|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- Executives in the fashion and luxury industries are very concerned about finding, developing, and retaining the talented professionals they need to compete today. That is the stark conclusion of The Race for Talent: Fashion and Luxury's Greatest Challenge for the Next Decade, a new State of the Industry report published today by The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and The Business of Fashion.
"One of the biggest challenges facing luxury and fashion companies today is finding, developing, and retaining great creative and business talent," says Jean-Marc Bellaïche, a partner at BCG. Sarah Willersdorf, a principal at BCG, agrees.
Drawing on extensive research by BCG and The Business of Fashion, the report finds that 50 percent of respondents lack access to the best creative talent. And executives are not only concerned about creative roles; they are also anxious to acquire the skills needed to support a wide range of functions.
Although it's encouraging that industry leaders realize they must do more to attract and hold on to skilled employees, it is worrying to learn what's still needed to improve employer branding. Fully 40 percent of those polled admit that they still have no systematic approaches for developing an employer value proposition. Yet many have clearly invested energy and resources to build powerful consumer brands.
It's also clear that there is far to go before fashion and luxury companies tap the full potential of today's digital tools. As many as 62 percent of those polled said that their organizations do not actively use online and social forums for recruiting purposes.
Perhaps most worrying of all: companies do not put adequate emphasis on maintaining a strong talent pipeline and succession pool for their top executives. The study found that 60 percent admitted to substandard performance in this area. This weakness appears to affect large companies as much as it does small independent organizations.
Recruiting challenges exist across the entire spectrum of roles:
- Design and Product. Top-notch creative directors are scarce; nearly 70 percent of survey respondents said that these professionals are "impossible" or "very difficult" to find. Technical design is another underserved area: 42 percent said that pattern makers are in very short supply.
- Technology and Digital. It is hard to hire database managers, Web developers, and technical managers -- roles that, in a digital era, could make a big difference to a company's effectiveness. A third of the companies surveyed find it "impossible" or "very difficult" to hire an e-commerce manager.
- Business and General Management. It is becoming more difficult to find chief executives and general managers who combine analytical and creative skills; retail, product, and brand expertise; and international experience.
- Employer Branding. The study underscores the fact that too few companies invest enough effort in employer branding. It's something of a paradox because most of the industries' players appear to believe that substantial commitments of time, money, and resources to the branding of their offerings will create a bright halo effect that will serve to attract and retain great talent.
- Digital Channels. The fashion and luxury industries are still heavily dependent on headhunters and recruiters, with about 40 percent of all new hires sourced via those channels. Companies must pursue digital and social channels much more eagerly.
The report confirms that companies must launch active initiatives in five areas:
- Invest in an employer brand. An employer brand must be built and nurtured as carefully as any product brand. Every company has to find ways to tell its story and be clear about what differentiates it from others as an employer. Then the company must take those stories and messages out to current employees and potential candidates through the right channels -- and keep doing so.
- Consider strategic workforce planning. This rigorous, systematic approach to talent defines the capabilities that a business needs to succeed in the context of its strategic objectives. It also maps the current availability of the required capabilities. By comparing the data for demand and supply, companies can then quickly see where their most crucial talent gaps lie.
- Reinforce the use of digital and social media to source the best candidates. To create a portrait of the company that will help bolster its employer brand, companies should use all digital channels and platforms -- from Google+ and Pinterest networks to targeted e-mail programs. To augment their recruiting strategies, companies must increasingly reach out through their websites, job forums, and social media.
- Get to know the schools (personally). Companies can get closer to pools of fresh talent by forging closer relationships with educational institutions.
- Focus on identifying and building tomorrow's leaders. Companies need to identify both prospects and current employees who combine creative know-how with business acumen and then develop customized programs to hire, develop, and retain them.
The full findings of the report will be available by early June.
To arrange an interview with one of the authors, please contact Eric Gregoire at +1 617 850 3783 or [email protected].
About The Boston Consulting Group
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a global management consulting firm and the world's leading advisor on business strategy. We partner with clients from the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors in all regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their enterprises. Our customized approach combines deep insight into the dynamics of companies and markets with close collaboration at all levels of the client organization. This ensures that our clients achieve sustainable competitive advantage, build more capable organizations, and secure lasting results. Founded in 1963, BCG is a private company with 81 offices in 45 countries. For more information, please visit bcg.com.
