|By PR Newswire||
|April 11, 2014 10:50 AM EDT||
MADISON, Wis., April 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- After such a long, hard winter, a pleasant, sunny spring may be a dream come true for many of us, but it could be a nightmare for allergy sufferers. That's because pollen-producing plants like the same kind of mild, calm weather that most of us do.
Even if we can't predict how bad the pollen will be outside, there are steps you can take to reduce pollen indoors.
Most experts recommend a strategy of avoidance to reduce indoor allergies. The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) suggests that homeowners consider such measures as:
- Covering mattresses and pillows in non-permeable covers
- Removing carpets and curtains from bedrooms
- Having non-allergic members of the household do the vacuuming
- Keeping pets out of the bedroom
- Limiting outdoor activities during days with high pollen counts
- Keeping windows closed (at home or in the car) to keep pollens out
- Take a shower after coming indoors; otherwise, pollen in your hair may bother you all night
An effective strategy to trap airborne pollen and other particles is with the use of a high efficiency air cleaner installed in the home's heating and cooling system. A whole-home solution like the Aprilaire Air Cleaner removes up to 99% of pollen.
To get the most out of air cleaning, Aprilaire offers homeowners an air cleaning control that allows them to actively clean the air in their entire home based on personal preference and event triggers. A simple-to-program thermostat features Event-Based™ Air Cleaning with these settings to allow homeowners to customize cleaning based on their needs:
- Constant Cleaning: Air is cleaned 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Automatic: Cleans for 30 minutes every hour
- Event Clean: Cleans for three continuous hours
- Allergies: Cleans continuously for a 24 hour period
Event-Based Air Cleaning also provides other conveniences such as indicators that air cleaning is taking place as well as maintenance reminders.
As we weather an unusually long allergy season this year, there is hope and help! Maintaining a cleaner home environment as well as the recommendations from AAAAI and other allergy professionals can help sufferers cope with aggravating day to day symptoms.
Aprilaire has been a brand leader in the indoor air quality industry for over 60 years. The company designs, develops, manufactures and distributes whole-home indoor air quality products that provide comfort, health, energy efficiency, and the protection and preservation of the home. Visit www.aprilaire.com to learn more about the benefits of whole-home air cleaners, Event-Based™ Air Cleaning, and total comfort control solutions to air purity, humidity, fresh air and temperature.