|By PR Newswire||
|April 21, 2014 04:48 PM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, April 21, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- San Rafael-based Alcohol Justice and Studio City-based Writers In Treatment are pleased to announce that there will be no shortage of brilliant short films during the first REEL Recovery Film Festival – San Francisco Bay Area Edition - April 24-27, 2014.
"Our recovery short films are potent little vignettes and powerful stories," said Leonard Buschel, founder of Writers In Treatment and the REEL Recovery Film Festival, "I love what Ingmar Bergman said, 'No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of our soul.' These films are as powerful as an O'Henry, Singer or Salinger short story."
Thursday April 24, 2014, 8 p.m.
- The Price of Life (2014) 2 min. You're not alone.
- Serenity Prayer (2014) 4 min. To save his relationship with his son, an alcoholic journeys from addiction to sobriety, inspired by the words of the Serenity Prayer. Dirs. Alex Miranda, Matthew Roth
- Preview/Compilation (2013) 9 min. A look back at REEL Recovery Films from 2013 by Writers In Treatment
Friday April 25, 2014, 4 p.m.
- Challenging Alcohol Marketing to Youth (3 min) - Alcohol is the #1 drug of choice for young people in the USA. Alcohol Justice CHALLENGES global alcohol corporations and their marketing aimed at young people.
- Alcohol Ads + Sports = Bad ROI for Public Health & Safety (13 min) TV sporting events are saturated with beer ads, sponsorship, and celebrity endorsements which are a proven factor in encouraging underage consumption and general misuse of alcohol.
- Free The Bowl® / Free Our Sports® (24 min) This short documentary looks at the creation of the Free The Bowl® and Free Our Sports® youth video contests by Alcohol Justice. Since 2009, over 150 counter beer ads have been produced and entered by young people from across the country. They are protesting the exploitation they feel as targets of alcohol producers who use sports to influence underage drinking.
- Lower Illegal BAC Limit to .05 (4 min) Impaired driving begins with drink #1. Alcohol Justice joined the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in calling for a reduction in the illegal blood alcohol concentration (BAC) per se limit from .08 to .05 or lower in the U.S. to save lives and prevent injuries.
Saturday April 26, 2014, 1:30 p.m.
- Brightwood (2012) 19 min. Drug addicts can just as easily be your "perfect" family next door. Directed by Gabriel Gonda.
- Conversation with Lucifer (2011) 20 min. Recovering addict Darby Quinn goes through the early stages of sobriety. Directed by Cody Boesen.
- Dear Daddy (2013) 8 min. Follow young Emma Walek and her dog through a journey of love, passion and heartache. Directed by Sandra Capra.
- Hiding Games (2012) 13 min. A girl learns to cope with her mother's meth addiction in rural Appalachia. Directed by Michael Wright.
- Sober (2013) 9 min. Marta McGonagle causes a drunk driving crash that paralyzes her sister. She hopes this film will prevent others from making her mistake. Directed by Marta McGonagle.
- Sober Since (2010) 5 min. An alcoholic father struggles to clean up his act after his 13 year-old daughter is molested by a family friend. Directed by Royce Issac.
- Within (2012) 20 min. A self-destructive writer, guided by a guardian angel, discovers the love and strength to survive. Directed by Alex Lane.
- Successful Alcoholics (2010) 26 min. Follows a couple whose "casual drinking" extends to all hours of the day. But unlike most problem drinkers, their professional and personal lives appear to not be harmed by boozing 24/7. Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts.
Sunday April 27, 2014, 5:20 p.m.
Mad Dance - Mental Health Trilogy: (85 min) Three poetic and transformative shorts offer new maps for navigating madness with insight, healing and hope.
- Crooked Beauty (34 min) - Artist-activist Jack McNamara's transformative journey from childhood abuse to psych ward inpatient to pioneering mental health advocacy.
- For Shadows (26 min) - A contemplative, multi-layered memoir that unravels the tangled roots of self-harm while coming to terms with one's shadow.
- Light, In! (12 min) - A haunting, visual essay about the awkward and angry junctures where our culture struggles to manage its emotional distress.
