|By Business Wire||
|May 5, 2014 03:00 AM EDT||
American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS), the leading designer and manufacturer of open platform operator interfaces, touchscreens and panel PCs, announces its HMI design for manufacturability services for the new IEC 62368-1 hazard-based standard that will replace both IEC 60065 (Safety of AV Equipment) and IEC 60950-1 (Safety of Information & Communication Technology Equipment). The IEC 62368-1 Second Edition CB Certificates and Standards represent a major change or shift in focus in how the standards are being developed. The traditional prescriptive standards focuses on establishing a set of written rules to be followed, whereas the new hazards-based standard is focused on identifying safety hazards in the early product development phase and designing the product to eliminate them – and providing more performance options to demonstrate compliance to the standards. These new hazards-based testing methods require a more comprehensive and holistic approach to Design for Manufacturability, in which AIS already has tremendous expertise, in-house capabilities and services for over the past decade.
IEC EN UL CSA 62368-1 Hazard Based Safety Standard, Human Machine Interface (HMI) Operator Interfaces and Panel PCs (Photo: Business Wire)
In the next five years, the predominant approach to safety engineering will significant shift from prescriptive rules to a new hazard-based concept, with more performance-based options. The new hazards-based standard is expected to be advantageous for AIS who designs, engineers and manufacturers highly advanced, reliable and safe open-based platform PC-based HMIs for their customers. Their Design for Manufacturability Services (DMS) and capabilities for open platform HMIs are focused on hazard-based principles, which are more performance-based requirements (vs. prescriptive) and their ability to better consider and incorporate innovative HMI and visualization systems design and construction.
IEC 62368-1 and Standards Will Affect Compliance, Certification & Standards Testing for HMI Manufacturers
In the ever-changing world of digital technology, safety standards for high-tech products are constantly being updated or developed to reflect new changes. Manufacturers need to transition their approach and stay abreast of ongoing developments of both the current standards (60065 & 60950) and IEC & UL/CSA 62368-1, the alternative to those traditional safety standards. As a leader in operation, control, monitoring and visualization technologies, standards and compliance testing are critical components to AIS’s overall new product development process. AIS is addressing these new standards requirements by now testing to meet IEC 62368-1 Safety Standards and Certifications for Information & Communication Technology Equipment.
The IEC 62368-1 – Audio/Video, Information and Communication Technology Equipment – Safety Requirements – has been an IEC standard since early 2010. The new approach, based on Hazard-Based Safety Engineering (HBSE), has the added benefit of better facilitating the introduction of new and innovative methods of construction and technology without first requiring amendment of the relevant standards to accommodate it. The new standards cover a wide range of high-tech products, including: computing and networking products, consumer electronics, displays and display units, telecommunication products, office appliances, musical instruments and similar varieties of audio/video, information and communication technology equipment.
AIS’s Open Platform HMI Product Development Teams Focus on Testing & Meeting Changing Standards, Certifications & Compliance Requirements
Human machine interfaces (HMIs) have always played a critical role in enabling plant operators to monitor and perform critical control actions in an operational context as well as facilitating advanced visualization into supervisory and enterprise-level solutions. In order to design and manufacturer highly-reliable HMI systems that deliver safe, cost-effective and intuitive performance, the AIS DMS team relies on the application of engineering best practices throughout design, testing and quality assurance processes.
AIS foresee several trends in manufacturing plants and industrial facilities to change business. Internet-based (TCP/IP-enabled) technologies will continue to drive how HMIs are designed, engineered and manufactured in the future. With increasing product liabilities, standards, certifications and compliance, there will be a strong push for open-based HMI control and monitoring equipment that provide higher quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, and above all else, higher safety requirements. The process industry and applications such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals and utilities and discrete manufacturing applications (such as general manufacturing, automotive, metals manufacturing, packaging, aerospace and defense, electronics and semiconductors and machine tools) are also factors in AIS’s product portfolio roadmap in the coming years.
