|By PR Newswire||
|March 20, 2014 04:43 PM EDT||
LUXEMBOURG, March 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Adecoagro S.A. (NYSE: AGRO, Bloomberg: AGRO US, Reuters: AGRO.K), one of the leading agricultural companies in South America, announced today its results for the fourth quarter of 2013.
Main highlights for the period:
Financial & Operational Highlights
- In the 2013 fiscal year, Adecoagro recorded an Adjusted EBITDA of $180.7 million, 28.4% higher than that of 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin in 2013 reached 28.9% compared to 23.8% in 2012.
- In 4Q13, Adjusted EBITDA was $66.5 million with an Adjusted EBITDA margin of 42.1%, compared to $68.5 million and 40.0% in 4Q12, respectively.
- The Farming and Land Transformation businesses' Adjusted EBITDA in 4Q13 was 38.5 million, 17.6% higher than 4Q12. This increase is mainly explained by: (i) higher rice yields and white rice prices; (ii) an increase in cow productivity coupled with higher milk prices in the dairy business; and (iii) the sale of the San Martin and San Agustin farms which generated a $21.3 million gain in 4Q13 compared to a $19.4 million gain in 4Q12.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA grew by 29.6%, from $68.6 million in 2012 to $88.9 million mainly driven by: (i) operational and financial performance in the dairy and rice businesses; (ii) gains generated from our commodity hedge position; and (iii) the sale of five developed farms generating $28.2 million gains in 2013 compared to $27.5 million the previous year.
- In the Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business, the fourth quarter of 2013 marked the conclusion of the 2013/14 sugarcane harvest. Favorable weather during the quarter allowed our mills to increase the pace of milling, which reached a total of 1.8 million tons, marking a 28.7% growth quarter-over-quarter. Adjusted EBITDA of our Sugar, Ethanol and Energy business during 4Q13 was $35.2 million with an EBITDA margin of 33.9%, compared to $42.3 million and 43.2% in 4Q12, respectively. This reduction was mainly driven by: (i) 9.2% lower TRS content as a result of the frost which impacted the Center-South region of Brazil in mid July 2013; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices; and (iii) the commercial strategy to carry sugar and ethanol inventories into the inter-harvest season to capture higher prices, postponing sales and margins to 1Q14.
On an annual basis, Adjusted EBITDA in 2013 totaled $115.2 million, 18.2% above 2012. Adjusted EBITDA margin during the period expanded to 38.8% from 36.2%. The improvement in financial performance was primarily driven by a 43.0% increase in cane milling, resulting from (i) a 16.0% expansion of our sugarcane plantation, (ii) the ramp up of the Ivinhema mill which increased our nominal crushing capacity by 2.0 million tons, and (iii) a 4.6% increase in sugarcane yields. The growth in crushing and production was partially offset by: (i) a 5.4% reduction in TRS content; (ii) lower sugar and ethanol prices throughout the year; and (iii) our commercial strategy to increase year-end sugar and ethanol inventories by 58.6% and 45.5% respectively, as explained above.
- Consolidated Net Income in 2013 totaled a loss of $25.8 million, compared to a $9.3 million gain in 2012. Despite the 28.5% growth in Adjusted EBITDA, the net loss is mainly explained by: (i) a $55.7 million non-cash loss generated by the mark-to-market of our long term biological assets (primarily sugarcane); (ii) a 19.0 million loss resulting from the mark-to-market of currency derivatives used to hedge future US dollar inflows generated by our forward sugar sales; (iii) a $25.9 million increase in accrued interest expenses as a result of lower interest income, and higher interest expenses resulting from an increase in oustanding debt and lower capitalization of interests related to growth projects; and (iv) a $23.6 million foreign exchange loss, generated by the impact of the depreciation of the Brazilian Reais and Argentine Peso on our outsanding dollar-denominated debt.