Director Ken Paul Rosenthal present for Q & A.
"It's very exciting to shine the spotlight on these short films," stated Michael Scippa, Director of Public Affairs for Alcohol Justice. "There is nothing little about the way they portray extremely sensitive subjects with filmmaking that is truly enlightened."
The goal of the REEL Recovery Film Festival is to highlight the disease as well as the hope and opportunity for recovery. For more information about the festival, purchase tickets, and view a PSA featuring Michael Pritchard go to: FilmFestSFBay.org
"The ticket price for most of the sessions is just $5," added Scippa, "But if there are seats available we'll allow anyone admittance regardless of their ability to pay." Tickets are available exclusively through BrownPaperTickets.com
Sponsors of the REEL Recovery Film Festival San Francisco Bay Area edition currently include Wells Fargo Bank, Duffy's Napa Valley Rehab, Center Point Inc., Kaiser Permanente Marin/Sonoma Area, Reflections, Recovery Station TV Series, Salesforce.com Foundation, KRON-TV, The Michael Basso Foundation, Muir Wood Adolescent and Family Services, The Newport Academy, ConocoPhillips, San Francisco Fire Fighters Local 798, County of Marin Division of Mental Health and Substance Use Services, Caron Treatment Centers, SF Weekly/Bay Guardian, The Pacific Sun and numerous individuals.
Contact: Michael Scippa 415 548-0492
Jorge Castillo 415 840-3336
SOURCE Alcohol Justice
In a world of ever-accelerating business cycles and fast-changing client expectations, the cloud increasingly serves as a growth engine and a path to new business models. Dynamic clouds enable businesses to continuously reinvent themselves, adapting their business processes, their service and software delivery and their operations to achieve speed-to-market and quick response to customer feedback. As the cloud evolves, the industry has multiple competing cloud technologies, offering on-premises ...
May. 25, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,907
The 5th International DevOps Summit, co-located with 17th International Cloud Expo – being held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the...
May. 25, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,906
As the world moves from DevOps to NoOps, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. However, applications have been architected with a much tighter coupling than it needs to be which makes deployment in different environments and migration between them harder. The microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, Netflix and so on is at the heart of CloudFoundry – a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,520
In high-production environments where release cycles are measured in hours or minutes — not days or weeks — there's little room for mistakes and no room for confusion. Everyone has to understand what's happening, in real time, and have the means to do whatever is necessary to keep applications up and running optimally. DevOps is a high-stakes world, but done well, it delivers the agility and performance to significantly impact business competitiveness.
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,796
The OpenStack cloud operating system includes Trove, a database abstraction layer. Rather than applications connecting directly to a specific type of database, they connect to Trove, which in turn connects to one or more specific databases. One target database is Postgres Plus Cloud Database, which includes its own RESTful API. Trove was originally developed around MySQL, whose interfaces are significantly less complicated than those of the Postgres cloud database. In his session at 16th Cloud...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 997
Over the years, a variety of methodologies have emerged in order to overcome the challenges related to project constraints. The successful use of each methodology seems highly context-dependent. However, communication seems to be the common denominator of the many challenges that project management methodologies intend to resolve. In this respect, Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) can be viewed as powerful tools for managing projects. Few research papers have focused on the way...
May. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,645
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
May. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,412
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
May. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,980
The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential. The DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo – to be held June 3-5, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City – will expand the DevOps community, enable a wide...
May. 25, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,755
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect...
May. 25, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,119
There is no question that the cloud is where businesses want to host data. Until recently hypervisor virtualization was the most widely used method in cloud computing. Recently virtual containers have been gaining in popularity, and for good reason. In the debate between virtual machines and containers, the latter have been seen as the new kid on the block – and like other emerging technology have had some initial shortcomings. However, the container space has evolved drastically since coming on...
May. 25, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,076
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
May. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,673
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding bu...
May. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,121
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to DevOps Summit 2015 as Conference Chair. The 4th International DevOps Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great team at ...
May. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,484
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enter...
May. 25, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,783