|By PR Newswire||
|April 3, 2014 11:45 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Distracted driving is a significant problem on America's roadways. According to the latest federal data, more than 3,328 were killed people and approximately 421,000 people were injured in crashes involving distracted drivers nationwide in 2012. These numbers are likely under-reported because of the difficulty in determining the role distraction plays in crashes.
To keep drivers safe, states across the country are joining with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's first coordinated national distracted driving enforcement campaign: U Drive. U Text. U Pay, running April 10-15. The full month of April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. While only one state qualified for federal distracted driving funds in 2014 (see funding chart) through the MAP-21 law (Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century), many states are using other limited resources to draw attention to the dangers of distracted driving.
GHSA Executive Director Jonathan Adkins notes, "States recognize that distracted driving is a serious challenge on our roadways. Now that nearly every state bans texting while driving, the focus is on enforcing those laws and reminding the public of the need to focus solely on driving while behind the wheel."
Below are just a few of the many state activities in support of the national campaign:
- California—The California Office of Traffic Safety is coordinating high visibility enforcement operations by the California Highway Patrol and more than 250 law enforcement agencies across the state. Press conferences will emphasize the startling statistics surrounding cell phone use while driving. Message boards highlighting these statistics will be set up in movie theaters and shopping malls, and TV commercials will warn drivers against becoming a distracted driving "zombie."
- Florida—The Florida highway safety office is reminding drivers to "Put it Down" through its statewide campaign. A total of 226 law enforcement agencies are participating in enforcement of the state's recently passed texting ban. Educational efforts include website banners, social media, and a proclamation from the Governor. Digital message boards will remind drivers not to text, and social media will spread awareness. The Orlando Sentinel is teaming up with Ford Driving Skills for Life on a booklet for high school seniors that highlights the dangers of texting while driving.
- Georgia—The Georgia Governor's Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) is using the U Drive. U Text. U Pay message online and through social media to spread the word about the dangers of texting and driving. In addition, GOHS's paid media will target adults in the 18-34 age range, focusing on women. A statewide earned media campaign will kick off Distracted Driving Awareness Month in advance of the enforcement period. Finally, GOHS staff has signed a pledge to be an example to both the Georgia motoring public and other state agencies that they will follow state law and not text and drive.
- Minnesota—The Minnesota Department of Public Safety/Office of Traffic Safety has stepped up enforcement running April 11-20. Media efforts include press conferences, news release templates for law enforcement, and high school PA announcements. The highway safety office will be live tweeting on April 11 and linking to its teen "body bag" You Tube video on Facebook. The office is also reaching out to diverse communities through African American, Hmong and Latino publications.
- New York—In addition to unveiling new campaign artwork on billboards, the Governor's Traffic Safety Committee (GTSC) is asking its more than 500 state, local and county police agencies to utilize grant funding to conduct high visibility, stepped up enforcement April 10-15, to coincide with NHTSA's campaign. Locals are being asked to work with their media outlets to arrange for press events during that timeframe. GTSC is utilizing its website and social media to alert the public to expect increased enforcement and using "bonus time" in its cable TV grant to air distracted driving messaging on TV and in social media formats. The NYS Thruway and DOT will support the campaign by posting messages on their variable message boards.
- Rhode Island—The Rhode Island Department of Transportation Office on Highway Safety is leveraging social media to remind teens that distracted driving can have deadly results. Specifically, the office is developing a series of YouTube videos featuring local teens, and will be running TV and radio spots the week prior to the enforcement campaign, involving 15 municipal police departments and the Rhode Island State Police (RISP). The highway safety office also is working in partnership with AT&T, the Rhode Island Attorney General and RISP on AT&T's It Can Wait campaign. This year, the campaign has visited more than 12 high schools, earning considerable local and statewide press coverage.
For a full list of state activities, go to www.ghsa.org/html/issues/distraction/april2014.html.
State distracted driving laws are at www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html.
Visit the U.S. DOT's distracted driving website: http://distraction.gov.
For more information on the national campaign, see http://www.nhtsa.gov.
The Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) is a nonprofit association representing the highway safety offices of states, territories, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. GHSA provides leadership and representation for the states and territories to improve traffic safety, influence national policy, enhance program management and promote best practices. Its members are appointed by their Governors to administer federal and state highway safety funds and implement state highway safety plans. Contact GHSA at 202-789-0942 or visit www.ghsa.org. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GHSAhq or follow us on Twitter @GHSAHQ.
SOURCE Governors Highway Safety Association
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session a...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,192
"Ulunsoft is a start-up that focuses on how enterprises build cloud-based IT infrastructure for business," explained Haibo Zhu, President of Ulunsoft Corp, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,032
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in San...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,263
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 652
As enterprises engage with Big Data technologies to develop applications needed to meet operational demands, new computation fabrics are continually being introduced. To leverage these new innovations, organizations are sacrificing market opportunities to gain expertise in learning new systems. In his session at Big Data Expo, Supreet Oberoi, Vice President of Field Engineering at Concurrent, Inc., discussed how to leverage existing infrastructure and investments and future-proof them against e...
Dec. 17, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,299
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 680
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,239
"Desktop as a Service is emerging as a very big trend. One of the big influencers of this – for Esri – is that we have a large user base that uses virtualization and they are looking at Desktop as a Service right now," explained John Meza, Product Engineer at Esri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,405
Mobile commerce traffic is surpassing desktop, yet less than 20% of sales in the U.S. are mobile commerce sales. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Franklin, Segment Manager, Commerce, at Verizon Digital Media Services, defined mobile devices and discussed how next generation means simplification. It means taking your digital content and turning it into instantly gratifying experiences.
Dec. 17, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 675
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,116
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,086
"Application monitoring and intelligence can smooth the path in a DevOps environment. In a DevOps environment you see constant change. If you are trying to monitor things in a constantly changing environment, you're going to spend a lot of your job fixing your monitoring," explained Todd Rader, Solutions Architect at AppDynamics, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,465
AppDynamics, the application intelligence leader for software-defined businesses, announced the general availability of the AppDynamics Fall '14 Release. Serving the combined needs of IT and business teams across the enterprise, the latest release provides a comprehensive view across all aspects of digital performance in ultra large scale deployments. AppDynamics delivers Application Intelligence by building out advanced capabilities across the key areas of analytics, unified monitoring and D...
Dec. 17, 2014 01:30 PM EST Reads: 640
In addition, Tesora adds the popular enterprise distribution from Mirantis to the Tesora OpenStack Database Certification Program ensuring compatibility with both NoSQL and SQL database management systems on Trove and eliminating the headache of enterprises having to test integration on their own. "We're providing Mirantis customers with the most production-ready OpenStack Trove implementation, saving the work and time necessary to ensure compatibility," said Ken Rugg, CEO of Tesora. "Working...
Dec. 17, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 602
Docker containerization is gaining rapid popularity with Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) developers because of clear benefits such as simplified and continuous app delivery. Enterprise developers also want to leverage Docker for easy provisioning and efficient testing, but IT has unique needs that Docker does not solve out-of-the-box, such as security and access control, supporting heterogeneous infrastructure, apps and app stacks, backup and recovery, visibility and monitoring, and integration. Ho...
Dec. 17, 2014 12:15 PM EST Reads: 656