|By Marketwired .||
|April 2, 2014 09:15 AM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 04/02/14 -- Best Doctors, Inc., the global health company that brings together the best minds in medicine to help people get the right diagnosis and treatment plan, today announced that its unique process helped refine diagnoses in 27% of the cases it reviewed, while recommending improvements in treatment plans in 60%. Millions of Canadian employees, about 1 in 5, have access to the variety of Best Doctors® services as an employer-sponsored benefit.
Best Doctors partners with many employers and insurance providers to help address their employees' and policy holders' medical uncertainty through a virtual second opinion process that includes the completion of a detailed clinical intake call, collection of all medical records, and a comprehensive expert review of all clinical information available that includes working with renowned centres of excellence to retest pathology.
Serving over 30 million members worldwide, Best Doctors works with physicians from its database of top experts. Gallup® has certified Best Doctors as using the highest industry standards survey methodology and processes in polling physicians to discover the doctors they would choose for their own care. With current misdiagnosis rates translating into needless suffering and billions of wasted health care dollars annually -- a growing number of large employers and health insurers are choosing the Best Doctors diagnostic accuracy services and offerings.
As part of the Company's mission to ensure that employees get the right diagnosis and treatment plan, Best Doctors issued the following tips to help avoid a misdiagnosis:
1) Don't be shy. Be curious, and insistent. Ask your doctor questions about your diagnosis and treatment. Ask things like, "What else could this be?" Keep asking questions every step of the way until you're satisfied with the answers.
2) Get a second opinion. Focus on telling the doctor all of your symptoms. Don't guide their thinking toward what the first doctor said you have.
3) Know your family medical history. Make sure your doctor knows about it. Studies show your family history may tell you more about what kinds of illnesses you may have or are likely to get than even genetic testing.
4) Take someone with you to doctor visits. It's hard to comprehend difficult medical news and pay attention to all the details at the same time. Bring along a friend or family member to remind you of questions you want to ask, and to help you write down important notes.
5) Have your pathology re-checked. If you had a biopsy and your diagnosis is based on your pathology report, try to get it reviewed again. Pathology is incorrectly interpreted more often than commonly thought. If that interpretation is wrong, your diagnosis -- and your treatment -- are probably going to be wrong, too.
"More and more, employers understand the importance of making sure their employees get the right diagnosis and treatment. In addition to wasted spending, those misdiagnoses lead to unnecessary suffering and tremendous drops in productivity," noted Robin Cooper, Vice President at Best Doctors, Canada. "As employers and insurance providers take a careful look at how their organizations can best provide access to quality care for their employees, they see that Best Doctors provides unprecedented access to the best minds in medicine."
About Best Doctors, Inc.:
Best Doctors works with the best five percent of doctors, ranked by impartial peer review, to help people get the right diagnosis and right treatment. Gallup® has certified Best Doctors as using the highest industry standards survey methodology and processes in polling physicians to discover the doctors they would choose for their own care. Founded in 1989 by Harvard Medical School physicians, the global health solutions company, which has grown to over 30 million members worldwide, uses state-of-the-art processes to deliver improved health outcomes while reducing costs. Best Doctors seamlessly integrates its trusted health services with employers, insurers and other groups in every major region of the world. The company also designs and implements international insurance programs that help people get the right health solutions. For further information, visit Best Doctors at www.bestdoctorscanada.com
To schedule an interview with Best Doctors' Executive Team, contact Justin Joseph at Ph: 617.963.1156 or [email protected].
BEST DOCTORS, the STAR-IN-CROSS logo, and THE REINVENTION OF RIGHT are marks or registered marks of Best Doctors, Inc. Used with permission.
Best Doctors, Inc.