|By Marketwired .||
|April 18, 2014 12:52 PM EDT||
WASHINGTON, DC -- (Marketwired) -- 04/18/14 -- The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International has issued its "Top 7 Strategies" for commercial real estate professionals to help make cities green, complementing the 2014 Earth Day "Green Cities Campaign." With the office building industry accounting for nearly 20 percent of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, BOMA has committed to helping its members and the industry as a whole improve energy management and sustainability practices. A key part of the effort is working with local and city officials, tenants and other groups to help make entire communities more sustainable.
"Commercial real estate is an important player in sustainability efforts taking place in cities across the U.S.," commented BOMA International Chair Rich Greninger, CPM, managing director with Carr Properties. "These tips offer property professionals effective operational strategies for reducing energy consumption in their own buildings, while also making 'green' a priority citywide."
Here are the "Top 7 Strategies" to help make cities green this Earth Day, April 22, and every day:
1) Get Connected. Local utility companies often offer demand response and other energy efficiency incentive programs for both residential and commercial buildings. Reach out to local utility companies to find out what incentives and programs are offered in your city and how buildings in your city can benefit.
2) Make a Presentation. Does your building implement great energy management strategies? Contact your local chamber of commerce and offer to share your leadership insight with the business community in your city.
3) Benchmark Energy Performance. Measuring performance is the first step toward improving performance. Benchmark your building's energy and water consumption through EPA's ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager benchmarking tool and encourage the rest of the buildings in your company's portfolio and throughout the city to do the same. Make it a team competition to be the city with the most benchmarked buildings.
4) Support Incentive-Based Energy Legislation. In cities and states across the country there's terrific incentive-based energy legislation that make it more affordable for building owners and management firms to implement energy efficiency retrofits and upgrades. Find out if this type of legislation has passed in your city/state, and be sure to support it if it has. If it doesn't exist, lobby your elected officials to create legislation to incentivize energy efficiency.
5) Host a Recycling Event. Host a community recycling day where tenants and community residents can drop off hard to recycle items such as batteries and LED light bulbs. Don't stop at your building; make it a citywide campaign.
6) Teach Your Tenants Well. Your building management team is well versed in the latest energy management strategies. Terrific. But what about your tenants? Institute a Tenant Energy Awareness Program -- use your company newsletter and/or building announcements to keep tenants informed about energy management goals and offer training, education and tips on low and no-cost energy efficiency strategies.
7) "Green" the Commute. Fewer cars equal greener cities. Get your city on the road to green by offering bicycle storage facilities in your building(s).
BOMA International is the recipient of the 2014 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award for Sustained Excellence. This is the seventh time BOMA has been recognized by the EPA with an ENERGY STAR award and it remains the only commercial real estate association to be recognized with an ENERGY STAR award. In 2009, BOMA International received the Climate Protection Award, the EPA's highest honor.
For more information on BOMA International's green initiatives, as well as more tips and strategies for greening buildings, visit www.boma.org/sustainability.
About BOMA International
The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International is a federation of 93 BOMA U.S. associations and 14 international affiliates. Founded in 1907, BOMA represents the owners and managers of all commercial property types including nearly 10 billion square feet of U.S. office space that supports 3.7 million jobs and contributes $205 billion to the U.S. GDP. Its mission is to advance a vibrant commercial real estate industry through advocacy, influence and knowledge. Learn more at www.boma.org.
Courtney C. McKay
Manager of Communications & Marketing
Phone: (202) 326-6352
E-Mail: [email protected]
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Ope...
Oct. 26, 2014 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,702
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an In...
Oct. 25, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,728
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud...
Oct. 25, 2014 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,852
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, will focus on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,729
StackIQ offers a comprehensive software suite that automates the deployment, provisioning, and management of Big Infrastructure. With StackIQ’s software, you can spin up fully configured big data clusters, quickly and consistently — from bare-metal up to the applications layer — and manage them efficiently. Our software’s modular architecture allows customers to integrate nearly any application wi...
Oct. 25, 2014 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,789
As Platform as a Service (PaaS) matures as a category, developers should have the ability to use the programming language of their choice to build applications and have access to a wide array of services. Bluemix is IBM's open cloud development platform that enables users to easily build cloud-based, creative mobile and web applications without having to spend large amounts of time and resources o...
Oct. 25, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,796
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will nee...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,446
When you set off to build an app that will change the world, designing your system architecture to be reliable and scalable is important but the stark reality is that, for your MVP, you probably had a “need for speed” (of development). You didn’t know what all the axes were to scale your application, where your stress points would be, and what weird and wonderful ways your customers would use it d...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,272
Compute virtualization has been transformational, yet security policy implementation and enforcement has lagged behind in agility and automation. There are a number of key considerations when implementing policy in private and hybrid clouds. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Holland Barry, VP of Technology at Catbird, will discuss the impact of this new paradigm and what organizations can do to...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,548
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, ...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,741