|By Business Wire||
|May 8, 2014 08:34 AM EDT||
A new report from Iron Mountain® Incorporated (NYSE: IRM), the storage and information management company, and TechTarget, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTGT), the technology media company, suggests organizations have room to improve when it comes to getting rid of old computers, cell phones, hard drives, servers and other data storage devices.
Titled Enterprises have Room for Improvement in Secure IT Asset Disposition, the newly released report indicates that while IT and business professionals have made advances in their efforts to securely dispose of data center, storage and office equipment, additional work is required to protect the information stored on these devices, comply with data privacy laws, and recoup some of the device’s original value through recycling. Some of the report’s key insights include:
- Organizations dispose of IT storage devices to avoid risk: More often than not, an organization’s goals in enacting a Secure IT Asset Disposition (SITAD) policy focus on mitigating risks like losing proprietary data (89 percent of respondents) or avoiding legal and compliance headaches associated with protecting privacy (74 percent). However, other positive benefits of a SITAD program like reducing space issues or recouping financial investments are largely overlooked, with the exception of sustainability, which 63 percent of respondents cite as a program goal.
- Enterprises struggle with SITAD program implementation and compliance: Almost half of respondents – 46 percent – acknowledged that they either don’t have a formal SITAD plan or that their formal plan isn’t widely adopted across their organization. Findings indicate that the lack of widespread compliance among employees stems from insufficient education about SITAD policies or inadequate oversight in how employees implement those policies.
- IT and business executives agree that SITAD is a significant concern: Three quarters of both business leaders and their IT counterparts state they are either concerned or very concerned about potential shortcomings in their SITAD programs. That concern doesn’t seem to translate into program improvements, however, due to the misperceptions that comprehensive programs cost more and that flaws in their current systems aren’t posing urgent risks for the organization.
- Third-party specialists are primarily utilized for hardware disposal: Sixty-four percent of respondents currently leverage outside SITAD experts to some degree – notably to dispose of hardware, including data center equipment like servers and computers and mobile phones. However, organizations can further leverage third-party specialists for guidance on strategy and success metrics. While cost is cited as the biggest obstacle in pursuing help from outside resources (45 percent of respondent), third-party experts can often save organizations money by assessing the value of decommissioned equipment and then recycling it to recoup a portion of the original investment.
“The secure disposition of IT assets will continue to be a top priority for organizations as we face increasingly complex technological, legal and compliance environments,” said Jay Livens, director of product and solutions marketing, data management, Iron Mountain. “When looking to properly dispose of computers, cell phones, servers and other storage devices, organizations should do so in a compliant, environmentally correct manner to ensure they’re meeting all internal and external data privacy requirements and recouping the maximum economic value from their used equipment.”
In light of the survey’s findings, Iron Mountain offers the following SITAD tips and best practices:
- Ensure all computer media and associated data is permanently destroyed and non-recoverable before disposing of the storage device.
- Establish a defensible, documented, and repeatable process to prepare, handle or transport, and destroy the data that resides on electronic media.
- Improve audit readiness using workflows that include security personnel assigned to monitor the destruction process.
- Ensure media scheduled for offsite destruction is securely transported with dedicated routes, 24x7 GPS tracking, thoroughly vetted drivers and a well-documented chain-of-custody.
- Avoid inadvertent disclosures by destroying sensitive or unencrypted data in the right manner at the right time.
- Establish methodologies that ensure reliability and consistency from collection through final destruction of end-of-life IT assets.
- Pursuing third-party vendors that are e-Stewards Certified Recyclers, meaning they adhere to the highest standard of environmental responsibility and worker safety, while protecting human health and the global environment.
TechTarget’s study was based on 125 responses from registered visitors to SearchDataCenter.com. The full report with complete survey data is available at www.ironmountain.com/itassets
About Iron Mountain
Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) is a leading provider of storage and information management services. The company’s real estate network of over 67 million square feet across more than 1,000 facilities in 36 countries allows it to serve customers with speed and accuracy. And its solutions for records management, data management, document management, and secure shredding help organizations to lower storage costs, comply with regulations, recover from disaster, and better use their information for business advantage. Founded in 1951, Iron Mountain stores and protects billions of information assets, including business documents, backup tapes, electronic files and medical data. Visit www.ironmountain.com for more information.
SYS-CON Events announced today that FierceDevOps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FierceDevOps keeps software developers and IT operations personnel updated on the latest news and trends around the rapidly evolving role of the traditional IT worker.
Mar. 29, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,382
WHOA.com has announced the newest addition to its data center footprint with the expansion into Equinix's newest state-of-the-art facility: DC-11 Washington, DC IBX+. Located in Ashburn, VA, this data center expands Whoa.com's presence to meet rapidly expanding customer demand for secure cloud solutions. Equinix, Inc. operates International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers in 32 markets across 15 countries in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. Equinix is committed to operating faciliti...
Mar. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,066
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabili...
Mar. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,421
Hosted PaaS providers have given independent developers and startups huge advantages in efficiency and reduced time-to-market over their more process-bound counterparts in enterprises. Software frameworks are now available that allow enterprise IT departments to provide these same advantages for developers in their own organization. In his workshop session at DevOps Summit, Troy Topnik, ActiveState’s Technical Product Manager, will show how on-prem or cloud-hosted Private PaaS can enable organ...
Mar. 28, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,110
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,504
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 28, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,759
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborat...
Mar. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,168
WSM International is launching a DevOps services division that offers assessment, consulting and implementation to large enterprises and organizations with complex infrastructures. This is the first independent services company to create a dedicated practice to help organizations looking to transition to the DevOps model. The concept of DevOps is to blend information technology (IT) software development with operations to optimize the computing infrastructure according to the specific needs of ...
Mar. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,483
SYS-CON Events announced today that the DevOps Institute has been named “Association Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The DevOps Institute provides enterprise level training and certification. Working with thought leaders from the DevOps community, the IT Service Management field and the IT training market, the DevOps Institute is setting the standard in quality for DevOps education and training.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 979
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting we...
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,317
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,434
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things...
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,793
Today, IT is not just a cost center. IT is an enabler and driver of business. With the emergence of the hybrid cloud paradigm, IT now has increasingly more capabilities to create new strategic opportunities for a business. Hybrid cloud allows an organization to utilize multi-tenant public clouds, dedicated private clouds, bare metal hosting, and the associated support and services for the right use cases through an on-demand, XaaS model. This model of IT creates tremendous opportunities for busi...
Mar. 28, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,057
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,406
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a “Make or Buy” decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud busi...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,288