AIS HMI Control and Monitoring Solutions Meet Future Expectations & Demands
AIS realizes user expectations of HMI capabilities are continuously changing. Some of the key shifts impacting the operating and monitoring functions in the industrial space, and how AIS is already meeting these demands with their product portfolio include the following:
Increased Demand for Comprehensive Certifications and Compliances
- cUL, cUL and IECEE CB Listed to Safety Standards and Certifications for Information & Communication Technology Equipment: UL 62368-1, CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 62368-1 and EN 62368-1
- UL, cUL and IECEE CB Listed to Safety Standards and Certifications for Measurement, Control, and Laboratory Electrical Equipment: UL 61010-1, UL 61010-2-201, CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO. 61010-1-12 and EN 61010-1
- UL and cUL Listed to Safety Standards: ANSI/ISA 12.12.01, 2012, Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class 1, Division 2 Groups A, B, C, D Hazardous (Classified) Locations and CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 213-M1987 for Use in Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Locations
- CE Ex Marked to Safety Standards: Explosive Atmospheres (ATEX)-Directive 2014/34/EU-Complying with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements that relate to the design of Zone 2 Category 3 Electrical Equipment, certified to ATEX Protection Classes- “CE Ex mark” II 3 G Ex nA ic IIA T4
- CE Marked to Safety Standards and Certifications for Information And Communication Technology Equipment: 2014/35/EU, EN 62368-1:2013
- Compliance with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements has been assured by Compliance with IEC 60079-0, IEC 60079-11, and IEC 60079-15
- Electromagnetic Emissions (EMC) Standards and Certifications: EU Directive 2014/30/EU, IEC EN 61000-3-3:2013, IEC EN 61000-6-4:2007/A1:2011, IEC EN 61000-4-11:2004, IEC EN 61000-4-3:2006+A1:2007+A2:2010, FCC 47 CFR Part 15 Class B, IECS-003 Class B, CISPR 22 Class B
- Electromagnetic Immunity (EMI) Standards and Certifications: EU Directive 2014/30/EU, IEC EN 61000-4-2:2009, IEC EN 61000-4-4:2012, IEC EN 61000-4-5:2006, IEC EN 61000-4-6:2014
- Environmental Standards and Certifications: 2011/65/EU (RoHS 2) and 2012/19/EU (WEEE)
- Compliance with the Shock and Vibration Requirements has been assured by Compliance with EN 60068-2-27:2009 and EN 60068-2-64:2008
- Compliance with the Chemical Resistance and Hygienic Equipment Requirements has been assured by Compliance with AISI 316L DIN 1.4435 and EN 1672-2:2005+A1:2009
- Compliance with the IP66 Degrees of Protection has been assured by Compliance with EN 60529
- Design with Risk Assessment of Machinery, Safety of Machinery and Safety Functions of Control Systems Requirements has been assured by Compliance with IEC ISO AWI 17305 and ISO TR 23849:2010 (EN ISO 12100, IEC EN 60204-1, IEC EN 61508, EN ISO 13849, IEC EN 62061)
Increased Demand for High Performance HMI Processor, Graphic, Memory and Power
- 4th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-4650U processor with 4M cache, up to 3.30 GHz (Premium)
- High performance quad-core, Intel® Atom™ Processor E3845, 2M Cache, 1.91 GHz (Standard)
- High performance quad-core, Intel® Celeron® Processor N2920, 2M Cache, 1.86 GHz (Mobile)
- Intel HD Graphics supports DirectX 11.1, OpenCL/GL, and 4K videos Quick Sync encoder
- High memory bandwidth with DDR3L-1333/1600 (25.6 GB/s, up to 16 GB)
- 12 V to 24 V DC wide input-voltage range power supply (Premium and Standard)
- Hot-swappable Battery with 5300mAh or 10600mAh (Mobile)
Increased Demand for High Availability HMI Communication and Storage
- High speed USB 3.0 port for data transfer (4.8 Gbps), speeds up to 10x faster than 2.0
- High flexibility serial communication with multiple RS-232/422/485 I/O ports
- High reliability power and I/O ports with isolation protection
- High availability uplinks with 1 + 1 redundancy Gigabit Ethernet ports
- High availability data storage with 1 + 1 redundancy SSDs
Increased Demand for High Reliability HMI Touch Screen
- Surface durability zero-bezel: Touch screens meets pencil hardness 4H per ASTM D3363
- Touch screen input methods: Finger, gloved hand, or stylus activation
- Touch screen positional accuracy standard deviation error is less than 0.080 (2mm)
- Touch activation force typically less than 4 ounces (113 grams)
- High reliability LED backlight lifetime with 70K to 80K hours (half brightness)
Increased Demand for Rugged and Maintenance-Free
- Highly modular design with field-replaceable front panel and box PC modules
- Stainless steel bezel with IP66 sealing and chemical resistant surfaces
- Reduces installation time with removable HDD enclosure and easily accessible PCIe slot
- Highly robust design eliminates all moving parts by combining SSD and fan-less operation
- 0˚C to 50˚C (32˚F to 122˚F) wide operating temperature range (Premium and Standard models)
- -20 to 60°C (-4 to 140° F) wide operating temperature range (Mobile)
Increased Demand for Comprehensive Operating System Software & Services
- Offering complete software design, coding, testing, and documentation services
- System drivers, BIOS, and embedded firmware software design
- Supports Windows Standard 7 Embedded 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- Supports Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry, Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro and Windows Embedded 8 Standard
- Supports Linux and Android
Headquartered in Irvine, California, USA, American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS) offers in-house electronic and mechanical design, software development, Manufacturing, Production and Quality Control Services. Offering one of the widest ranges of Industrial Computing solutions, AIS solutions are available in a multitude of configurations for Industrial, Oil & Gas, Military and Marine applications.
