|By Marketwired .||
|May 7, 2014 01:00 PM EDT||
KELOWNA, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/07/14 -- Department of Canadian Heritage
The performing arts continue to thrive in the Okanagan Valley, thanks to an investment of $15,000 in Canada Arts Presentation Fund support for the Kelowna Visual and Performing Arts Centre Society. The Honourable Ron Cannan, Member of Parliament (Kelowna-Lake Country), made this announcement today on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.
Funding will support the Society's 2014-2015 presentation series from September to April at the Rotary Centre for the Arts, a multidisciplinary visual and performing arts complex located in the heart of Kelowna's Cultural District.
The series will feature a variety of dance, theatre, music, comedy and interdisciplinary performances. A number of public outreach activities will also be offered, including pre-show artist talks, school performances and Live After 5: Jazz Jam, a live music showcase for the community's up-and-coming jazz musicians.
- The Kelowna Visual and Performing Arts Centre Society was founded in 1994. It manages and operates the Rotary Centre for the Arts in co-operation with the City of Kelowna.
- The Centre is the only facility of its kind in the Central Okanagan and was outfitted, in part, with support from the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund.
- The complex includes the 326-seat Mary Irwin Theatre; a set-building workshop; artist, dance and pottery studios; a painting and drawing room; and a rehearsal hall.
- The Canada Arts Presentation Fund gives Canadians increased access to the variety and richness of Canada's culture through professional arts festivals, presentations of live professional performances, and other artistic experiences.
"Culture plays an important role in healthy communities. Our Government is committed to enhancing access to artistic experiences for all residents of British Columbia and is pleased to support the contemporary performing arts in the Okanagan Valley."
- The Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"The Kelowna Visual and Performing Arts Centre Society is an important organization that enriches the cultural life of Kelowna and its surrounding communities. Thanks to its efforts, residents and visitors have the opportunity to enjoy performances from professional artists and experience a variety of artistic disciplines."
- The Honourable Ron Cannan, Member of Parliament (Kelowna-Lake Country)
"The Canada Arts Presentation Fund is integral to the Rotary Centre for the Arts' ability to bring extraordinary artists from across Canada to the Okanagan Region. This funding enables us to present a season that engages and enriches our audience, with artists from diverse Canadian cultural backgrounds and genres."
- Patrick LeBlanc, General Manager, Rotary Centre for the Arts
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage
and Official Languages
A/Regional Communications Manager