|By PR Newswire||
|April 7, 2014 08:30 AM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, April 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 2014 NAB Show, Booth #SL8016
- Deluxe Creative Services has deployed DataDirect Networks (DDN) WOS® object storage to address the massive storage and seamless sharing of digital content requirements critical to the filmmaking process, anywhere in the world.
- Faced with exponential data growth and a need to better manage the delivery demands of its feature-film workload, Deluxe sought an improved storage architecture that would relieve pressure on its expensive tier-one SAN, reduce reliance on LTO tape, and scale more easily across its global footprint.
- Following a full and competitive evaluation, Deluxe Creative Services met this challenge by deploying DDN™ WOS global object storage that ensures the maximum performance and data availability needed to meet fast turnarounds and rigorous project demands of the post-production and actively accessed archive workflow from around the globe.
- Deluxe Creative Services, through its respective Company 3, EFILM, Method Studios, and Beast brands, has played an important role in many acclaimed films, including the 2014 Oscar winner for Best Picture, "12 Years a Slave," and other box-office hits, such as "Captain Phillips," "Wolverine" and "Rush."
- A multi-site post-production house with offices in Los Angeles, New York, London, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Vancouver and various other sites, Deluxe Creative Services operates a 24x7 business with remote teams working together to address all aspects of post-production. Ensuring fast turnaround of digital content by automating workflows throughout the post-production lifecycle is key to delivering content whenever and wherever it's needed.
- With one of the largest pools of colorists and visual effects specialists in the industry, Deluxe feature films produce 300-500 TBs of raw camera masters with up to 50 MBs per frame, depending on format – image, color and sound – all of which doubles in size with 3D shows, increasing frame rates and ultra high-definition resolution.
- To meet these rigorous environment demands, DDN delivers an integrated active archive solution for migrating, preserving and accessing billions of files containing rich media content in partnership with ASG Software Solutions, using WOS object storage with ObjectAssure™ erasure coding and ASG-Digital Archiving (ADA). Deluxe benefits from this solution with improved uptime and data availability but with significantly less overhead cost than traditional disk storage platforms.
DDN's 'Pure' Object Architecture Optimized for Geographically Distributed Workforce
- The fully integrated DDN and ASG solution is based on ADA, a High Performance File Archiving Software solution for large data volumes, and WOS distributed object-based storage technology. The WOS-ADA solution leverages ADA archiving and data movement capabilities in conjunction with the WOS high-scale storage capabilities, high performance read/write abilities, efficient disk utilization and geographic replication.
- Upon rethinking its storage architecture, Deluxe is implementing eight WOS nodes with a total of 720 TBs of storage and an ADA archiving platform powered by four data movers; the company expects to scale beyond six petabytes in order to keep pace with ongoing expansion and project demands.
- To deliver storage performance that rivals Deluxe's SAN yet scales globally, DDN architected the WOS solution without an underlying file system. This architecture enables Deluxe Creative Services to achieve performance that matches its tier-one storage yet expands easily across its geographically distributed environment to meet the needs of its remote teams.
- As WOS nodes are deployed around the globe, a boost in productivity is being experienced at each location because finding content now is much easier and requires less effort.
- An additional benefit of WOS is increased data reliability as the platform offers a choice of data protection capabilities through ObjectAssure™, which provides local, replicated and globally distributed erasure coding to safeguard data with very high durability and availability at multiple locations. Since Deluxe teams need to quickly access content and turn content rapidly, having a disaster recovery copy that they can replicate selectively gives the company an active DR site for an extra level of protection and higher workflow efficiency.
Phil Mendelson, CTO of Deluxe Creative Services
- "DDN and ASG offer the best technology in their respective fields, so we're confident our integrated solution will represent the best-of-breed in active archiving and fast data movement. As we roll out the deployment, we'll bring all the elements together in a cohesive ecosystem."
- "We're getting great throughput on our WOS platform. Bandwidth rivals what we get on a tier-one SAN but at a much lower total cost of ownership."
- "We're under a lot of pressure to turn materials around rapidly, so we need maximum uptime and data availability. WOS provides a disaster recovery copy that we can replicate selectively, giving us an active DR site for an extra level of protection."
- We're always expanding, so we expect to see WOS grow to 6 PBS pretty quickly. DDN is helping us build a model that is as effective as SAN storage but far more economical and scalable—I believe object storage is the future of network storage."
- Read the Deluxe case study
- More on DDN WOS Global Object Storage
- Read Gartner's view on DDN WOS
- Read IDC's view on DDN WOS
- Read about DDN and ASG's partnership
- More DDN customers deploy WOS Object Storage
- Follow DDN via Blog, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Follow the #StorageForMedia hashtag to join the storage for media conversation
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Inc. is a global leader in media and entertainment services for film, video and online content, from capture to consumption.
