|By Business Wire||
|March 27, 2014 06:34 PM EDT||
FOSE, the largest, most comprehensive event serving the government technology community, is kicking off a day early this year with targeted half-day and full-day workshops designed to provide attendees with hands-on training in a variety of disciplines from winning government contracts to understanding the impact of the knowledge age. These new pre-event workshops, led by experts in the field, will take place on Monday, May 12, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., and will be followed by the FOSE 2014 conference and expo, May 13-15.
“By enhancing our attendees’ experience in 2014 with intensive and interactive workshops, FOSE is an even more valuable resource for government technology professionals,” said David Myers, event director, Government Events at 1105 Media. “At a single location, and in just a matter of days, FOSE attendees will be able to discover tools designed to help them do their jobs better, learn about best practices to improve agency operations and advance their personal career development with educational sessions and the opportunity to secure in-demand certifications.”
Full-day workshops, which cost $499 for government employees and contractors, and $599 for industry, include:
- “It’s the Knowledge Age. Do you know the impact on you personally?" – In 1993, Peter Drucker described a coming transformation, just as Knowledge Management (KM) appeared on the horizon. Most technologists think KM is just another IT application, but it’s really the first wave of a radical transformation. Drucker’s future is here, and as a result many individual career paths and organizations will be swallowed up by this transformation, especially those that don’t lead the adaptation. In this workshop custom-designed for FOSE, leader Douglas Weidner, chairman of the International Knowledge Management Institute and chief CKM Instructor at the KM Institute, will help participants assess their individual prospects and career opportunities, and for executives, explain the imperatives and implications of the Knowledge Age. Those who complete the workshop will gain credit toward either Certified Knowledge Practitioner (CKP)™ or Personal Knowledge Manager (PKM)™ certifications.
- Becoming a Certified Information Professional – Denise Bedford, Goodyear professor of Knowledge Management at Kent State University, will show how, in this fast-paced world of technology, it's not enough to be a deep subject matter expert – you have to understand the big picture. In this workshop, participants will learn what it means to be a certified information professional, including how they need broader skills set than what is traditionally found within records management, document management or IT departments. Today’s certified information professionals must understand the management, use and application of information, as well as the knowledge and social assets across the organization.
- Information Assurance (IA) for Managers – Led by Michael Riley, Information Systems Security Line of Business manager for Edgesource, this workshop will provide managers with topical information to complete their responsibilities for overseeing information security programs and employees. Attendees will participate in multiple group problem-solving exercises, including a risk assessment exercise.
- Introduction to Agile Business Intelligence – The challenges of meeting a growing demand by stakeholders for the ability to harvest information, gain insight, and share knowledge in support of proactive decision-making grows ever more important as data volume and complexity grow in our dynamic environment. This, coupled with a dramatic evolution of business intelligence and sophisticated analytics, will continue to drive user expectations of “anywhere, anytime, anyway” on-demand intuitive access. In this workshop, Karen Degner, an independent consultant with BlackBox Partners, will explore agile, lean and hybrid approaches to business intelligence (BI), data governance, data management and data warehouse. A Professional Development Unit (PDU) for each hour of training will be offered for the completion of this workshop.
Half-day workshops, which cost $299 for government employees and contractors, and $399 for industry, include:
- Information To Win™: FPDS-NG Beginner/Intermediate – Led by Guy Timberlake, chief visionary officer for The American Small Business Coalition, this interactive workshop will help neophytes and veterans of government contracting to develop a better understanding of and ability to use information they see and hear every day for decision-making related to finding and winning government contracts and subcontracts. Participants will learn how to leverage the data and information contained in the Federal Procurement Data System Next Generation (FPDS-NG), the primary source of government contracting historical transaction data used by free and fee-based information services.
- Guerilla Market Intelligence for Small Federal Contractors™ – This workshop, also led by Timberlake, will change how participants look for, look at and use information. Guerilla Market Intelligence for Small Federal Contractors™ is an abridged version of the Ethical Stalking for Government Contractors™, an eight-hour lecture and lab program that previous attendees credit with helping them to identify key market information not available through traditional information sources, and saving time and money for their companies in the area of opportunity identification and capture.
Workshop participants on May 12 can benefit from further education on May 13-15 at the free FOSE Expo, which brings together hundreds of vendors – from local suppliers to Fortune 500 companies that are among the most-trusted technology suppliers servicing government and private industry. Government personnel also receive entry to the FOSE conference program, featuring sessions on the proven tools and strategies presented by leading technology implementers in 7 tracks including: Cloud & Virtualization, Cybersecurity, Cybercrime and Cyberterrorism, Mobile Government, Big Data and Records Management , Project Management, and Acquisition and Procurement. Government contractors and industry personnel can attend the conference for one day, or all three days, at an economic rate. To register, visit the FOSE website.
For 37 years, FOSE has served as the nation's premier event for government technology professionals seeking tools and best practices to equip their agency for the 21st century. From policy updates—straight from the Hill—to exclusive insights from today's leading authorities to the most comprehensive showcase of technology in action—it's all at FOSE. For more information, visit www.FOSE.com. Please click here to register as press.
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,243
AppZero has announced that its award-winning application migration software is now fully qualified within the Microsoft Azure Certified program. AppZero has undergone extensive technical evaluation with Microsoft Corp., earning its designation as Microsoft Azure Certified. As a result of AppZero's work with Microsoft, customers are able to easily find, purchase and deploy AppZero from the Azure Marketplace. With just a few clicks, users have an Azure-based solution for moving applications to the...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 827
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,227
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 844
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,210
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 19, 2014 04:45 PM EST Reads: 876
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 19, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,317
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,874
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,695
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 19, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,976
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,896
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,887
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,186
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 19, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,182
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's