|By Business Wire||
|March 27, 2014 06:34 PM EDT||
FOSE, the largest, most comprehensive event serving the government technology community, is kicking off a day early this year with targeted half-day and full-day workshops designed to provide attendees with hands-on training in a variety of disciplines from winning government contracts to understanding the impact of the knowledge age. These new pre-event workshops, led by experts in the field, will take place on Monday, May 12, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C., and will be followed by the FOSE 2014 conference and expo, May 13-15.
“By enhancing our attendees’ experience in 2014 with intensive and interactive workshops, FOSE is an even more valuable resource for government technology professionals,” said David Myers, event director, Government Events at 1105 Media. “At a single location, and in just a matter of days, FOSE attendees will be able to discover tools designed to help them do their jobs better, learn about best practices to improve agency operations and advance their personal career development with educational sessions and the opportunity to secure in-demand certifications.”
Full-day workshops, which cost $499 for government employees and contractors, and $599 for industry, include:
- “It’s the Knowledge Age. Do you know the impact on you personally?" – In 1993, Peter Drucker described a coming transformation, just as Knowledge Management (KM) appeared on the horizon. Most technologists think KM is just another IT application, but it’s really the first wave of a radical transformation. Drucker’s future is here, and as a result many individual career paths and organizations will be swallowed up by this transformation, especially those that don’t lead the adaptation. In this workshop custom-designed for FOSE, leader Douglas Weidner, chairman of the International Knowledge Management Institute and chief CKM Instructor at the KM Institute, will help participants assess their individual prospects and career opportunities, and for executives, explain the imperatives and implications of the Knowledge Age. Those who complete the workshop will gain credit toward either Certified Knowledge Practitioner (CKP)™ or Personal Knowledge Manager (PKM)™ certifications.
- Becoming a Certified Information Professional – Denise Bedford, Goodyear professor of Knowledge Management at Kent State University, will show how, in this fast-paced world of technology, it's not enough to be a deep subject matter expert – you have to understand the big picture. In this workshop, participants will learn what it means to be a certified information professional, including how they need broader skills set than what is traditionally found within records management, document management or IT departments. Today’s certified information professionals must understand the management, use and application of information, as well as the knowledge and social assets across the organization.
- Information Assurance (IA) for Managers – Led by Michael Riley, Information Systems Security Line of Business manager for Edgesource, this workshop will provide managers with topical information to complete their responsibilities for overseeing information security programs and employees. Attendees will participate in multiple group problem-solving exercises, including a risk assessment exercise.
- Introduction to Agile Business Intelligence – The challenges of meeting a growing demand by stakeholders for the ability to harvest information, gain insight, and share knowledge in support of proactive decision-making grows ever more important as data volume and complexity grow in our dynamic environment. This, coupled with a dramatic evolution of business intelligence and sophisticated analytics, will continue to drive user expectations of “anywhere, anytime, anyway” on-demand intuitive access. In this workshop, Karen Degner, an independent consultant with BlackBox Partners, will explore agile, lean and hybrid approaches to business intelligence (BI), data governance, data management and data warehouse. A Professional Development Unit (PDU) for each hour of training will be offered for the completion of this workshop.
Half-day workshops, which cost $299 for government employees and contractors, and $399 for industry, include:
- Information To Win™: FPDS-NG Beginner/Intermediate – Led by Guy Timberlake, chief visionary officer for The American Small Business Coalition, this interactive workshop will help neophytes and veterans of government contracting to develop a better understanding of and ability to use information they see and hear every day for decision-making related to finding and winning government contracts and subcontracts. Participants will learn how to leverage the data and information contained in the Federal Procurement Data System Next Generation (FPDS-NG), the primary source of government contracting historical transaction data used by free and fee-based information services.
