|By Marketwired .||
|April 29, 2014 01:05 PM EDT||
REDWOOD SHORES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/29/14 -- Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Oracle today introduced Oracle Solaris 11.2, a modern cloud platform that melds efficient virtualization, application-driven software-defined networking (SDN) technology and a full OpenStack distribution. This powerful combination of an enterprise-class operating system and other components creates a highly efficient, compliant, secure, open and affordable software platform for cloud computing. With deep integration among Oracle Database, Java and Oracle Applications, businesses can use Oracle Solaris 11.2 to deliver the most reliable, high-performance, efficient and secure IT services and accelerate time-to-market for new deployments. Oracle Solaris is an important component of Oracle's Systems business.
Oracle President Mark Hurd and Executive Vice President John Fowler will discuss the new release at an event in New York City today. Join the live Webcast at 1:00 p.m. ET.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 is a complete, integrated and open platform engineered for large-scale enterprise cloud environments. It combines OpenStack, SDN technology, clustering, and virtualization with a proven enterprise-class OS, all in a single product.
- Customers can simplify their IT infrastructure and deliver reliable, high-performance, efficient, compliant and secure cloud services to their end customers at low cost.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 incorporates a complete OpenStack distribution, bringing OpenStack functionality to Oracle Solaris environments and managing other hypervisors and infrastructure in the data center.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 allows IT organizations to now deliver services from "zero to cloud" in minutes rather than weeks, with enterprise-grade reliability, security, and performance.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 features simpler, faster lifecycle management capabilities than previous releases. For example, one customer reported 16x higher administrator productivity with Oracle Solaris compared to Red Hat.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 offers an integrated hypervisor on both SPARC and x86 for zero-overhead-virtualization, in addition to its current Solaris Zones capabilities.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 introduces application-driven Software Defined Networking that integrates with Oracle Java, Oracle Database and Oracle Applications in order to deliver application-level quality of service.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 is the latest in a series of innovations from Oracle's growing Systems business designed to enable customers to become more agile and reduce cost by simplifying their IT using Oracle hardware and software engineered together. Thousands of customers worldwide are running Oracle Solaris 11 on Oracle servers and Engineered Systems today.
- Together with SPARC servers, Oracle Solaris continues to excel with new performance records with Java, Oracle Database and in virtualized environments.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 provides investment protection with binary compatibility that has allowed customers to run their existing apps over multiple generations of Oracle Solaris.
- Customers can seamlessly upgrade to Oracle Solaris 11.2 within minutes and take full advantage of the new cloud capabilities.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 is engineered to deliver record-breaking performance and efficiency when deployed with Oracle ZFS Storage Appliances.
- Oracle Solaris 11.2 Beta is now available for download via Oracle Technology Network (OTN).
- "Oracle's relentless innovation offers customers the strongest cloud product portfolio in the industry. By engineering the OS, the virtualization, SDN and OpenStack together, Oracle Solaris 11.2 provides a complete cloud solution," said John Fowler, executive vice president, Systems, Oracle. "It's a complete platform for simple, efficient, secure, compliant and open enterprise cloud deployments that can help customers accelerate their businesses and capitalize on the potential of cloud computing while reducing cost."
- "Cloud computing is creating an entirely new set of expectations for enterprise-class infrastructure software," said Al Gillen, Program VP, Servers and System Software, IDC. "Where once offering the piece parts -- the OS, virtualization and networking -- was a sufficient starting point, having an integrated solution is becoming more of the expectation for enterprise customers looking to build a private cloud. With Oracle Solaris 11.2, Oracle offers an enterprise-ready solution that includes OpenStack based management, and makes enterprise cloud deployments easier and more affordable."
- What Partners Are Saying About Oracle Solaris 11.2
- Register for the Oracle Solaris 11.2 Launch Webcast
- Download: Oracle Solaris 11.2 Beta
- Oracle Solaris
- Oracle Solaris on OTN
- Register for the Oracle Solaris 11.2 Launch Webcast
- Oracle Solaris Blog
- Connect with Oracle Solaris via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE: ORCL), visit www.oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2578425
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, focused on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud platfo...
Dec. 26, 2014 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,396
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 26, 2014 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,824
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the ...
Dec. 25, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,784
This builds on Puppet Labs' first class Windows support, including native .MSI packages for x32 and x64 operating systems, modules to extend common Windows server management tools, including Powershell, and integrations with Microsoft Azure and Visual Studio. By automating common Windows administration tasks, Puppet Labs is enabling users to adopt DevOps practices, thereby reducing the time needed to deploy applications from weeks to hours.
Dec. 25, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,068
Dec. 25, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,459
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Dec. 25, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,831
"SAP had made a big transition into the cloud as we believe it has significant value for our customers, drives innovation and is easy to consume. When you look at the SAP portfolio, SAP HANA is the underlying platform and it powers all of our platforms and all of our analytics," explained Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce at SAP, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 25, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,735
SAP is delivering break-through innovation combined with fantastic user experience powered by the market-leading in-memory technology, SAP HANA. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Thorsten Leiduck, VP ISVs & Digital Commerce, SAP, discussed how SAP and partners provide cloud and hybrid cloud solutions as well as real-time Big Data offerings that help companies of all sizes and industries run better. SAP launched an application challenge to award the most innovative SAP HANA and SAP HANA...
Dec. 25, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,969
There's Big Data, then there's really Big Data from the Internet of Things. IoT is evolving to include many data possibilities like new types of event, log and network data. The volumes are enormous, generating tens of billions of logs per day, which raise data challenges. Early IoT deployments are relying heavily on both the cloud and managed service providers to navigate these challenges. In her session at Big Data Expo®, Hannah Smalltree, Director at Treasure Data, discussed how IoT, Big D...
Dec. 25, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,200
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, examined three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective ...
Dec. 25, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,883
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using ...
Dec. 25, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,046
Dec. 25, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 1,656
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Ar...
Dec. 25, 2014 10:15 AM EST Reads: 2,242
The term culture has had a polarizing effect among DevOps supporters. Some propose that culture change is critical for success with DevOps, but are remiss to define culture. Some talk about a DevOps culture but then reference activities that could lead to culture change and there are those that talk about culture change as a set of behaviors that need to be adopted by those in IT. There is no question that businesses successful in adopting a DevOps mindset have seen departmental culture change, ...
Dec. 25, 2014 09:45 AM EST Reads: 1,568
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 25, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 7,109