|By Business Wire||
|April 8, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
At the 2014 NAB Show, Adobe (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced a major new release of Adobe Primetime, the industry’s most advanced TV delivery and monetization platform for programmers and pay-TV service providers. Primetime 2.0 includes a new cloud ad insertion service that lets customers insert ads into live, linear and on-demand content across any platform, giving them the flexibility and reach to monetize content on any device. Adobe also unveiled Concurrency Monitoring as an extension to the Emmy award-winning Primetime PayTV Pass service allowing customers to manage the number of streams accessed across each device.
Adobe Primetime previews 4K UHDTV at NAB this week. (Photo: Business Wire)
“Primetime has become the leading platform to deliver and monetize TV Everywhere at scale for broadcasters and pay-TV providers,” said Jeremy Helfand, vice president, Primetime, Adobe. “This new release of Primetime takes advantage of the latest industry innovations and introduces new capabilities that drive strong viewer engagement and greater flexibility for monetization.”
Since its launch at NAB in 2013, Primetime has been adopted by major customers worldwide including Comcast, NBC Sports, Turner Broadcasting, Tennis Channel, and M6 RTL Group and has supported massive events such as the Sochi Olympics for NBC Sports. Latest customer wins include Shaw Media and Bell Media in Canada. In the U.S., Major League Baseball (MLB) and WWE have started using Primetime to deliver live and on-demand video content across desktops and XBox 360 gaming consoles.
At the conference this year, Adobe is demonstrating major product innovations, including MPEG-DASH and the new ultra high definition television (UHDTV) standard, which will enable media companies to deliver content across 4K enabled SmartTVs and other IP-connected devices. New capabilities in Adobe Primetime include:
- Cloud ad insertion offers maximum device scale and enables content monetization on any connected device without requiring client code for ad insertion. The technology supports all TV content and is compatible with HLS to deliver any ad to any viewer on any screen. The existing client-side ad insertion capability, which ensures that broadcasters don’t have to tap into large server capacities to reach large audiences, combined with cloud ad insertion, makes Primetime the industry’s only delivery and format agnostic solution for content monetization. It also offers maximum flexibility and scale for companies that sell TV ads across devices. Primetime cloud ad insertion is available today.
- 4K support ensures that Primetime customers can deliver the highest resolution content to the latest set of digital home devices allowing consumers to enjoy stunning viewing experiences. Primetime leverages the latest UHDTV hardware capabilities to ensure fully optimized performance. Support for 4K is being previewed at NAB and is expected to ship in 2014.
- Primetime 2.0 also offers support for the new MPEG-DASH streaming format in its core video engine layer. Support of the new industry standard gives programmers and operators the flexibility to deliver consistent video experiences across devices using their preferred format. MPEG-DASH support will ship by the end of 2014.
- In addition to desktop operating systems, SmartTVs, Android and iOS devices, Primetime 2.0 now supports XBox 360 gaming consoles and Roku devices.
Adobe continues to advance industry partnerships for Primetime. Adobe and thePlatform announced a partnership today to integrate thePlatform’s mpx video management system, including its Player Development Kit (PDK) with Adobe Primetime, across all devices supported by Primetime. This partnership offers seamless integration for joint customers, increasing viewer engagement, and reducing time to market and total cost of ownership. For more info visit www.theplatform.com.
About Adobe Primetime
Adobe Primetime enables programmers and pay-TV service providers to capitalize on the rising consumer interest in watching TV across IP-connected screens. The platform tightly integrates Adobe’s video publishing, player, DRM, advertising and analytics solutions to help eliminate the complexity of reaching audiences across devices. The results are greater revenue from ad sales and subscriptions, lower operating costs, and audiences that are more engaged. Adobe Primetime’s interoperable components can be deployed individually to fit specific infrastructure needs, or deployed as an end-to-end solution to handle the entire broadcast-to-IP workflow.
- Adobe Primetime Blog Post
- Adobe Primetime YouTube Channel
- Follow @AdobePrimetime on Twitter
- Adobe Primetime website
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe is changing the world through digital experiences. For more information, visit www.adobe.com.
© 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved. Adobe and the Adobe logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.