|By PR Newswire||
|April 18, 2014 05:37 PM EDT||
PLEASANTON, Calif., April 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Typically Mother's Day is filled with flowers, smiles, and champagne brunches. But for the millions of women who suffered the loss of their child, Mother's Day is no picnic. Friends and family are often at a loss on how to handle the situation.
Everyone has good intentions and wants to be supportive. But, what is appropriate? And what - even unintentionally - hurts more than helps? Should you send a Mother's Day card? Or let it roll by without mention for fear of doing the wrong thing?
Bereaved mother and author of Butterflies from Heaven, Jennifer Minnite offers concerned friends and family heartfelt advice on what to say to women on Mother's Day who have lost their child:
- Do call her before Mother's Day to send love and support. Often the week before Mother's Day is worse than the day itself.
- Do offer to take her out before Mother's Day for time away. She might be dreading May 11 and welcomes a distraction.
- Do send a Mother's Day card with a loving message that acknowledges her as a mother. Even though she lost her child, she is still a mother.
- Don't ignore Mother's Day for fear of upsetting her. Even if she "can't talk about it", your loving acknowledgment will be felt in her heart.
- Don't feel responsible to make it all better and overdo it. Ask her how she would like to spend Mother's Day. Support her in doing that.
- Don't give advice on how to handle Mother's Day. Her grief journey is a personal process. Sometimes all she needs is a hand to hold.
About Jennifer Minnite
Jennifer Minnite's book Butterflies from Heaven is available in 22 Kaiser Permanente hospital bookstores and online. Social workers, counselors, and teachers powerfully recommend it. She penned Butterflies from Heaven after going through the grief process when her newborn son passed away. A popular and frequent radio guest, Jennifer Minnite is available for interviews in the US and internationally on how to heal the heart again after the death of a child, especially before Mother's Day.
CONTACT: [email protected]
SOURCE Butterflies from Heaven
Dec. 28, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,910
Dec. 28, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 2,710
Dec. 28, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 2,120
Dec. 28, 2014 06:45 PM EST Reads: 505
Dec. 28, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,043
Dec. 28, 2014 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,797
Dec. 28, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 2,291
Dec. 28, 2014 05:00 PM EST Reads: 2,304
Dec. 28, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 2,158
Dec. 28, 2014 03:30 PM EST Reads: 2,616
Dec. 28, 2014 03:00 PM EST Reads: 2,187
Dec. 28, 2014 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,865
Dec. 28, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 1,860
Dec. 28, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,015
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 28, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 2,948