Since 1915, Deluxe has been the trusted partner for the world's most successful Hollywood studios, independent film companies, TV networks, exhibitors, advertisers and others, offering best-in-class solutions in production, post production, distribution, asset and workflow management and new digital solution-based technologies.
With operations in Los Angeles, New York and around the globe, the company employs nearly 6,000 of the most talented, highly honored and recognized artists and industry veterans worldwide. Deluxe is a wholly owned subsidiary of MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings Inc. For more information visit www.bydeluxe.com.
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN and WOS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DataDirect Networks (DDN)
"SOASTA built the concept of cloud testing in 2008. It's grown from rather meager beginnings to where now we are provisioning hundreds of thousands of servers on a daily basis on behalf of customers around the world to test their applications," explained Tom Lounibos, CEO of SOASTA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 28, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,404
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Jan. 28, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 3,923
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, ...
Jan. 27, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,614
“The year of the cloud – we have no idea when it's really happening but we think it's happening now. For those technology providers like Zentera that are helping enterprises move to the cloud - it's been fun to watch," noted Mike Loftus, VP Product Management and Marketing at Zentera Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 27, 2015 10:30 PM EST Reads: 2,009
BMC Software plans to acquire assets of CDB Software, Inc., a mainframe data management company that has developed utilities for managing IBM DB2 databases with virtually no outage. Focusing on the availability of mission-critical applications is strategic for BMC as it continues to help its customers transform IT into a competitive advantage for their business. CDB's technology complements BMC's existing mainframe data management portfolio, which includes software utilities for DB2 administrat...
Jan. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 782
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what th...
Jan. 27, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,946
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. ...
Jan. 27, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,177
"ElasticBox is an enterprise company that makes it very easy for developers and IT ops to collaborate to develop, build and deploy applications on any cloud - private, public or hybrid," stated Monish Sharma, VP of Customer Success at ElasticBox, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,481
Dale Kim is the Director of Industry Solutions at MapR. His background includes a variety of technical and management roles at information technology companies. While his experience includes work with relational databases, much of his career pertains to non-relational data in the areas of search, content management, and NoSQL, and includes senior roles in technical marketing, sales engineering, and support engineering. Dale holds an MBA from Santa Clara University, and a BA in Computer Science f...
Jan. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 3,151
Software AG and Wipro Ltd. have announced a joint solution platform for streaming analytics that provides real-time actionable intelligence for the Internet of Things (IoT) market. “The key to successfully addressing the IoT market is the ability to rapidly build and evolve apps that tap into, analyze and make smart decisions on fast, big data”, said John Bates, Global Head of Industry Solutions and CMO, Software AG. To address the huge market potential created by streaming analytics in conj...
Jan. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 810
The Internet of Things (IoT) is rapidly in the process of breaking from its heretofore relatively obscure enterprise applications (such as plant floor control and supply chain management) and going mainstream into the consumer space. More and more creative folks are interconnecting everyday products such as household items, mobile devices, appliances and cars, and unleashing new and imaginative scenarios. We are seeing a lot of excitement around applications in home automation, personal fitness,...
Jan. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,887
OneCloud Software has launched the OneCloud Partner Program. Responding to demand from prospective partners, the Program offers managed service providers (MSPs) and resellers the resources they need to grow their business with the OneCloud Recovery solution. OneCloud Recovery is an automated solution for disaster recovery/business continuity (DR/BC), which leverages Amazon Web Services as the disaster recovery site. “This is a tremendous opportunity with an innovative hybrid cloud-based DR pro...
Jan. 27, 2015 04:15 PM EST Reads: 605
Cloud Technology Partners on Wednesday announced it has been recognized by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards as one of the Best Amazon Web Services (AWS) Consulting Partners. Selected by the editors of TechTarget's SearchDataCenter.com, and by votes from customers and strategic channel partners, the companies acknowledged by the Modern Infrastructure Impact Awards represent the top providers of cloud consulting services for AWS including application migration, application development, inf...
Jan. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,394
MapR Technologies on Tuesday announced the availability of free Hadoop On-Demand Training for developers, analysts and administrators which represents a $50M in-kind contribution* to the broad Hadoop community. The Hadoop training program is a multi-course curriculum designed to expand worldwide adoption of Hadoop technology. The curriculum provides engaging and interactive video lessons, hands-on exercises, labs and quizzes, enabling professionals to acquire valuable Hadoop skills and knowledge...
Jan. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 533
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 27, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 2,342