The company is fully committed to empowering, improving and delivering turnkey HMI, monitoring and display solutions for OEM, ODM and end-user customers. AIS is an ISO 9001:2008 certified supplier and manufacturer of rugged computers and displays, and received completion of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) registration from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). For more information, visit: www.aispro.com, email: [email protected] or contact: 1-888-485-6688.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes ...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,118
Are your applications getting in the way of your business strategy? It’s time to rethink your IT approach. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Madhukar Kumar, Vice President, Product Management at Liaison Technologies, will discuss a new data-centric approach to IT that allows your data, not applications, to inform business strategy. By moving away from an application-centric IT model where data integration and analysis are subservient to the constraints of applications, your organization will b...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,476
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and eas...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,964
WSM International has launched a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of the organization. According to a recent press release from Gartner, "By 2016, DevOps will evolve from a niche strategy employed by large cloud ...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,121
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional S...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,700
SYS-CON Events announced today that QTS Realty Trust, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing providers of data center facilities and cloud services and a leader in security and compliance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. QTS Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: QTS) is a leading national provider of data center solutions and fully managed services, and a leader in security and compliance...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,165
SYS-CON Events announced today that WSM International (WSM), the world’s leading cloud and server migration services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. WSM is a solutions integrator with a core focus on cloud and server migration, transformation and DevOps services.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,164
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make sm...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,382
What’s inside the cloud? Hard work. Cloud operators know the world inside the datacenter is gritty. Vendor marketing speak and cloudwashing quickly melt in the heat of SLAs, uptime guarantees, and users who want it now. In his session at DevOps Summit, Hernan Alvarez, Chief Product Officer at Blue Box Group, will deliver an unvarnished look inside the world of cloud operators, from the perspective of someone who lives it. Attendees get a front-row look into the toolkits and processes that enabl...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,484
Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), and search analytics (SSA). We also provide Search and Big Data consulting services and offer 24/7 production support for Solr and Elasticsearch.
Mar. 28, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,432
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, will explain the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is r...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,920
Modern Systems announced completion of a successful project with its new Rapid Program Modernization (eavRPMa"c) software. The eavRPMa"c technology architecturally transforms legacy applications, enabling faster feature development and reducing time-to-market for critical software updates. Working with Modern Systems, the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) leveraged eavRPMa"c to transform its Student Information System from Software AG's Natural syntax to a modern application lev...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 828
Cloud is not a commodity. And no matter what you call it, computing doesn’t come out of the sky. It comes from physical hardware inside brick and mortar facilities connected by hundreds of miles of networking cable. And no two clouds are built the same way. SoftLayer gives you the highest performing cloud infrastructure available. One platform that takes data centers around the world that are full of the widest range of cloud computing options, and then integrates and automates everything. J...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,567
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,426
SYS-CON Events announced today Sematext Group, Inc., a Brooklyn-based Performance Monitoring and Log Management solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's DevOps Summit 2015 New York, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Sematext is a globally distributed organization that builds innovative Cloud and On Premises solutions for performance monitoring, alerting and anomaly detection (SPM), log management and analytics (Logsene), search analytics (S...
Mar. 28, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,332