|By PR Newswire||
|April 1, 2014 01:52 PM EDT||
WASHINGTON, April 1, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- During the month of April, the Beer Institute will recognize Alcohol Awareness Month and the significant progress being made in reducing drunk driving and underage drinking with the support of major brewers and beer importers.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, drunk-driving fatalities have decreased 51 percent since 1982 and 21 percent over the past five years. Brewers and beer importers are committed to ending this preventable issue, and invest in a host of community-level programs to promote safe rides home, designated drivers and responsible drinking.
Further, the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows record low levels of underage drinking among 12-17 year-olds. The Beer Institute applauded the record lows as evidence that efforts to discourage underage drinking are working, but noted that much more work remains to be done.
"Brewers and beer importers are deeply committed to responsibility. We invest in programs that encourage responsible consumption, and help keep beer out of the hands of underage consumers," said Chris Thorne, Beer Institute Vice President of Communications. "Especially as students look forward to prom and graduation celebrations, we encourage parents to talk with their kids about alcohol use. You have the greatest influence on your child's drinking decisions."
While the historical trends point to record low rates of alcohol misuse, Thorne said that major brewers will continue investing toward the goal of reducing misuse to zero. Most adults who drink do so responsibly. And health research shows that moderate beer consumption is associated with a variety of potential health benefits including stronger bones, decreased risk of heart disease and reduction in stroke occurrence.
"Beer is the one drink with a consistent and customary portion—typically a 12 oz. can or bottle—and more than 90 percent of beer sold is 4.6 percent Alcohol By Volume (ABV) or less. You can't over pour a beer, which makes it the perfect choice for those who choose to moderate their consumption. Consumed responsibly, beer brings people together, and it is no wonder that beer's the top choice at celebrations and occasions across America," Thorne noted.
Specific responsibility efforts being made by brewers and beer importers include:
- More than 30 years ago, Anheuser-Busch launched its first alcohol responsibility campaign, "Know When to Say When." Since 1990, the Anheuser-Busch Family Talk About Drinking program has helped parents talk with their children about underage drinking, and today offers a parent guide on Facebook to help match parenting styles with the cognitive development of children. Through the company's WE I.D. program, Anheuser-Busch and its nationwide network of wholesalers have distributed tools to help hundreds of thousands of retail accounts serve and sell alcohol responsibly, and post signage to remind consumers they will be asked to show a valid I.D. to purchase alcohol. The in-stadium Budweiser/Bud Light Good Sport designated-driver program has been implemented with 98 professional sports teams with in-game messages and promotions to reward and encourage adults 21 and up to pledge to be a designated driver. Through innovative programming, Bud Light continues to bring alcohol responsibility to the forefront. In 2013, the free Bud Light Taxi app launched to help adults connect, with one button, to a local cab company. In January 2014, Bud Light gave away 4,800 safe rides home in 48 hours with the help of a popular ride-sharing service. On September 19, 2014, Anheuser-Busch employees and wholesalers will celebrate the fifth annual Global Be(er) Responsible Day by spending a day out in the trade to encourage adults to designate a driver.
- MillerCoors implements a number of drunk driving prevention programs throughout the year to help their customers get home safely. This includes the Miller Lite and Coors Light Free Rides programs, which have expanded to 16 communities across the country and have provided over 4 million safe rides since the programs' inception. In 2013, MillerCoors partnered with Hailo, the world's highest rated taxi app, to bring $3 million worth of taxi rides to Boston, Chicago and New York over the holiday season. Furthermore, the brewer continues its sponsorship of a national cab dispatch service, 1-800-TAXICAB, that includes a downloadable app, and supports designated driver programs across the country. Through these programs, an online pledge, and advertising, MillerCoors recently surpassed its goal of being 10 Million Strong Against Drunk Driving early and will now work to engage millions more. The brewer is committed to preventing underage drinking and partners with the Responsible Retail Forum to enhance the existing skills of retailers through the Respect 21 program, assisting almost 2,000 retailers in keeping alcohol out of the hands of those under the legal drinking age. MillerCoors also partners with organizations like TEAM Coalition and Health Communications, Inc. to provide training to concessionaires, stadium operations staff and servers. Constellation Brands Beer Division works to include an element of responsible programming in major sponsorships like the U.S. Open of Surfing in Huntington Beach, Calif., which draws over 500,000 spectators, by encouraging consumers to use public transportation to travel around the event and then home safely. Constellation Beer Division also partners with public transportation providers, like the Chicago Transit Authority and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, to offer safe-rides home over Cinco de Mayo and other holiday time periods.