- Farm Sales: During the fourth quarter, Adecoagro successfully sold the San Agustin and San Martin farms. The San Agustin farm was sold for $17.5 million, representing a 19% premium over the latest Cushman and Wakefield independent appraisal. The transaction generated $14.9 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 20.3%. The San Martin farm was sold for $7.8 million, representing a 15% premium over Cushman and Wakefield. The transaction generated $6.3 million of Adjusted EBITDA and resulted in an IRR of 34%.
In aggregate, during 2013 Adecoagro monetized five farms or 14.2 thousand hectares of its developed land portfolio. All farms were sold at premiums to the Cushman & Wakefield independent appraisal dated September 30, 2013 and generated in aggregate $59.4 million dollars of cash proceeds and $28.2 million of Adjusted EBITDA.
- Sugar, Ethanol & Energy Expansion: The construction of the first phase of the Ivinhema mill was completed during the beginning of 2013 on schedule and budget. Ivinhema's milling operations commenced on April 25, 2013, with 2.0 million tons of nominal crushing capacity, generating important synergies and efficiencies with the Angelica mill.
We are currently commencing the construction of the second phase of Ivinhema, which will expand milling capacity to 5.0 million tons per year by 2015, rather than 4.0 million tons as originally planned. The enlargement of Phase 2 will allow Ivinhema to enhance operational efficiencies and economies of scale, improving operating margins and accelerating free cash flow generation.
Phase 2 will consist of expanding the milling equipment, building a new fluidized bed boiler, 2 new electrical generators and expanding the sugar factory and ethanol distillery. Annual production is expected to increase to 300,000 tons of sugar, 240,000 cubic meters of ethanol and 360,000 MWh of energy exports. Total capital expenditure is estimated at BRL 583 million.
- Share Repurchase Program: On September 23, 2013, Adecoagro announced that its Board of Directors had authorized the implementation of a share repurchase program for up to 5% of the outstanding shares over the next 12-months. As of the date of this report, Adecoagro repurchased a total of 2.3 million shares or 1.9% of shares outstanding.
To read the full 4Q13 earnings release, please access ir.adecoagro.com. A conference call to discuss 4Q13 results will be held tomorrow with live webcast through the internet:
English Conference Call
Mar 21, 2014
11 a.m. (US EST)
12 p.m. Buenos Aires
12 p.m. Sao Paulo
4 p.m. Luxembourg
Tel: (877) 317-6776
Participants calling from the US
Tel: +1 (412) 317-6776
Participants calling from other countries
Access Code: Adecoagro
Investor Relations Department
Charlie Boero Hughes
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +54 (11) 4836-8651
Adecoagro is a leading agricultural company in South America. Adecoagro owns over 269 thousand hectares of farmland and several industrial facilities spread across the most productive regions of Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, where it produces over 1.3 million tons of agricultural products including corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, dairy products, sugar, ethanol and electricity among others.
SOURCE Adecoagro S.A.
ScriptRock makes GuardRail, a DevOps-ready platform for configuration monitoring. Realizing we were spending way too much time digging up, cataloguing, and tracking machine configurations, we began writing our own scripts and tools to handle what is normally an enormous chore. Then we took the concept a step further, giving it a beautiful interface and making it simple enough for our bosses to understand. We named it GuardRail after its function - to allow businesses to move fast and stay sa...
Dec. 21, 2014 02:30 PM EST Reads: 735
In high-production environments where release cycles are measured in hours or minutes — not days or weeks — there's little room for mistakes and no room for confusion. Everyone has to understand what's happening, in real time, and have the means to do whatever is necessary to keep applications up and running optimally. DevOps is a high-stakes world, but done well, it delivers the agility and performance to significantly impact business competitiveness.
Dec. 21, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 579
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 21, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,325
SYS-CON Media announced today that Sematext launched a popular blog feed on DevOps Journal with over 6,000 story reads over the weekend. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting an...
Dec. 21, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 719
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,972
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,404
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,985
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,970
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,141
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,793
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,040
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 21, 2014 08:30 AM EST Reads: 2,264
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 21, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,956
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,339