|By PR Newswire||
|March 18, 2014 11:05 AM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, March 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Obstacle course races are highly sought after by fitness enthusiasts and thrill seekers across the globe. Endurance-testing courses offer a series of unpredictable challenges of varying distances and difficulty, and premier sporting goods retailer Sport Chalet compiled helpful tips to support a safe and successful experience for racers of all skill levels.
"Obstacle races require strength of both body and mind, and pose serious tests of stamina, resilience, and quick-thinking," said Sport Chalet Expert Paul Smedley. "Appropriate footwear, properly-fitted clothing, sun protection and hydration are key factors to consider for anyone training for, and participating in, such races. It's important to remember that while these courses are to be taken seriously, participants should have fun as well."
Smedley created a list of the top five tips to prepare for upcoming obstacle course races:
- For races exceeding eight miles with numerous challenges, it's important to pack a lightweight hydration system like the Camelbak Bootlegger Hydration Pack, which fits the body snuggly and has an insulated tube to keep water from freezing in chilly conditions.
- Loose clothing can negatively impact speed and interfere with water obstacles, so lightweight compression tops and pants, such as the 2XU Compression Tights and 2XU Short Sleeve Compression Top, are advised for all conditions.
- Trail running shoes make for versatile footwear when dealing with different types of terrain. Mesh helps remove excess water to provide proper grip and stability for steep ascents and descents, featured in styles such as Reebok ATV 19 Running Shoes. Pair these trail shoes with a light sock like the SmartWool Phd Outdoor Light Mini Sock.
- In addition to protecting feet, hand protection is equally important. When considering the possibility of obstacles and course challenges such as spear throws, rope climbs, and sandbag carries, full finger work out gloves like the Nike Extreme Cross Training Glove may help prevent bare hands from suffering damage and pain during course execution. For added protection, an arm sleeve like the 2XU Performance Run Sleeve is also highly encouraged.
- On race day, make sure to arrive one to two hours before the designated start time. A small checklist of items to pack should include: copies of signed waivers, photo ID, waterproof sunscreen, dry clothes, fresh socks and shoes, soap and towel to wash up after the event, light jacket, and a headlamp like the Black Diamond Revolt Headlamp if the start time is 3:00 p.m. or later.
For more information on Sport Chalet's selection of gear for obstacle course-style races or to find the nearest Sport Chalet store, visit www.sportchalet.com. For additional media inquiries, contact [email protected].
About Sport Chalet
Sport Chalet (Nasdaq: SPCHA, SPCHB) is a premier, full service specialty sporting goods retailer featuring the industry's top sports brands in apparel, footwear, and sports equipment. Founded in 1959 by Norbert Olberz, the company has 51 stores in Arizona, California, Nevada and Utah; an online store at www.sportchalet.com; a Team Sales division; and offers more than 50 specialty services for the sports enthusiast, including online same day delivery, climbing, backcountry skiing, ski mountaineering, avalanche education, and mountain trekking instruction, car rack installation, snowboard and ski rental and repair, Scuba training and certification, Scuba boat charters, team sales, gait analysis, baseball/softball glove steaming and lacing, racquet stringing, and bicycle tune-up and repair at its store locations. For more information, visit Sport Chalet at www.sportchalet.com.
SOURCE Sport Chalet
The 4th International DevOps Summit, co-located with16th International Cloud Expo – being held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY – announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and ...
Oct. 31, 2014 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,026
We live in a time when seconds – even milliseconds – can have a dramatic economic impact on your company’s future. With technology being the primary conduit for consumer interaction, the user experience is at center stage. User experience will be a deciding factor in separating the future winners from the losers. By building more speed and agility into the application delivery process, DevOps prom...
Oct. 31, 2014 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,185
When an enterprise builds a hybrid IaaS cloud connecting its data center to one or more public clouds, security is often a major topic along with the other challenges involved. Security is closely intertwined with the networking choices made for the hybrid cloud. Traditional networking approaches for building a hybrid cloud try to kludge together the enterprise infrastructure with the public clou...
Oct. 30, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,544
Ixia develops amazing products so its customers can connect the world. Ixia helps its customers provide an always-on user experience through fast, secure delivery of dynamic connected technologies and services. Through actionable insights that accelerate and secure application and service delivery, Ixia's customers benefit from faster time to market, optimized application performance and higher-qu...
Oct. 30, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,847
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratogent will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Stratogent is a custom managed services organization based in San Mateo, California. We design, implement, and support mission critical infrastructure 24x7 on premises, in datacenters and in t...
Oct. 30, 2014 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,150
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grid Dynamics, the leading provider of scalable eCommerce technology solutions, will exhibit at DevOps Summit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grid Dynamics is a leading provider of open, scalable, next-generation commerce technology solutions for Tier 1 retail. Grid Dynamics h...
Oct. 30, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
SYS-CON Events announced today that Harbinger Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Harbinger Systems is a global company providing software technology services. Since 1990, Harbinger has developed a strong customer base worldwide. Its customers include software product...
Oct. 30, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,193
SYS-CON Events announces a new pavilion on the Cloud Expo floor where WebRTC converges with the Internet of Things. Pavilion will showcase WebRTC and the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices--co...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,181
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterp...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,255
Docker offers a new, lightweight approach to application portability. Applications are shipped using a common container format and managed with a high-level API. Their processes run within isolated namespaces that abstract the operating environment independently of the distribution, versions, network setup, and other details of this environment. This "containerization" has often been nicknamed "th...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,791