|By Business Wire||
|March 26, 2014 12:01 PM EDT||
Global Technology Symposium:
WHAT: The 11th annual Global Technology Symposium is bringing together an A-list of venture capitalists, corporate leaders, policymakers and entrepreneurs in an exclusive, retreat-type platform to push forward the conversation on innovation in today’s global marketplace. High-energy inspirational talks, fireside chats, interactive pitch competitions and exciting sideline events are all part of this year’s redefined program, fostering dynamic networking and deal talk among attendees.
“You either have a deal or you don’t have a deal,” explained GTS Founder and President Alexandra Johnson. “GTS is the place where deals happen.”
Showcasing emerging market startups and unique technologies from around the globe since 2004, GTS has been distinguished as Silicon Valley’s “must-attend” event for VCs looking to discover new opportunities and for entrepreneurs looking to expand.
WHEN | WHERE: Wednesday-Friday, March 26-28
Draper Hero City, 55 E 3rd Avenue, San Mateo, CA
A New Platform for a New Decade
“The Global Technology Symposium was born out of our deep interest in a rapidly changing global innovation ecosystem,” continued Johnson, also managing director of global venture capital fund DFJ VTB Capital Aurora. “Entering into its second decade, GTS is staying ahead of the curve by creating the platform for dealmakers.”
This year’s event is going beyond the structured sessions and is truly challenging trendsetters in California’s brand-new incubator space, Draper Hero City, where bean bags replace chairs and a Tesla acts as the front desk. Speakers will explore topics on space, social media, entrepreneurship and frontier technologies, and will delve into trends about venture capital. Speakers and moderators* include:
- Adam Draper, CEO and Founder, Boost
- Andrew Nelson, COO, XCOR Aerospace, Inc.
- Bill Tai*, Partner, Charles River Ventures; Co-Founder and Vice-President, MaiTai Global
- Chen Yu, VP of Product Marketing & Co-Founder, YeePay
- Claudia Fan Munce*, VP, MD IBM Venture Group
- David Goldsmith, President, Goldsmith Organization LLC; Author of "Paid to Think"
- Eric Feng, CTO, Flipboard
- Eric Kim, Managing Director, Maverick Capital
- Francisco Varela, Global Director of Platform Partnerships, YouTube
- Gabe Turner*, Director, DFJ Global Network
- Heidi Roizen*, Operations Partner, Draper Fisher Jurvetson
- John Nahm*, Managing Director, Strong Ventures; Managing Director, Oceans Partners
- Lorraine Hariton*, Special Representative for Commercial and Business Affairs, State Department
- Mark Milian*, Reporter, Bloomberg News
- Mark Shmulevich, Deputy Minister of Telecommunications, Russian Federation
- Nicolai Wadstrom, CEO & Founder, BootstrapLabs
- Peter Arvai, CEO & Co-Founder, Prezi
- Ron Conway, Founder, SV Angel
- Ronny Conway, Founder, A Capital
- Scott Sandell, General Partner, NEA
- Sean Griffin, CEO & Founder, StartUp Cup
- Steve Jurvetson*, Managing Director, Draper Fisher Jurvetson
- Susi Mai, Co-Founder and President, MaiTai Global
- Tim Draper, Founder, Draper University
- Val Babajov, Founder, VoiVoda Ventures
- Zeeshan Usmani, CEO, Go-Fig Solutions
For a detailed program, please visit www.globaltechsymposium.com/program.
Global Innovator Competition
The Global Technology Symposium is recognized for its role in growing startups through the Global Innovator Competition – bringing to the stage hand-selected startups to pitch their big ideas to the audience and a panel of prestigious venture capitalists. The winning startup receives the Global Innovator Award.
“This is a place that brings out the person in the entrepreneur - both on stage and on the sidelines,” Ron Conway, founder of SV Angel, said. “We invest in people first. GTS is known for spotting ‘the’ hit personalities worldwide.”
The competition is about identifying inspirational people and helping them launch their businesses. This year, GTS is proud to announce a global participant lineup of startups from Russia, Ukraine, Israel and Greece, as well as US-based startups targeting markets in Latin America and Europe.
Here are what some past winners have to say about the competition:
“Winning the Global Innovator Competition was a huge boost for eThor. It was the first time that we received any real international recognition for our company…” said Gary Ziegler, CEO of eThor, 2012 Winner, Canada.
“The prize we won in 2013 helped us confirm that MavenHut is building something innovative, something new, in a crowded market,” said Bobby Voicu, CEO of MavenHut, 2013 Winner, Ireland.
Sponsors & Partners
The gold sponsors are RUSNANO, the Russian Venture Company (RVC) and Sberbank; the silver sponsors are CISCO, Ernst & Young, and Silicon Valley Bank; and the bronze sponsors are Skoltech (Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology), Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati and Gate Ventures. The production partner is ROAR Design & Events. The technology partner is SysIQ. The marketing partners are the US-Russia Business Council (USRBC), The U.S.-Russia Chamber of Commerce of New England, Inc and beLAUNCH. The media partner is Lux Research.
About the Global Technology Symposium
The Global Technology Symposium (GTS) is Silicon Valley’s leading investment conference on venture capital, technology and entrepreneurship in emerging markets. GTS explores globalization and ways to find niche markets harboring the next big ideas by bringing together business and policy leaders with up-and-coming startups in the real world. With 10 years of success – featuring hundreds of speakers and thousands of influencers – GTS is not only a platform for unveiling the latest market intelligence, but it is a partnership-building process that allows companies to transform their vision into reality through strategic alliances.
Contact Elisabeth Morris-Maragoula to request a complimentary media registration.