- Guerilla Market Intelligence for Small Federal Contractors™ – This workshop, also led by Timberlake, will change how participants look for, look at and use information. Guerilla Market Intelligence for Small Federal Contractors™ is an abridged version of the Ethical Stalking for Government Contractors™, an eight-hour lecture and lab program that previous attendees credit with helping them to identify key market information not available through traditional information sources, and saving time and money for their companies in the area of opportunity identification and capture.
Workshop participants on May 12 can benefit from further education on May 13-15 at the free FOSE Expo, which brings together hundreds of vendors – from local suppliers to Fortune 500 companies that are among the most-trusted technology suppliers servicing government and private industry. Government personnel also receive entry to the FOSE conference program, featuring sessions on the proven tools and strategies presented by leading technology implementers in 7 tracks including: Cloud & Virtualization, Cybersecurity, Cybercrime and Cyberterrorism, Mobile Government, Big Data and Records Management , Project Management, and Acquisition and Procurement. Government contractors and industry personnel can attend the conference for one day, or all three days, at an economic rate. To register, visit the FOSE website.
For 37 years, FOSE has served as the nation's premier event for government technology professionals seeking tools and best practices to equip their agency for the 21st century. From policy updates—straight from the Hill—to exclusive insights from today's leading authorities to the most comprehensive showcase of technology in action—it's all at FOSE. For more information, visit www.FOSE.com. Please click here to register as press.
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 2,644
At 15th Cloud Expo, Shrikant Pattathil, Executive Vice President at Harbinger Systems, demos a video delivery platform that helps you do interactive videos. He discusses how Harbinger is accomplishing it in the cloud world, the problems they faced and the choices they made to get around these problems.
Feb. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,772
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 1, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,799
AppDynamics, the application intelligence leader for software-defined businesses, announced the general availability of the AppDynamics Fall '14 Release. Serving the combined needs of IT and business teams across the enterprise, the latest release provides a comprehensive view across all aspects of digital performance in ultra large scale deployments. AppDynamics delivers Application Intelligence by building out advanced capabilities across the key areas of analytics, unified monitoring and D...
Feb. 1, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,104
CloudBees, Inc., has announced a $23.5 million financing round, led by longtime CloudBees investor Lightspeed Venture Partners. Existing investors Matrix Partners, Verizon Ventures and Blue Cloud Ventures also participated in the round. The latest funding announcement follows earlier rounds of $4 million, $10.5 million and $10.8 million, bringing the total investment in CloudBees to just under $50 million since the company’s inception in 2010. Previous venture investment rounds were led by Ma...
Feb. 1, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,072
In this Women in Technology Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO at MetraTech; Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Strategy Leader at Cisco Systems; Seema Jethani, Director of Product Management at Basho Technologies; Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell Inc.; Anne Hungate, Senior Director of Software Quality at DIRECTV, discussed what path they took to find their spot within the tec...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 2,470
We’re no longer looking to the future for the IoT wave. It’s no longer a distant dream but a reality that has arrived. It’s now time to make sure the industry is in alignment to meet the IoT growing pains – cooperate and collaborate as well as innovate. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine the key ingredients to IoT success and identify solutions to challenges the industry is facing. The deep industry expertise be...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 2,017
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,381
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,799
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 3,276
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,038
Wearable devices have come of age. The primary applications of wearables so far have been "the Quantified Self" or the tracking of one's fitness and health status. We propose the evolution of wearables into social and emotional communication devices. Our BE(tm) sensor uses light to visualize the skin conductance response. Our sensors are very inexpensive and can be massively distributed to audiences or groups of any size, in order to gauge reactions to performances, video, or any kind of present...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,111
IBM has announced a new strategic technology services agreement with Anthem, Inc., a health benefits company in the U.S. IBM has been selected to provide operational services for Anthem's mainframe and data center server and storage infrastructure for the next five years. Among the benefits of the relationship, Anthem has the ability to leverage IBM Cloud solutions that will help increase the ease, availability and speed of adding infrastructure to support new business requirements.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,622
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,729
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,709