|By PR Newswire||
|March 26, 2014 05:31 PM EDT||
PHILADELPHIA, March 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Senate today voted to confirm President Obama's nomination of Raynes McCarty partner Gerald A. "Jerry" McHugh to serve as a Judge in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
"We are thrilled for our dear friend and colleague that he has received this well-deserved honor," said Senior Partner Stephen Raynes. "Jerry's superb legal acumen and impeccable ethics, coupled with his dignified demeanor and great sense of humor, will make him a tremendous addition to the federal bench. His appointment has been applauded by every sector of the bar."
McHugh, who has practiced complex civil litigation for the past three decades, views his appointment as an opportunity to continue his life-long commitment to public service. In recognition of his work, McHugh has held numerous leadership positions and received various distinguished honors, including:
- Appointed three times by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to chair the Pennsylvania Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts Program.
- Former president of the Philadelphia Bar Foundation.
- President Emeritus of Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network.
- The Fidelity Award of the Philadelphia Bar Association;
- The Justice Michael A. Musmanno Award from the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association;
- The Leadership Award from Pennsylvania Legal Services;
- The Equal Justice Award from Community Legal Services of Philadelphia;
- The Young Lawyers Community Service Award of the Philadelphia Bar Association; and
- The Distinguished Child Advocate Award from the Support Center for Child Advocates.
He graduated summa cum laude from St. Joseph's University, as a College Scholar and valedictorian, and with honors from University of Pennsylvania Law School.
"We will sorely miss being able to walk down the hall and strategize with one of the best legal minds in the country," said Martin Brigham, Raynes McCarty's managing partner. "Any time you asked Jerry for help, he'd roll up his sleeves and jump in. Fortunately, we have had plenty of time to prepare for this transition and have a tremendous depth of talent here that will allow us to continue the quality of representation that Jerry provided to his clients."
For close to fifty years, personal injury firm Raynes McCarty has been known not only for securing record-setting financial recoveries, but also for its commitment to each client. The firm prides itself on "representing people," not "handling cases." While Raynes McCarty has secured more than one billion dollars for its clients, it has done so while shunning headlines for the firm to protect the dignity and confidentiality of its clients. For more information, visit http://www.raynesmccarty.com.
SOURCE Raynes McCarty