|By Business Wire||
|May 8, 2014 08:31 AM EDT||
OmniTI, a leading provider of web infrastructures and applications for companies that require scalable, high-performance, mission critical solutions, today announced its newest release of OmniOS, the open-source operating system built for the Solaris, OpenSolaris and Illumos communities. This release is incremental, but addresses several issues important to those deploying in the enterprise and regulated environments.
First publicly released in April 2012, OmniOS is a continuation of the OpenSolaris legacy and aims to address the longstanding issues that occurred when Oracle discontinued open development of the operating system. OmniOS builds on Illumos to make a complete Operating System solution. OmniOS is a free and open alternative to Oracle Solaris 11. Affordable OmniOS support is offered at several levels and a discount is offered to educational and non-profit institutions.
Key highlights of the release include:
- ZFS performance and reliability improvements
- ZFS bookmarks for easier sending and receiving of ZFS file systems
- OmniOS can now execute the Illumos test suites
- Improvements in libumem(3umem) performance
- NFS reliability improvements
- Increase DTrace visibility inside non-global zones
- Grub composite console (grub console on multiple screens)
Several improvements to hardware support including:
- SATA support for nVidia MCP61 chipsets
- Supports the Intel I354 Ethernet chipset
- Areca 1882 SCSI adapter support
Robert Treat, CEO of OmniTI said, “This latest release of OmniOS addresses some key issues; all of the new features increase reliability and improve the speed or support for additional devices.”
The newest version of OmniOS is immediately available for download at omnios.omniti.com.
For companies experiencing issues associated with growth and scalability of their customer-facing websites, OmniTI is the leading Web Scalability and Performance provider using a cross-disciplinary approach to achieve unparalleled levels of web and database performance. We enable revenue growth, outstanding customer experience, underlying infrastructure reliability and faster time-to-market.