|By PR Newswire||
|April 16, 2014 07:45 AM EDT||
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- One year after Congress failed to pass legislation to require comprehensive gun background checks despite near-unanimous public support, mayors, moms, gun violence survivors, law enforcement, gun owners, faith leaders and other Floridians will gather today to launch 'Everytown for Gun Safety,' a new gun violence prevention group. Everytown will ask Americans to join the fight to reduce the gun violence that kills 86 Americans every day and affects every town – big cities and small towns alike.
The event in St. Petersburg is just one of a number of events happening around the country today that will bring together local community leaders to speak out for common-sense gun laws that will reduce gun violence.
Mayors, moms, gun violence survivors, law enforcement, gun owners, faith leaders and other Floridians will gather today to launch 'Everytown for Gun Safety' a new gun violence prevention group
- St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman
- Gulfport Mayor Sam Henderson
- David DeKay is the Interim Chief of Police for St. Petersburg.
- Rev. Dr. Manuel L. Sykes is the President of the NAACP St. Petersburg Florida Branch and Pastor of Bethel Community Baptist Church.
- Lisa Wheeler Brown's son, Cabretti "Brady" Wheeler and his friend, Katie Lynn Ellis, were shot and killed during a music store robbery.
- Chryl Anderson is the Florida Chapter Leader for Moms Demand Action.
- CL Townsend is a responsible gun owner and NRA member.
Today, April 16 at 11:30am EST
St. Petersburg City Hall
175 5th Street North
About Everytown for Gun Safety
Everytown for Gun Safety is a movement of Americans fighting for common-sense policies that will reduce gun violence and save lives. Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than 1.5 million supporters including moms, mayors, survivors, and everyday Americans who are fighting for reforms that respect the Second Amendment and protect people. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, founded in 2006 by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Boston Mayor Tom Menino, and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a grassroots movement of American mothers founded on the day after Newtown. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown
Lindsey Rosenthal, [email protected]
SOURCE Everytown for Gun Safety