|By Business Wire||
|May 7, 2014 09:12 AM EDT||
Millennial Media (NYSE:MM) today released Cross-Screen Consumer Behavior Decoded, a report that explores how demographics, content, and time of day influence cross-screen consumer behavior. The acceleration of multiple device ownership with faster network access around the globe has fueled the ability to reach consumers as they move from screen to screen. Working with marketing and measurement company comScore, this report was designed to educate brands, publishers and developers on the growing cross-screen movement in the advertising industry.
Key findings in the report include:
- The digital universe (Internet users) continues to expand – up four percent since April 2013 to 201 million users.
- Mobile-only users have grown at nine times this rate, while PC-only users have decreased 45 percent during the same period.
- 70 percent of digital users now access the Internet across both mobile and PC – up from 63 percent a year ago – due to consumers’ increased comfort moving across a number of devices to stay connected and consume content.
“The challenge for marketers is to understand how to communicate effectively with today’s cross-platform customers and uncover the right opportunities to reach them,” said Mollie Spilman, EVP, Global Sales and Operations at Millennial Media. “Our cross-screen report is designed to educate the industry on user behavior and how to best reach audiences as they move across screens throughout the day. To be successful marketers, we must create consistent experiences, independent of the media we use in our daily lives.”
This custom study analyzes cross-screen behaviors and content consumption among four key demographic groups: 18- to 24-year-olds, men aged 25-49, women aged 25-49, and people over the age of 50. Among the findings, mobile-only users ages 18-24 grew six percentage points in the year, while their time spent on smartphones grew 20 percent. The number of mobile users aged 50+ grew 17 percent in the last year, while the number of 50+ PC-only users decreased by the same amount.
Cross-Screen Behavior Driven by Content Consumed
The study also reveals that cross-screen behavior varies dramatically by the type of content consumed.
Among the finding:
- 61 percent of online time spent with Weather content occurs on a smartphone. Other top smartphone content types include Streaming Radio (79 percent), Games (79 percent), and Social Media (61 percent).
- Eighty percent of time spent with B2B content is still on a PC. Other top PC content types include Business/Finance (62 percent) and Sports (56 percent).
To access the full report, click here: http://www.millennialmedia.com/mobile-intelligence/special-reports/.
The insights here are based upon analysis of mobile measurement firm comScore’s Multi-Platform product, and Millennial Media’s global platform observations across thousands of mobile ad campaigns.
The study uses data sourced from comScore’s audience analytics products, including Media Metrix, Media Metrix Multi-Platform, and Mobile Metrix. Powering these products is comScore’s Unified Digital Measurement™ methodology, which combines person-level measurement from the 2 million person comScore global panel with census-informed tonnage of consumption that accounts for 100% of a media property’s audience. comScore Methodology:
- Media Metrix Multi-Platform U.S.; February 2013, April 2013, and January 2014
- Mobile Metrix 2.0; comScore’s Unified Digital Measurement; February 2013 and January 2014
About Millennial Media
Millennial Media is the leading independent mobile ad platform company, supporting the world’s top brands and mobile content providers. The company's unique data and technology assets enable its clients to connect with their target audiences as they move across screens, media, and moments. Millennial Media drives meaningful results at scale through a diverse suite of products fueled by innovation and the industry's smartest minds. For more information, visit www.millennialmedia.com.