NOOK Press content will roll out in the newly added countries over the coming months.
NOOK Press titles will continue to receive unique merchandising opportunities across the NOOK platform, including through popular programs like NOOK First and NOOK Press Presents, as well as on NOOK devices, on BN.com and NOOK.co.uk, and through customer emails and social media. Plus, starting this spring, NOOK Press titles will be featured in a new UK-specific program called Digital First, which will offer selected NOOK Press titles side by side with commercially published titles, with prominent placement on NOOK.co.uk and on the integrated shops on NOOK tablets and eReaders.
“By expanding NOOK Press to the international community, we're furthering our dedication to bring NOOK’s best-in-class digital reading experience and exciting new content to our customers around the globe,” said Colin Eustace, General Manager, Barnes & Noble S.A.R.L. “Our goal is to get more people reading digitally, and with NOOK Press, we’re offering readers access to new voices and stories, and it’s another great reason to start reading with NOOK.”
NOOK Press Provides Authors with Simple Tools:
- Instant Access: The “Quick Start” option lets writers try out the tools before they commit to becoming a vendor – all they need to sign up is an email address. “Live Chat” offers writers instant support and personalized answers to questions at every stage of the publishing process. The service is available Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm GMT in local languages.
- One-stop Service: Authors can write, edit, format and publish their work in one place with exclusive content tools all at no cost, and sell books to millions of NOOK customers within 2-3 days.
- Easy ePub Creation and Editing: With new content creation tools, authors can easily upload a manuscript just once, then continue to write and edit directly within NOOK Press, quickly and easily turning their work into a professional-quality ePub file.
- Integrated Collaboration: NOOK Press allows authors to safely and quickly invite their network of friends and editors to read and comment on any NOOK Press project in a secure environment.
- Fast International Publishing: When authors click “Publish,” their books go on sale as a NOOK Book® within 72 hours.
- Easy-to-Read Sales Reporting: A visually-enhanced sales report allows authors to easily track daily sales and monitor month-over-month progress.
- Pathways to Passionate Readers: With NOOK Press, authors can publish once and reach millions of customers around the globe.
- Unbeatable Merchandising Opportunities: NOOK Press offers authors robust merchandising opportunities in the NOOK Store® and NOOK ecosystem, including special NOOK Press-focused merchandising programs, such as NOOK First, NOOK Press Presents and Digital First, which surface great new independent reads to NOOK customers. Select content will also be included in social media campaigns, emails and newsletters directed to millions of NOOK customers, resulting in broader audience reach, more sales and new independent bestsellers.
- Competitive Compensation Model: At NOOK Press, authors enjoy a simple and competitive compensation model, with no hidden terms or fees. NOOK Press authors can price their titles between £0.75 ($0.99/€ 0.99) and £120.00 ($199.99/€ 199.99) and receive a competitive royalty based on the given price. For NOOK Press titles priced at or between £1.50 and £7.99 ($2.99 and $9.99/€ 2.50 and € 9.49), authors receive 65 percent of the list price for sold content. For those priced at £1.49 ($2.98/€ 2.49) or less, or £8.00 ($10.00/€ 9.50) or more, authors receive 40 percent of the provided list price. NOOK Press authors will be compensated for the list price they set with no additional charges, regardless of file size.
For more information on NOOK Press and to start publishing your work today, please visit www.nookpress.com.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The company operates 663 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store® (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC operates 696 bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
NOOK® and NOOK Store® are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. Other trademarks referenced in this release are the property of their respective owners.
About NOOK Media LLC
NOOK reading and entertainment products make it easy to Read What You Love, Anywhere You Like™ with a fun, easy-to-use and immersive digital reading experience. With NOOK, customers gain access to the expansive NOOK Store® of more than 3 million (US) and 2.5 million (UK) digital books, plus periodicals, comics, apps, movies and TV shows, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices through Free NOOK Reading Apps™ available at www.nook.com/freenookapps. NOOK owners receive Always Free NOOK Support in any of Barnes & Noble’s nearly 700 bookstores. Find NOOK devices in Barnes & Noble stores and online at www.nook.com, as well as leading retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, Target and many others. NOOK products are available in the United Kingdom at leading retailers; NOOK content can be purchased at www.nook.co.uk.