|By PR Newswire||
|April 3, 2014 11:45 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Distracted driving is a significant problem on America's roadways. According to the latest federal data, more than 3,328 were killed people and approximately 421,000 people were injured in crashes involving distracted drivers nationwide in 2012. These numbers are likely under-reported because of the difficulty in determining the role distraction plays in crashes.
To keep drivers safe, states across the country are joining with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's first coordinated national distracted driving enforcement campaign: U Drive. U Text. U Pay, running April 10-15. The full month of April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. While only one state qualified for federal distracted driving funds in 2014 (see funding chart) through the MAP-21 law (Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century), many states are using other limited resources to draw attention to the dangers of distracted driving.
GHSA Executive Director Jonathan Adkins notes, "States recognize that distracted driving is a serious challenge on our roadways. Now that nearly every state bans texting while driving, the focus is on enforcing those laws and reminding the public of the need to focus solely on driving while behind the wheel."
Below are just a few of the many state activities in support of the national campaign:
- California—The California Office of Traffic Safety is coordinating high visibility enforcement operations by the California Highway Patrol and more than 250 law enforcement agencies across the state. Press conferences will emphasize the startling statistics surrounding cell phone use while driving. Message boards highlighting these statistics will be set up in movie theaters and shopping malls, and TV commercials will warn drivers against becoming a distracted driving "zombie."
- Florida—The Florida highway safety office is reminding drivers to "Put it Down" through its statewide campaign. A total of 226 law enforcement agencies are participating in enforcement of the state's recently passed texting ban. Educational efforts include website banners, social media, and a proclamation from the Governor. Digital message boards will remind drivers not to text, and social media will spread awareness. The Orlando Sentinel is teaming up with Ford Driving Skills for Life on a booklet for high school seniors that highlights the dangers of texting while driving.
- Georgia—The Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) is using the U Drive. U Text. U Pay message online and through social media to spread the word about the dangers of texting and driving. In addition, GOHS's paid media will target adults in the 18-34 age range, focusing on women. A statewide earned media campaign will kick off Distracted Driving Awareness Month in advance of the enforcement period. Finally, GOHS staff has signed a pledge to be an example to both the Georgia motoring public and other state agencies that they will follow state law and not text and drive.
- Minnesota—The Minnesota Department of Public Safety/Office of Traffic Safety has stepped up enforcement running April 11-20. Media efforts include press conferences, news release templates for law enforcement, and high school PA announcements. The highway safety office will be live tweeting on April 11 and linking to its teen "body bag" You Tube video on Facebook. The office is also reaching out to diverse communities through African American, Hmong and Latino publications.
- New York—In addition to unveiling new campaign artwork on billboards, the Governor's Traffic Safety Committee (GTSC) is asking its more than 500 state, local and county police agencies to utilize grant funding to conduct high visibility, stepped up enforcement April 10-15, to coincide with NHTSA's campaign. Locals are being asked to work with their media outlets to arrange for press events during that timeframe. GTSC is utilizing its website and social media to alert the public to expect increased enforcement and using "bonus time" in its cable TV grant to air distracted driving messaging on TV and in social media formats. The NYS Thruway and DOT will support the campaign by posting messages on their variable message boards.
- Rhode Island—The Rhode Island Department of Transportation Office on Highway Safety is leveraging social media to remind teens that distracted driving can have deadly results. Specifically, the office is developing a series of YouTube videos featuring local teens, and will be running TV and radio spots the week prior to the enforcement campaign, involving 15 municipal police departments and the Rhode Island State Police (RISP). The highway safety office also is working in partnership with AT&T, the Rhode Island Attorney General and RISP on AT&T's It Can Wait campaign. This year, the campaign has visited more than 12 high schools, earning considerable local and statewide press coverage.
For a full list of state activities, go to www.ghsa.org/html/issues/distraction/april2014.html.
State distracted driving laws are at www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html.
Visit the U.S. DOT's distracted driving website: http://distraction.gov.
For more information on the national campaign, see http://www.nhtsa.gov.
The Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) is a nonprofit association representing the highway safety offices of states, territories, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. GHSA provides leadership and representation for the states and territories to improve traffic safety, influence national policy, enhance program management and promote best practices. Its members are appointed by their Governors to administer federal and state highway safety funds and implement state highway safety plans. Contact GHSA at 202-789-0942 or visit www.ghsa.org. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GHSAhq or follow us on Twitter @GHSAHQ.
SOURCE Governors Highway Safety Association
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business applic...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,455
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquir...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 900
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,042
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,821
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to off...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,397
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the...
Apr. 18, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,980
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ...
Apr. 18, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,398
With IoT exploding, massive data will transform businesses with opportunities to monetize almost anything that can be measured. In this C-Level Roundtable Discussion at @ThingsExpo, Brendan O’Brien, Aria Systems Co-founder and Chief Evangelist, will lead an expert panel of consultants, thought leaders and practitioners who will look at these new monetization trends, discuss the implications, and detail lessons learned from their collective experience. Finally, the panel will point the way forw...
Apr. 18, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,391
How do you securely enable access to your applications in AWS without exposing any attack surfaces? The answer is usually very complicated because application environments morph over time in response to growing requirements from your employee base, your partners and your customers. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Haseeb Budhani, CEO and Co-founder of Soha, will share five common approaches that DevOps teams follow to secure access to applications deployed in AWS, Azure, etc., and the frict...
Apr. 18, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,355
SYS-CON Events announced today that Column Technologies, a global technology solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1998, Column Technologies is a leader in application performance and infrastructure management for commercial and federal markets. The company is headquartered in the United States, with a diverse and talented team of more than 350 employees around th...
Apr. 18, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,501
ProfitBricks has launched its new DevOps Central and REST API, along with support for three multi-cloud libraries and a Python SDK. This, combined with its already existing SOAP API and its new RESTful API, moves ProfitBricks into a position to better serve the DevOps community and provide the ability to automate cloud infrastructure in a multi-cloud world. Following this momentum, ProfitBricks has also introduced several libraries that enable developers to use their favorite language to code ...
Apr. 18, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,276
SYS-CON Media announced today that John Treadway’s blog has exceeded 475,000 page views. John Treadway, Vice President at Cloud Technology Partners, has surpassed 475,000 page views on the SYS-CON family of online magazines, which includes Cloud Computing Journal, Internet of Things Journal, Big Data Journal, Microservices Journal, and several others. His blog home page at SYS-CON can be found at JohnTreadway.SYS-CON.com.
Apr. 18, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,347
SYS-CON Media announced today that Blue Box as launched a popular blog feed on Cloud Computing Journal. Cloud Computing Journal aims to help open the eyes of Enterprise IT professionals to the economics and strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Blue Box Cloud gives you unequaled agility, without the burden of designing, deploying and managing your own infrastructure. It’s the right choice when public cloud just won’t do. Blue Box Cloud is a managed Private Cloud as a Service (...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,241
SOASTA, the leader in performance analytics, today reported record growth of the CloudTest community, exceeding 30,000 registered users of the CloudTest platform in Q1 2015. SOASTA also announced widespread adoption of its Web and mobile testing solutions, with more than 1,600 customers completing more than 285,000 tests using CloudTest during the quarter. This rapid growth shows that DevOps-driven digital businesses are embracing a more continuous approach to testing, and CloudTest is meeting t...
Apr. 18, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 982
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will mee...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,553