- As the first alcohol company to place a responsibility message on all of its television, radio and print advertising, HEINEKEN USA has had a longstanding commitment to the responsible consumption of its products. In 2013, the company took it a step further by integrating its newly launched Newcastle Cabbie Black Ale with its Taxi Magic partnership, providing thousands of consumers of age with discount codes to get a safe ride home. For its distributors, the company recognizes partners who go above and beyond to promote responsible consumption through its annual 1864 Award for Responsibility. From partnering with local law enforcement to community programs and employee incentives, HEINEKEN USA works with distributors to help elevate responsible consumption everywhere. HEINEKEN USA is also a founding partner of the Health Alliance on Alcohol, a partnership between HEINEKEN USA and renowned hospitals, aimed at reducing underage drinking by offering free downloadable e-books and other resources to parents and mentors to encourage discussions with teens about alcohol.
Government statistics and other research show that these and other programs to prevent alcohol misuse could be paying off:
- Indicators show record low levels of underage drinking among 12-17 year-olds, according to the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Since record keeping began in 2002, past-month drinking is down 27 percent; binge drinking has declined 33 percent; and heavy drinking has dropped 48 percent.
- Another government study, the Monitoring the Future survey of 8th, 10th, and 12th graders' drug and alcohol use, reported that alcohol use and binge drinking continued their long term declines in 2013, reaching their lowest points in the history of the study.
- A 2013 annual survey from the University of California Los Angeles reveals that the percentage of college freshmen who spent 6 or more hours "partying" in a typical week during their senior year of high school reached a new record low. Down 65 percent since 1987, when the question was first asked. The survey also revealed that 35 percent of college freshmen reported drinking beer in 2013, down 53 percent from its peak in 1982 (73.7 percent).
- According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, drunk-driving fatalities have decreased 51 percent since 1982 and 21 percent over the last five years alone.
"Keeping alcohol out of the hands of minors and teaching responsible drinking habits is something that all Americans, not just our brewers and beer importers, should encourage," Thorne concluded. "We will continue working with parents, educators, law enforcement and community groups to promote the safe and legal consumption of beer in communities across the nation."
The Beer Institute is the national trade association for the American brewing industry, representing both large and small brewers, as well as importers and industry suppliers. First founded in 1863 as the U.S. Brewers Association, the Beer Institute is committed today to the development of sound public policy and to the values of civic duty and personal responsibility: www.BeerInstitute.org. Connect with us @BeerInstitute and on Facebook.
SOURCE The Beer Institute
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,173
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,126
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,932
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,372
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,955
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,257
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,227
SYS-CON Media announced today that Aruna Ravichandran, VP of Marketing, Application Performance Management and DevOps at CA Technologies, has joined DevOps Journal’s authors. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. DevOps Journal brings valuable information to DevOps professionals who are transforming the way enterprise IT is done. Aruna's inaugural article "Four Essential Cultural Hacks for DevOps Newbies" discusses how to demonstrate the...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,757
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 20, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,012
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,940
AppZero has announced that its award-winning application migration software is now fully qualified within the Microsoft Azure Certified program. AppZero has undergone extensive technical evaluation with Microsoft Corp., earning its designation as Microsoft Azure Certified. As a result of AppZero's work with Microsoft, customers are able to easily find, purchase and deploy AppZero from the Azure Marketplace. With just a few clicks, users have an Azure-based solution for moving applications to the...
Dec. 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 968
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,291
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,092
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,873