|By Business Wire||
|March 26, 2014 03:06 PM EDT||
Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its new Optical Network Hardware Vendor Scorecard, which profiles, analyzes, and ranks the 10 largest global vendors of optical transport equipment: Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Coriant, ECI Telecom, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, and ZTE.
The 30-page scorecard evaluates vendors entirely on criteria using actual data and metrics, such as direct feedback from service providers, market share data, and publicly available financial data. This approach eliminates subjective scoring and ensures vendors are assessed accurately and fairly. The report answers such questions as: Who is the top scoring vendor overall? Who are the top vendors by criteria (market share, R&D investment, service and support, etc.)? What are each vendor’s strengths and weaknesses?
For a limited time, service providers can purchase Infonetics’ optical vendor scorecard for $1,000 (normally $5,000) to see how the top optical vendors rank in each of 7 key criteria, as well as in relation to one another. Contact Infonetics for details: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
“We wanted to create an objective measurement of the largest companies in the optical area that allows service providers to see the relative strengths and weaknesses of vendors. Unlike other analyst ranking approaches, our scorecard takes an entirely quantitative approach that removes subjectivity and best reflects the opinion of service providers and the market,” notes Andrew Schmitt, principal analyst for optical at Infonetics Research.
Schmitt continues: “Looking at the results, what really sets the vendors apart is financial stability and changes in market share as a result of some vendors capitalizing on the shift to optical transport networking (OTN) and coherent networking. Service provider feedback was also a key differentiator, particularly positive for Ciena, Fujitsu, and Infinera.”
OPTICAL NETWORK VENDOR SCORECARD HIGHLIGHTS
- With very high ratings for technology innovation, reliability, and service and support, Infinera received the highest overall score for optical transport equipment
- Fujitsu finished just a hair behind Infinera thanks to solid scores across the board and its strong 2013 revenue growth and packet-optical sales to tier-1 North American service providers
- Cisco secured 3rd place with consistent rankings across all criteria
- Viewed by most as the leader in the optical networking world, Ciena ranked 4th in Infonetics’ optical vendor scorecard, as its relatively high scores in categories like market share and momentum were offset by a low financial stability rating
- The largest supplier of optical hardware worldwide, Huawei, rounds out the top 5, chalking up a perfect score for market share, but limited by a poor market share momentum score
ABOUT INFONETICS’ OPTICAL SCORECARD
Infonetics’ new optical network scorecard evaluates the leading optical networking equipment vendors (based on 2013 optical equipment revenue) using criteria that are commonly used by buyers to select vendors, demonstrate success in the marketplace, and position a vendor for success. The matrix rankings are based on 7 criteria including market share; market share momentum; financial stability; packet-optical intensity; technology innovation; product reliability; and service and support. Companies ranked: Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, Cisco, Coriant, ECI, Fujitsu, Huawei, Infinera, NEC, and ZTE. To buy the scorecard, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
WEBINAR: ROADM NETWORK EXPANSION
Join analyst Andrew Schmitt April 8 at 11:00 AM EDT (or
watch the replay) for The Roadmap for ROADM Network Expansion,
a live event exploring the new capabilities and functionality of
colorless, directionless, and contentionless (CDC) ROADMs:
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- Infonetics’ latest Optical research brief: http://bit.ly/1nd361F
- OTN switching is booming; Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena, and Infinera cashing in
- Optical gear spending flat in 4Q13 as North America sags and EMEA surges
- Operators answer the big questions about metro 100G and ROADM deployments
- Pricing pressures drive down ROADM component market in first half of 2013
- Carriers dialing back spending on optical equipment; WDM segment outpaces the market
RECENT AND UPCOMING OPTICAL RESEARCH
- Analyst Note: 2014 Optical Market Outlook (Jan.)
- 10G/40G/100G Optical Transceivers Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- ROADM Components Market Size & Forecasts (May)
- Packet-Optical, MPLS & Control Plane Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (May)
- Optical Network Hardware Market Share & Forecasts - 1Q14 (mid-May)
- The Roadmap for ROADM Network Expansion (Apr. 8: Attend)
- 100G in the Metro: When and Where It Will Be Economical (View on-demand)
- Virtualizing Networks with SDN NVOs and Bare Metal Switches (View on-demand)
- Coherent Optics: Cheaper, Better, Faster (July: Sponsor)
- Building More Efficient Networks with Multi-Layer Packet-Optical (2H14: Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, [email protected], +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, [email protected], +1 408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, [email protected], +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.