Bcgperspectives.com features the latest thinking from BCG experts as well as from CEOs, academics, and other leaders. It covers issues at the top of senior management's agenda. It also provides unprecedented access to BCG's extensive archive of thought leadership stretching back 50 years to the days of Bruce Henderson, the firm's founder and one of the architects of modern management consulting. All of our content -- including videos, podcasts, commentaries, and reports -- can be accessed by PC, mobile, iPad, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
The Boston Consulting Group
Global Media Relations Manager
Tel +1 617 850 3783
Fax +1 617 850 3701
DevOps approaches within “Unicorns” vary significantly from the reality of DevOps in the enterprise. Most enterprises manage portfolios of heterogeneous applications that are increasingly interconnected, delivered by global teams, at various stages of technology maturity, and are often encumbered by additional compliance and governance obligations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Dalibor Siroky, Director and co-founder at Plutora, will discuss the emerging and evolving experiences of Agile, Co...
May. 6, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 674
Artifactory binary repository management system. As one of the most widely used binary repositories and the only repository that offers a high availability clustered solution, the integration with Artifactory helps customers easily adopt CA Release Automation to optimize their entire software development lifecycle. “Artifactory is a standard maker at the continuous-integration domain and provides the user a powerful repository experience with the freedom to choose his own tools set and ecosyste...
May. 6, 2015 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 719
Zerto has announced the general availability of Zerto Virtual Replication 4.0 (ZVR 4.0). The company’s enterprise-class business continuity/disaster recovery (BC/DR) software is the first to protect, replicate, and migrate data between VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisors, as well as across private, hybrid and public cloud environments including Amazon Web Services (AWS). ZVR 4.0 also allows channel partners and cloud service providers to expand their offerings to grow revenues by pr...
May. 6, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 710
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading in...
May. 6, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 969
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
May. 6, 2015 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,750
DevOps Summit, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developmen...
May. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,085
While Docker continues to be the darling of startups, enterprises and IT innovators around the world, networking continues to be a real mess. Indeed, managing the interaction between Docker containers and networks has always been fraught with complications. Without automation in networking, the vision of running Docker at scale and letting IT run the same apps unchanged on the laptop and in the data center or for any cloud cannot be realized.
May. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,031
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises a...
May. 6, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 859
Why does developer experience matters, what makes for a great developer experience and what is the relationship between developer experience and the broader field of user experience? Software developers are gaining more influence over the purchase decisions of technologies with which they must build on and with which they must integrate. For example, the success of Amazon Web Services, Heroku and MongoDB has been driven primarily by individual software developers choosing to use these tools, ra...
May. 6, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 702
Enterprise IoT is an exciting and chaotic space with a lot of potential to transform how the enterprise resources are managed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Hari Srinivasan, Sr Product Manager at Cisco, will describe the challenges in enabling mass adoption of IoT, and share perspectives and insights on architectures/standards/protocols that are necessary to build a healthy ecosystem and lay the foundation to for a wide variety of exciting IoT use cases in the years to come.
May. 6, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,303
SYS-CON Events announced today Isomorphic Software, the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Isomorphic Software is the global leader in high-end, web-based business applications. We develop, market, and support the SmartClient & Smart GWT HTML5/Ajax platform, combining the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software ...
May. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 956
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around...
May. 6, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,073
Docker is becoming very popular--we are seeing every major private and public cloud vendor racing to adopt it. It promises portability and interoperability, and is quickly becoming the currency of the Cloud. In his session at DevOps Summit, Bart Copeland, CEO of ActiveState, discussed why Docker is so important to the future of the cloud, but will also take a step back and show that Docker is actually only one piece of the puzzle. Copeland will outline the bigger picture of where Docker fits a...
May. 6, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,388
This talk focuses on the application of DevOps fundamentals to include network infrastructure. It draws from real deployment case studies on the extension of today's paradigms to address the challenges of the network infrastructures' ability to seamlessly and cohesively integrate into agile workflows. In this session at DevOps Summit, Arista Networks will focus on configuration management using automation with a nod to future work necessary to include telemetry and ephemeral state information....
May. 6, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,283
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
May. 6, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,894